How to record an audio clip...

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

How to record an audio clip...

Post by JohnMayo »

To record an audio clip using the built in functionality of Windows XP and a microphone that is successfully connected to your computer.

Go to the Start Menu: Programs: Accessories: Entertainment and launch Sound Recorder. Sound recorder is a very basic audio recording program. Click the button with the red circle on it to start recording. Then start talking. When you are done talking, click the button with the black square to stop the recording. Go to File/Save and save the file as a .WAV file.

It you want to cut down the file size, set the Format to "PCM" and the Attributes to "44100 kHz, 16 bit Mono".

WAV files are large but mono file are half the size of stereo files.

The same basic steps should work on Windows Vista but the sound Recorder interface has been upgraded. There is a "Start Recording" button to start recording. It changes to a "Stop Recording" button while you are recording. This new version of Sound recorder saves the files as WMA files instead of WAV files.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

When I follow those instructions, using Windows XP, it appears to limit me to a 60 second audio file. Do you know what's up with that?: Is there a way to record a longer file (I assume there is, but I don't see anything in the Help section on that). So help? :^)

ADDENDUM: oops! Never mind - I just figured it out: you just hit the red button again and it give you another 60 seconds, etc., etc.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Another thing to try is Audacity. It's free and works on a variety of OS's.

This is what I use: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

BobBretall wrote:Another thing to try is Audacity. It's free and works on a variety of OS's.

This is what I use: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Audacity is a *much* better tool to use for recording clips.

The above instructions were for people who wanted to be able to record clips without downloading additional software.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

In Audacity, once your microphone is set up, it's really simple.

1) Hit the Record button (the dot)
2) Talk!
3) Hit the Stop button when done (the square)
4) File Menu -> Export as MP3
Chris Campbell
Fan

Post by Chris Campbell »

John,

Have you had problems with MP3s created using GarageBand? I was planning on using that program, if it doesn't cause problems.

Chris
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Chris Campbell wrote:John,

Have you had problems with MP3s created using GarageBand? I was planning on using that program, if it doesn't cause problems.

Chris
As long as the output is a valid MP3 file, there shouldn't be a problem. GarageBand should work fine.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

JohnMayo wrote:

Chris
As long as the output is a valid MP3 file, there shouldn't be a problem. GarageBand should work fine.
I use GarageBand to record the files I send to you guys.
Chris Campbell
Fan

Post by Chris Campbell »

HassanT wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:

Chris
I use GarageBand to record the files I send to you guys.
Well I sent them in. We'll see if I screwed something up. I recorded them, sent them to itunes as a podcast, and then dragged the files into an email.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

What type of mics does everyone use? I don't have one, other than my iPhone earbuds with mic, and I'm not sure how well their quality would be.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

I use the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 (it's a headset w/built-in mic), bought it at Best Buy & it works great for me.

Also very useful for the monthly Previews Skype call
drew
Master Reviewer

Re: How to record an audio clip...

Post by drew »

When I first started sending in clips for previews, I just used the doc mic on my tablet and it worked fine...NO SPECIAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED...just record and email them to John
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
BertieRichards
Passerby

Post by BertieRichards »

Hi! This instruction is very useful, thanks for the submission! To record an audio, I have already tried a lot of complicated tricks, but your suggestion is pretty much better!
hasan459
Passerby

Post by hasan459 »

you can use audacity or "fastsone capture". it is very easy and simple using both software
hasan459
Passerby

Post by hasan459 »

i use faststone software to record audio and video, its very small software and it is very easy to use.