Mayo Report

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Perseus
Reviewer

Re: Mayo Report

Post by Perseus »

I'm disappointed that Big Trouble in Little China dropped appx 10,000 units on issue 2. It still was Boom!'s top book that month however. The book is so fun! If you are a fan of the movie, please support that book! You can really hear Jack Burton talking when you read it. Powell has him down!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

The returnable items are reported at reduced levels. With past DC weekly titles that was 20%. Any sales over that could get reported as reorder activity later but i suspect that any invoiced sales in a given month which are under reported aren't credited in later months. From a reporting point of view, it is an easy oversight to make and even if you notice the issue, it complicates the reporting code more than some people might think is worthwhile.
do you know if returnable comics are returnable for only a limited time or up to many months later?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

John,
What are the sales for Scooby Doo Team Up? I really enjoy the pure fun of that title. Scooby Doo and Batman, Superman, etc. Just really great stuff. If anyone wants a pure all ages book, check it out!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

In July, Scooby Doo Team Up #5 sold 8,220 copies (to North American Comics Shops
as Reported by Diamond) and came in at rank 252 out of the top 300
(it is also returnable so numbers are slightly reduced)
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Perseus wrote:I'm disappointed that Big Trouble in Little China dropped appx 10,000 units on issue 2. It still was Boom!'s top book that month however. The book is so fun! If you are a fan of the movie, please support that book! You can really hear Jack Burton talking when you read it. Powell has him down!
Sorry to tell you this but my LCS had a full stack (15+) of #1's Sunday. Loved the movie, just too many books on my pull list.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

just too many books on my pull list.
i am finding this is the case more and more, 15-20 books a week is pretty much all i can keep up with, factor in the occasional trade and OGN on top of that and a new series has to really be something to make the cut
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

I can sympathize about the overflowing pull list.....but when you have a chance to ride the Pork Chop Express you take it!!!!! 8).....I know John frowns on us for judging others for the type of books they buy so I won't do that, but I have found the easiest way for me to try indie books is switching to reading marvel via the unlimited app. This frees up spots on my pull list as well as only costs me $7.99 a month (drastically reducing the cost of marvel with their $3.99 almost line-wide and double shipping). Yes I have to wait some time to read current stuff, but I have been reading so much great old stuff that now I am 6 month behind on my current marvel reading so when new issues show up on the app, they are new to me. I now have plenty of spaces (i.e money) on my pull list to try all the great indie stuff coming out....

TL.DR.....Don't miss a chance to read Big trouble in Little China!!!!!

TJ
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

very solutions oriented here at the CBP forum :D
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

The Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited is a very viable and cost effective solution if you are okay with being a little behind and having the gaps in what is available to read. Using it as a way to free up funds for exploring the other publishers is a great idea.

Now if only there were a similar solution for freeing up more time to read comics...
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JohnMayo wrote:Now if only there were a similar solution for freeing up more time to read comics...
federally-mandated 4 day work week?
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:Now if only there were a similar solution for freeing up more time to read comics...
I'd be fine with that. Any idea when it will happen?
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

On the next Mayo Report are you discussing the iCV2 White Paper?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=56168
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:On the next Mayo Report are you discussing the iCV2 White Paper?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=56168
Sam and I recorded last night just before you posted your question so unfortunately the answer is no. Somehow I'd missed seeing that article on CBR. We might discuss it on the next Mayo Report episode.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

his digital 'estimates' seem conservative, can't find any sources...
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Perseus wrote:I'm disappointed that Big Trouble in Little China dropped appx 10,000 units on issue 2. It still was Boom!'s top book that month however. The book is so fun! If you are a fan of the movie, please support that book! You can really hear Jack Burton talking when you read it. Powell has him down!
I completely agree with this rant/cheer.

JohnMayo wrote:
drew102e wrote:
I'd be fine with that. Any idea when it will happen?
Never for those of us who own their own business... *sigh*