Weekly Comic Spotlight

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Weekly Comic Spotlight

Post by drew »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:Now that Weekly Comics Spotlight is on #350, it's time to reboot! Think about...all new #1 from the same website with the same hosts talking about the same topics and using the same format. Like I just said, ALL NEW! That should double your listener base.
do you work for marvel by any chance :lol:
SpideySavestheDay wrote: In all seriousness, episode 301 was like a new #1; switching up longtime hosts can dramatically change everything for the good or for the bad. In this case I would say the former. Overall, the goal still seems to be finding good comics to read and you guys have done that. I read Elephantmen and Astrocity - two books I would have glanced over at my LCS if it wasn't for your reviews. Drew is right - more people should be reading Astrocity. I know at my LCS the number of pulls for the previously mentioned comics are in the single digits.
Thanks for the kind words, big shoes to fill and it was tough to follow someone with all that longevity, it is also great to hear when something i/we love gets someone else to love it too
SpideySavestheDay wrote: The list of hopes and fears from this acquisition can be mighty long. For example...
> What if this is Amazon's first move in digital and print comics? Will they acquire a service like DCBS and capitalize on the market? I know they sell magazine subscriptions. Why not comic subscriptions?
whoa, never thought of that, that would be a gamechanger wouldn't it

SpideySavestheDay wrote: > Does Apple or someone else make an iPad friendly digital comics marketplace to rival Amazon's?
I was wondering this same thing, distributor wars all over again
SpideySavestheDay wrote: > What can the comic industry learn from music's failure to grasp onto digital?
well, DRM is not the way to go...rampant piracy probably not a good thing either...
SpideySavestheDay wrote: Thanks for the great podcasts.
Thanks for listening-we really appreciate it...and said so on a WCS podcast coming your way soon [WebWiz4]
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

fudd71 wrote:Great episode gentlemen! I must say personally I really enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man #1. I haven't read Amazing since around issue #650 somewhere in the middle to end of Big Time.
so you missed almost all of the Dan Slott run, think you will go back?
fudd71 wrote:You have both mentioned that you really enjoyed Original Sin #0, will you be getting into more detail when you review Original Sin #1 next episode? assumed a regular Marvel reader would find it a bit thin, especially for the price.
yep, i think we did get a bit more detailed, i really liked the character development and emotional connection in #0 but it was noticeably absent in #1 so i enjoyed it less...i try to factor in cost to the book's review (like the $1 Critter #20 issue) and sometimes i don't (w/ Spidey #1) i am not 100% consistent on that
fudd71 wrote:Next week you are also reviewing The 52 Futures End #1. Did you read the #0 issue of that series, will you be talking about it? Personally I loved the FCBD #0 issue and got a much better sense of what the series was about from that issue then I did the #1. The #1 issue was fine but the major setup really happened in the #0 issue.
John did but i did not (my mistake) after reading/reviewing #1 i then went back and read #0, it does explain things much better, although i still can't help but shake the feeling this is just DC's version of Age of Ultron, but hopefully better executed
Last edited by drew on Mon May 19, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:i still can't help but shake the feeling this is just DC's version of Age of Ultron, but hopefully better executed
I hadn't considered the idea of New 52: Futures End as an equivalent to Age of Ultron. I can see the similarities. I'm wondering if this and Earth 2: Futures End are setting up a New 52 take on Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

Another great episode guys. Drew you have been a great addition to the show. You mentioned the Motor City comic con. I went to it on Saturday. Great time. Really, really good deals. I use to go to this con every year for years but had to move away do to a new job about 7 years ago. For my all too soon upcoming 40th birthday I got together with some old friends and made my return. Very well organized show. Gets about 30 thousand fans each year( too early to know what this year did).
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

JohnMayo wrote:
drew102e wrote:i still can't help but shake the feeling this is just DC's version of Age of Ultron, but hopefully better executed
I hadn't considered the idea of New 52: Futures End as an equivalent to Age of Ultron. I can see the similarities. I'm wondering if this and Earth 2: Futures End are setting up a New 52 take on Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I haven't read Age of Ultron so I can't comment on that. With the Channel 52 page this week and Multiveristy coming I wonder if this a completely different earth? Maybe Earth 4(the next number we know nothing about), Earth 52 whatever.

But I'm not convinced this is Earth Prime (zero?) whatever the main DCU is designated these days.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I think the exsistance of Mr. Terrific as shown in issue 2 of Futures End and the original Mr. Terrific series from the New 52 wave 1 and Earth 2 from wave 2 shows this can't really be the main DCU. I also think what we know of Bother Eye from the O.M.A.C. series in wave 1 also hurts the argument that this is the main DCU
Earth 1 seems to be that OGN series world and I don't think they will mess with that yet.

Based on what we know about Earth 2 from that series and Worlds' finest I don't think it can be that one either.

The crime syndicate came from Earth 3 so I think that one is out as well.

I think those are the only Earths we have seen in the New 52? Did some of those Freedom Fighter mini series tell us what earth they were on? Earth 4 maybe? So this could be 5? or 6? who knows, while it could be the main DCU that doesn't seem to fit. Also in the very first mentions and announcements about this series it was said "the story takes place in a possible future" If they play with the idea that every choice creates an infinite number of alternate universes who knows what earth or reality this could be.

BTW Personally, I'm also not convinced the Batman Eternal is happening on the main DCU earth either, admittedly I have far fewer reasons on that one, just a hunch.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

the1captain wrote:Another great episode guys. Drew you have been a great addition to the show. You mentioned the Motor City comic con. I went to it on Saturday. Great time. Really, really good deals. I use to go to this con every year for years but had to move away do to a new job about 7 years ago. For my all too soon upcoming 40th birthday I got together with some old friends and made my return. Very well organized show. Gets about 30 thousand fans each year( too early to know what this year did).
i wanted to go but just couldnt pull it off this year, but it is definitely on my radar for 2015...that and C2E2....so many shows...
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

Just listened to 352...another great episode, John and Drew!

It's hard to believe it's been a year since Drew came onboard as co-host. Hey...time flies when things go so smoothly! :D You are doing a fantastic job, Drew. The chemistry between the two of you is excellent. Both of you are unafraid to share your analysis and opinions, yet you are respectful of one another...and respectful of your audience! You are informed and genuinely good people, and I'm sure everyone else here appreciates that, as well.

I have really enjoyed the addition to the Weekly Comic Spotlight format of the "General Discussion"...the "round-robin" talk of everything else you've been reading. It makes your weekly overview even more complete.

And each of you certainly do influence my comic buying. Each week, I invariably either purchase a title you mention or put it on my wish list. Most recently, it was the "Batman Eternal" series. I was going to skip it, but you guys convinced me to at least give it a shot...and I'm glad I did because I'm quite enjoying it. Alternatively, you've convinced me that, at least for now, it's okay for me to skip "Original Sin" until it appears on Marvel Unlimited in 6 months. Really looking forward to the Zero issue...but I'll wait until then. (My money for "Batman Eternal" has to come from somewhere.) :D

Anyway...you guys have a great thing going. Thanks for the hours of comics podcasting entertainment!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

ComicTrekker wrote:Just listened to 352...another great episode, John and Drew! Thanks for the hours of comics podcasting entertainment!
Thank you for the kind words, and when you launch your podcast sign me up, i would listen to you read the phone book...if they still made those :lol:
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

fudd71 wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:

I haven't read Age of Ultron so I can't comment on that. With the Channel 52 page this week and Multiveristy coming I wonder if this a completely different earth? Maybe Earth 4(the next number we know nothing about), Earth 52 whatever.

But I'm not convinced this is Earth Prime (zero?) whatever the main DCU is designated these days.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I think the exsistance of Mr. Terrific as shown in issue 2 of Futures End and the original Mr. Terrific series from the New 52 wave 1 and Earth 2 from wave 2 shows this can't really be the main DCU. I also think what we know of Bother Eye from the O.M.A.C. series in wave 1 also hurts the argument that this is the main DCU
Earth 1 seems to be that OGN series world and I don't think they will mess with that yet.

Based on what we know about Earth 2 from that series and Worlds' finest I don't think it can be that one either.

The crime syndicate came from Earth 3 so I think that one is out as well.

I think those are the only Earths we have seen in the New 52? Did some of those Freedom Fighter mini series tell us what earth they were on? Earth 4 maybe? So this could be 5? or 6? who knows, while it could be the main DCU that doesn't seem to fit. Also in the very first mentions and announcements about this series it was said "the story takes place in a possible future" If they play with the idea that every choice creates an infinite number of alternate universes who knows what earth or reality this could be.

BTW Personally, I'm also not convinced the Batman Eternal is happening on the main DCU earth either, admittedly I have far fewer reasons on that one, just a hunch.
In the recent issue of Detective Comics they mention certain events taking place in Eternal. So I'm going to assume Eternal is in continuity. But to be honest it doesn't really matter to me. I just want a good bat story.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

You gentlemen were asking about other opinions on the Batman '66 meets theGreen Hornet. I am a huge fan of the original ABC television series, I use to watch the episodes, twice a day for my entire youth. I really enjoyed this issue and would give it a 4/5 (It is extremely rare for me to give 5/5, only 3 issues all of 2013 and none so far in 2014) I simply loved this issue. I think we are stuck with Colonel Gumm as the villain for this entire series. I think this is in loving tribute to the original television crossover where Colonel Gumm played by Roger Carmel (John I'm sure would recognize as the actor who played Harry Mudd in the original Star Trek show) was the villain with a counterfeit stamp scam. While I'm sure Kevin Smith is involved in the writing of this series I would bet Ralph Garman has as much if not more to do with the writing of this series (Kevin even says as much on a podcast). Ralph is a huge Batman '66 fan and was the man who spearheaded Adam West getting a star on the Hollywood walk of fame and in general has helped bring Adam West back into the public eye from a point when he was almost forgotten 20-25 years ago.

For those interested there is a great podcast with Kevin and Ralph talking about this issue and Ralph doing a dramatic reading of the issue.

link to episode #066 was Fatman on Batman podcast
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I wish they would release the entire series on DVD/BluRay so I could go watch the Colonel Gumm episodes.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

JohnMayo wrote:I wish they would release the entire series on DVD/BluRay so I could go watch the Colonel Gumm episodes.
Youtube john. I recently watched the entire Green Hornet series on there. There is a channel that is dedicated to the Green Hornet and it includes the Batman episodes.
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

Actually just looked. That channel has been suspended. lol But I'm sure the odd episode might still be on there somewhere.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

ThomasMartin wrote:I didn't see an established thread to discuss and give feedback on the current show and thought there needed to be one. :)

I have to agree with John about the continuity problems he mentioned in his review of Ant-Man #1 (ep. #387). I was initially excited about the series because I had become a fan of Scott Lang through his role in FF. But, based on pre-launch publicity, I quickly surmised that version of Scott was going to be swept under the rug or completely ignored and I passed on pre-ordering it. Listening to the review, I see I was completely on base with my assumption. I don't have a problem with Marvel tweaking a character to fit their current plans, but it's not like the character has been dormant for years. FF only ended last year. To have a character go from being Reed Richards chosen and very capable replacement to a complete mess is more than a bit jarring undermines previous character development. I think they could have reset the status quo a little less abruptly by including a few panels at least acknowledging the characters recent past. It's fan service, I know, but the movie isn't out yet, so who do they think is buying this comic right now? Unless they just want to get six issues out so they can have a trade ready when the movie comes out.

Plus, the Future Foundation figured out for Cassie to come back which would have opened up some interesting story possibilities. I'm kind of bummed we'll never see that played out.
I thought we had a thread, just not much activity recently; gotta agree on your Ant-man take, it is a bit divergent from FF version...i am used to that from Marvel so it did not bother me as much as it did John, think you guys may be closer to the correct take on it...
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Heard the latest WCS and a podcast about the different multiverse worlds sounds interesting. Let people know if this is something we can help with. I could do some of the research to find out where the worlds originated from, what issues to read, where they are collected, or was it from another type of media. Perhaps this could be another roundtable or even a special listener participation episode like Previews. Whatever happens let us know.

Keep up the good work.