Weekly Comic Spotlight

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Weekly Comic Spotlight

Post by drew »

i agree with all of that, if neil gaiman had disavowed any additional sandman comics and DC did it anyway i would have not been half as interested in the book
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I too agree with what you are saying. Had Sandman Overture not been by Neil Gaiman my feeling would have been much like they were for Before Watchman.

I am disappointed that the second issue has been delayed. I think DC is canceling the ordered and will re-solicit it. Hopefully that won't hurt the story momentum too much for me.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Listening to this week's episode I just wanted to chime in with my opinion on Harley Quinn #0. I absolutely loved it, I am thinking of changing my vote for DC single issue of the year to it over on the year end thread. Maybe I am just very in sync with Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner's sense of humor but I loved the issue much like I did their Power Girl series a number of years back.

I realize you can't be quite this wacky each issue and with every character, but what I liked most about this issue was the sense of fun. I am probably out of touch with the modern reader but this is still comics, the root word comes from comedy. Everything is so serious these days there seems to very little of bright colors and fun left in comics. This was a refreshing change and very enjoyable to me.

Also, who the ongoing artist will be was brought up. It looks like Chad Hardin will be the regular artist on the book with Amanda Conner doing covers. Chad Hardin was not featured in the zero issue as best as I can tell. He did the Shadow Thief Villains' Month issue and the last few issues of Demon Knights.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

fudd71 wrote:Chad Hardin was not featured in the zero issue as best as I can tell. He did the Shadow Thief Villains' Month issue and the last few issues of Demon Knights.
Odd that Chad didn't do anything for the #0 issue but as I recall, the art in the Shadow Thief issue was pretty good.
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

Larime Taylor is a guy. Pretty incredible story.
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

comicm wrote:Larime Taylor is a guy. Pretty incredible story.
He emailed us and kindly provided that piece of information. We publicly apologize in the episode that goes up Monday. Both the story of A Voice in the Dark and the story behind it are pretty incredible.
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

Drew, just out of curiosity how many monthlies were you getting before coming onto the show and how many are you getting now?
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

comicm wrote:Drew, just out of curiosity how many monthlies were you getting before coming onto the show and how many are you getting now?
lol... :lol: Great question.

For whatever it is worth, if anything: I've been podcasting for ages now. I was reading around 25 comics a week before podcasting and I'm averaging about twice that now. For me, some of that increase has come from some great recommendations and some has come from the increase in output from some of the publishers. Or at least an increase in the the sort of stuff I like. In other words, some of the increase is because my tastes and awareness of what is out there have grown and changed over the years a little. But a lot/most of it is a matter of there being more comics within my interest zone now than there were back then.

I am curious how doing this podcast has impacted Drew's comic book buying.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

comicm wrote:Drew, just out of curiosity how many monthlies were you getting before coming onto the show and how many are you getting now?
Before WCS - less than 10 comic titles a month (Walking Dead, Batman, Superior, Saga, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Before Watchmen and a few others) all from my LCS

After WCS - it fluctuates between 50-70 titles each month 85% from DCBS
majority of my comics are still floppy but i am reading an increasing # of digital titles, love what monkey brain, panelsyndicate and thrillbent are doing...

I blame this on John's wicked influence (he's kind of like a drug dealer)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

WOW! a 400%+ increase in your reading. That is amazing, I simply couldn't image that type of increase that quickly.
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

I am still fluctuating around 200 titles a month but have been there for quite some time. Wow at the rate of growth you are growing you will catch up to me real soon. There is no turning back now.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:Before WCS - less than 10 comic titles a month (Walking Dead, Batman, Superior, Saga, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Before Watchmen and a few others) all from my LCS

After WCS - it fluctuates between 50-70 titles each month 85% from DCBS
majority of my comics are still floppy but i am reading an increasing # of digital titles, love what monkey brain, panelsyndicate and thrillbent are doing...

I blame this on John's wicked influence (he's kind of like a drug dealer)
I'm glad I've been able to help you find some new titles to read. I'm also very glad you have returned the favor and gotten me hooked on some titles that had managed to fly under my radar. The Private Eye and A Voice in the Dark are two such examples of that.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

holy smokes...moon knight reboot...dibs
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I was just listening to this weeks episode and I have to agree with Drew about the new Serenity book being geared heavily toward die-hard fanatics or at least casual fans with eidetic memories.

I watched the show when it was broadcast in late 2002, I was a fan but watched more because my wife was a die-hard. I also bought and watched the show on DVD when it was released in late 2003. I went to the theatre to see Serenity in the fall of 2005 and bought the DVD later that same year.

All that being said it has been over 11 years since the original broadcasts and 8 since the film. The writer of this book seemed to think the average reader had it all memorized or has watched much more recently. My memory simply wasn't good enough to remember enough to enjoy this new book. I don't think the book did itself any favors by being so focused on only most die-hards. Even my wife who is a pretty big fan thought the book was inaccessible.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I agree the characters weren't reintroduced very well and they were leaning heavily on people already being fans of the property. I felt like enough of the major plot points from the movie were mentioned in the opening pages to make the issue reasonably accessible. Can you guys explain what you felt out of the loop on which made you feel it was inaccessible? Or was it more a matter of you understood what was going on but just connect with it?