Weekly Comic Spotlight

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

RacerX5150
Passerby

Re: Weekly Comic Spotlight

Post by RacerX5150 »

In regards to episode #422 and Journey to The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire, the title "Journey to...." is on any story the takes place in the 33 years between Return and Force Awakens. This 4 issue mini is just one short story (the first, chronologically) to take place after episode 6.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion over the lack of progression in issue #1.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

RacerX5150 wrote:In regards to episode #422 and Journey to The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire, the title "Journey to...." is on any story the takes place in the 33 years between Return and Force Awakens. This 4 issue mini is just one short story (the first, chronologically) to take place after episode 6.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion over the lack of progression in issue #1.
It does. Thanks. I was thinking it was a miniseries along the lines of the Countdown miniseries which lead into the Star Trek reboot movie.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
RacerX5150
Passerby

Post by RacerX5150 »

[quote="JohnMayo"
It does. Thanks. I was thinking it was a miniseries along the lines of the Countdown miniseries which lead into the Star Trek reboot movie.[/quote]

That understandable. This was the first item I saw solicited with the "Journey to Force Awakens" tag and came to the same conclusion, until I realized there are novels and other graphic media (not sure how to revert to the small books with some illustrations in them) with similar rootless. :)
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Well we got our wish for a Mockingbird series, writer is the same (Chelsea Cain) no artist announced yet (fingers crossed for Joelle Jones)

With an anticipated Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff on the horizon, it's probably no surprise that the All-New All-Different Marvel would want to give fan-favorite former Avenger Mockingbird a series of her own.

The series will be written by novelist Chelsea Cain, according to Newsarama. No details on artists or story were available yet, and the project was announced at the Diamond Retailer Summit earlier today.
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:Well we got our wish for a Mockingbird series, writer is the same (Chelsea Cain) no artist announced yet (fingers crossed for Joelle Jones)
Cool. That should be a fun series.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

During the latest episode John and Drew were trying to figure out the length of Batman and Robin Eternal. The book is supposed to run for 6 months (so probably 26 issues) - http://www.newsarama.com/26313-batman-r ... ecret.html.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

doctormo wrote:During the latest episode John and Drew were trying to figure out the length of Batman and Robin Eternal. The book is supposed to run for 6 months (so probably 26 issues) - http://www.newsarama.com/26313-batman-r ... ecret.html.
yeah - that makes more sense than a full year
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

Eric Stephenson of Image Comics is interviewed by Rich Johnston at Bleeding Cool - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/22/ ... -edmonson/. In the interview Eric discuss the late issues and how many issues must be complete before a title is solicited. The is also an interesting discuss about variant covers and other sales related stuff. I will also post this link in the Mayo Report's thread.

Clearly Drew and/or John slipped Rich some questions. :D
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

doctormo wrote:Eric Stephenson of Image Comics is interviewed by Rich Johnston at Bleeding Cool - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/22/ ... -edmonson/. In the interview Eric discuss the late issues and how many issues must be complete before a title is solicited. The is also an interesting discuss about variant covers and other sales related stuff. I will also post this link in the Mayo Report's thread.

Clearly Drew and/or John slipped Rich some questions. :D
very cool - thanks for sharing
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

In the last couple of episodes, you guys have brought up Batman and Robin Eternal. Stating the the first issue seemed to start off a bit slow, and each subsequent one has been better. I waiting until I had 1-4 in hand to sit down. I agree, the first one took a bit to get going, but after 4 in, i am enjoying this WAY more than Batman Eternal or Futures End. I wonder if part of it is because they are not dragging this out to 52 issues, or if Tynion IV is just rocking. The interplay between the Robin's is classic, and I love how they all know their own style. Red Robin with the tech gizmos, Red Hood as a total bad (bleep) with total disregard, and Grayson who is the fatherly and gentle leader. Is Dick going to come out wearing the Bat costume again? (doubt it, but fun to think about :)). Just my thoughts on the series thus far.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

@John and Drew - The Nicola Scott book you were trying to remember was Earth 2. She also worked on Birds of Prey and Secret Six.

I read Art Ops and I walked away thinking this was the first chapter of something...that something I am still trying to work out. IMO Shaun Simon's writing can be a bit eclectic at times, and he forgets to explain parts of the plot or all of the rules. This 'shorthand' is something I had to get used to when I read True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys. I am not sure whether or not I am picking up the second issue. The Mike Allred artwork is what go me interested in the title. That is why I recommended Art Ops during the Previews Spotlight episode. Based on what I have read on Newsarama or CBR, Allred is going to shift from providing pencils to inks (and the cover) because of his Silver Surfer demands.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

doctormo wrote:@John and Drew - The Nicola Scott book you were trying to remember was Earth 2. She also worked on Birds of Prey and Secret Six.
ohhhh, yeah, thanks
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

@John & Drew - Peter Tomasi is the ongoing writer of Detective Comics, but this could change given this is DC Comics. I think Tomasi has a pretty good track record of writing between the main books crevices. He did it when he wrote GLC during Geoff Johns' run on GL, and the New 52 Batman and Robin series.

Also, Buccellato and Manapul decided to leave the title to work on other projects http://www.newsarama.com/25600-buccella ... napul.html. Manapul is doing a couple issues of Justice League and some other stuff.

John - I agree with your assessment of Uncanny X-Men #600; the book took so long to come out that it felt flat overall. I blame that entirely on the delay. However, I did think there was some really good character moments.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

doctormo wrote:@John & Drew - Peter Tomasi is the ongoing writer of Detective Comics, but this could change given this is DC Comics. I think Tomasi has a pretty good track record of writing between the main books crevices. He did it when he wrote GLC during Geoff Johns' run on GL, and the New 52 Batman and Robin series.

Also, Buccellato and Manapul decided to leave the title to work on other projects http://www.newsarama.com/25600-buccella ... napul.html
I really like the tomasi run on batman and robin...and buccelato's detective never got any traction for me, so I have high hopes for the series going forward
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Thanks to TJ for the support on my (occasional) factoring price point into my grade; I am concerned about what the listener's think...