Mayo Report

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

comicm
Master Reviewer

Re: Mayo Report

Post by comicm »

I got Cooperhead #2 from DCBS but I don't use the spreadsheet.
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I've had them add it to my order. Hopefully I'll get it in a week or two. I need to improve my process for making sure I don't miss issues on my orders.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

Did you guys mention there was a post on the Batman 66 Bluerays issue here somewhere?
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

fudd71 wrote:I for one have my Blu-ray set and am simply loving it. The remastering job*** is stellar and the bonus features are all top notch. I have been watching these discs for an hour or two a night since I got the set. A vast improvement over the bootleg copies many of us fans were relegated to over the last 10-15 years.

*** speaking of the remastering job, while the set in near flawless WB did admit there was one scene, a short narration and many of the next week teaser shots that were left out of the set. They are offering a replacement disc article
Here is a quote from the thread labeled "the Day I Thought I would never see", head over to that thread for more
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

Thank you :)
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Welcome to the co-host club TJ, the trades mayo report was really great, i enjoyed your fresh perspective and you and John had a very interesting conversation...

I was surprised (pleasantly) at the huge disparity you mentioned between trade direct sales to comic shops and total print runs to libraries, big box booksellers, etc...makes one hopeful that the industry is alive and well and maybe (gasp) growing a little bit...

great job guys
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

Very nice to see Lady Mechanika almost do 17k. It outsold every Dark Horse, Boom, and IDW book except Orphan Black. Hopefully it can build some momentum with the book coming out a bit more regularly.

John, are you picking up Lady Mechanika again?

Drew, are you interested in seeing what Descender does in March sales?
I was at ECCC over the weekend, and it was already being priced at 10 dollars for the regular printing, not the variant.

Also Wayward tpb was sold out at the Image booth. Nice for Jim Zub, awesome guy!
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

Thanks Drew. I highlighted the Scott McCloud print run (over 100,000 with direct sales of about 2,850) as an extreme example of the direct market not being the main market for some trades. For alot of DC and Marvel trades I think the direct market is the major mover of units. But for publishers like First Second the library/bookstore market are the main way they sell their books. Another example is bookstores moving way more manga than the direct market. Even for first second the McCloud book is an extreme example where their other big sellers had print runs of 30,000.....so maybe Scott McCloud is in his own universe. Its also important to remember that trades continue to sell month after month, so those books have a chance to rack up impressive cumulative sales.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Perseus wrote:Very nice to see Lady Mechanika almost do 17k. It outsold every Dark Horse, Boom, and IDW book except Orphan Black. Hopefully it can build some momentum with the book coming out a bit more regularly.

John, are you picking up Lady Mechanika again?

Also Wayward tpb was sold out at the Image booth. Nice for Jim Zub, awesome guy!
I'm not getting Lady Mechanika but I'd only gotten the zero issue originally. As I recall, it was a good book, just not one I felt the need to read.

I went to the panel Jim Zub did at Comic-Con and talked with him afterwards. I completely agree that he is an awesome guy.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Perseus wrote: Drew, are you interested in seeing what Descender does in March sales?
I was at ECCC over the weekend, and it was already being priced at 10 dollars for the regular printing, not the variant.
Nice, i hadnt noticed that, now where did i put my issue...
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Sam/John

i love the new Q & A addition to the Mayo Comics Report, that was a fun conversation; was that a one time thing or a recurring segment?

i found myself nodding along in complete agreement every time you mentioned something and said 'we sound like a bunch of crotchety old guys' or something like that :lol: what will the industry do without us when we're gone?

great job guys
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote: i love the new Q & A addition to the Mayo Comics Report, that was a fun conversation; was that a one time thing or a recurring segment?
I'm always happy to answer questions. So that aspect returning comes down to if/when we have questions on the forum to answer.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I too loved talking about some of the questions we got. It would be great if listeners would post any questions they might have.

Thank you to Drew, Spidey Saves the Day and Perseus for the questions we got for the last show.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I'm starting to think about my next article of ComicBookResources.com and considering doing a look back at the New 52 titles from DC since that branding ends with Convergence. If anybody has thoughts or questions alone those lines (or any other lines for that matter), please post them.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JohnMayo wrote:I'm starting to think about my next article of ComicBookResources.com and considering doing a look back at the New 52 titles from DC since that branding ends with Convergence. If anybody has thoughts or questions alone those lines (or any other lines for that matter), please post them.
i am curious as to what is left from wave 1, wave 2, etc, coming out of convergence,

i think the New 52 did a great job of bring lapsed readers (yours truly) back to comics but i do not have the data to back that up, like a rising tide lifting all ships i would be curious to see if the industry is still healthier now as a whole vs. pre-52 and if that has been sustained since 2011 or maybe trending up/down?