Mayo Report

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Perseus
Reviewer

Re: Mayo Report

Post by Perseus »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/25/ ... -20142015/

John, I know it's Bleeding Cool, but what do you think of this news?
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I'm not surprised. DC hasn't been doing well for a while. Convergence didn't go over well and they additional costs for moving to Burbank didn't help them either.

The follow up article DC Tells Editors, Stop Batgirling, Go Back To Meat And Potatoes doesn't surprise me either. I've always been a fan of selling comics based on good, solid storytelling and not by cover gimmicks, relaunches and/or storyline gimmicks of replacing a character or a major shake up of the status quo.

The problem at DC isn't who is Batman or if Superman has a secret identity or not. They were able to tell good stories with the characters for decades. Sure, what the audience wanted changes radically over the decades and sometimes they were more on target than other times. The need to go back to chronicling the "lives" of the characters instead of telling disconnected stories with them. Each of the stories needs to impact the character to some degree and that impact doesn't have to be life altering or world shattering. The don't need to even reference the past stories directly but they have to act like those stories did happen to the characters.

Ironically, this latest editorial edict is just another change in direction for what already seems like a directionless line of comics. As a big DC fan for decades, I'm disappointed by the output of DC in recent years.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

Following this story today got me thinking. Many people follow creators as much, if not more than particular characters. But besides Snyder and Capullo, who are the creators at DC that fans are talking about? Years ago a Marvel editor got a lot of flack for saying the characters, not the creators, sell books. This seems to be the thinking of current DC editorship. And with that reasoning one can see why image comics continues to increase market share and DC is losing ground.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

JohnMayo wrote:Ironically, this latest editorial edict is just another change in direction for what already seems like a directionless line of comics.
John, I cannot agree more. It might be time for a change up top. The current leadership of Didio, Lee, Johns, and Nelson don't seem to know what kind of comics they want to publish. They deserve credit for the New 52 launch, the return of the weekly comic, and holding down the average price of a comic longer than most. Unfortunately, the failures of Convergence, missed opportunities of the New 52 line, delayed books, and one factor outside of DC's control, the loss of Bob Wayne, is weighing DC down.
the1captain wrote:who are the creators at DC that fans are talking about?
The only other 'big' name I can think of is Geoff Johns on Justice League.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

Hey John -

Just listened to the new Trade report, and you nailed it on the head regarding Marvel trades. Diamond had a blowout sale, most HC's that normally retail between 14.99 - 24.99 were about $2-$4 per book to shops. We normally stock 1 or 2 of main name titles in our store, as we are smaller, but we went pretty heavy on the blowout sales. If you consider a normal Marvel book for us costs anywhere from 50-60% of the cover price (let's assume it's a $19.99 SRP), we pay $10. The ability to buy 5 for the price of 1 is pretty luring.

Add to that that we only need to sell 1 at SRP to recoup the costs and make the margin we live with. The other 4 cent be put on shelves, and sit for a year without costing us a dime. If they don't sell at that time, we can do a 50% new HC/Trade table and move some, or take them to local conventions, offer them up as raffle prizes for charity raffles, etc.

I can't remember if it was the the following month, or the same, but DC Direct figures were on blowout from Diamond as well. I am wondering if in general each of the big two were clearing room for some new inventory they are planning.

Love report episodes, thanks!
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

Now that Secret War is being extended by an issue (http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... ine-issues), I wonder if Marvel will adjust their shipping date for the collections. I assumed Secret Wars would be out in time for the holidays just like Vertigo's Sandman collection.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

I came across this article from a retailer that has an interesting spin on the variant cover discussion - http://13thdimension.com/variants-arent ... s-tougher/.

The Mayo Report had a fascinating discussion about the Book of Death incentives. I would love to hear John and Sam's thoughts on Marvel's hip hop incentive covers. A retailer in Canada has a graphic that provides ordering info for the variant covers - http://www.strangeadventures.com/wp-con ... -poops.jpg.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

doctormo wrote: The Mayo Report had a fascinating discussion about the Book of Death incentives. I would love to hear John and Sam's thoughts on Marvel's hip hop incentive covers. A retailer in Canada has a graphic that provides ordering info for the variant covers - http://www.strangeadventures.com/wp-con ... -poops.jpg.
Some of those Hip-Hop covers are beautiful, and as a hip-hop fan I really want to carry them all. But, Marvel's threshold to qualify for the ability to order some of them are way too extreme. There is no way I'm going to "chase the variant" and get stuck with tons of unsalable copies just for a DMX cover
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

Hi John, is it possible for you to do a breakdown graph (past 10-15-20 years?) on those diamond dollars sales (comics and trades combined and separated)? Marvel, DC, Image

Could be interesting to see if there´s a noticeable recent drop that damages DC or if this is something that has been gradually happening. If the drop is indeed a fact at all or just Bleeding Cool clickbait. It could just be Marvel and Image that is selling more while DC is holding steady. I think Drew posted a link awhile back that comic sales are higher now compared to the early 2000s?

It seems many old fans were annoyed by the new52 and whoever was left is disappointed in convergence... there is certainly a complaining buzz going around comic sites.

Then again comic fans are always complaining :-)

Still cant get into superman... but Batman, Grayson and new pickup Batgirl is quite good. (readable by a marvel fan, though i probably wont stay on if/when they change Grayson back to Nightwing) About the new person in the the batrabbitsuit, sure it feels weird and an odd choice of replacement but at least in Snyders title Bruce haven´t been doing many appearances out of his cape so doesn´t do much difference to the actual story.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Hey Sam - I really thought Batman #44 was a welcome return to the character and solid detective storytelling; I know you had lost enthusiasm for the title, and was wondering did you like the latest?

Also-with latest rash of DC titles ending, any trends in the DCYou first wave sales that may show future titles on the hot seat?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
NDHorse
Contributor

Post by NDHorse »

Just listened to the most recent Mayo Report - Trades. Enjoyable as always. One thing you commented on was all of the books (Vampirella, Dracula, Grimm, and Fear Nothing) that are on the trade list from #22-26 with about 2500 copies sold. These were all a part of last month's Comic Bento. Comic Bento has to have gotten these at a steep discount, especially since last month's sales made up about 80% of their total sales.

John, I know you commented on one of your SDCC podcasts that you spoke with Comic Bento there and they said they don't usually order from Diamond. However,it looks like they definitely use them sometimes.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

NDHorse wrote:John, I know you commented on one of your SDCC podcasts that you spoke with Comic Bento there and they said they don't usually order from Diamond. However,it looks like they definitely use them sometimes.
I wonder if they negotiate with the publishers and feel they are dealing with the publisher but Diamond is handling the fulfillment.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

Hi John and Sam,

In the last Mayo Report podcast you indicated that S.H.I.E.L.D. and Groot were ongoing Marvel titles. Both books will be ending and will be relaunched. Marc Guggenheim is scheduled to take over from Mark Waid (http://comicbook.com/2015/07/18/arrows- ... ts-of-s-h/). Groot will combine with Rocket Raccoon to form a new title (http://www.newsarama.com/25841-marvel-a ... eries.html). Borrowing from Oprah..."You get a relaunch and You get a relaunch, Every title gets relaunched!". Whether or not the relaunches will maintain any of the sales gains a new number brings remains to be seen.

Thanks for everything,
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

Listening to the last May Report - Comics edition again, and I keyed in on a conversation that I clearly missed while listening the first time. There was a brief discussion about going back to a weekly book for top tier characters. I think, John, you talked about the Avengers.

I would love this for Batman. In fact, I propose that it would be weekly 24 page issues for $1.99. I don't know if the price-point could support that, but I think that is where the price would need to be to keep a dedicated readership on the book. I would gladly shell out $10 per month for 4-5 stories. Add in a stipulation that if you want to do a multi-part story, it must be wrapped up by the end of the month. You could do a rotation of creators either weekly or monthly.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

doctormo wrote:In the last Mayo Report podcast you indicated that S.H.I.E.L.D. and Groot were ongoing Marvel titles. Both books will be ending and will be relaunched.
Isn't "ending and getting relaunched" the current definition of an "ongoing" title?