LBCC 2012

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

HipHopHead
Reviewer

Post by HipHopHead »

BobBretall wrote:Sunday
11:00 a.m.– 11:45 a.m. Rm 103AB
THE FUTURE OF VALIANT
Come hear all of the exclusive news & announcements behind the next great happenings in the Valiant Universe! Featuring Joshua Dysart Harbinger Dinesh Shamdasani, this is the one-and-only place to discover what 2013 holds for Valiant’s greatest heroes.

1:00 p.m.– 1:45 p.m. Rm 103AB
THE ART OF THE COMIC COVER WITH TIM BRADSTREET
Tim Bradstreet talks about the ingredients needed to create successful cover art. Bradstreet also discusses some of his personal favorites. Surprise moderator! Followed by Q&A, time permitting.

I'm guessing the "surprise" moderator will be Tom Jane.
I know two panels I will be attending on Sunday.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

When to arrive for the show:

Official hours:
Saturday, November 3rd 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Advance Ticket Holders Get Exhibit Floor Access at 9:30 on Saturday!

Sunday, November 4th 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Personally, I like parking under the convention center. If memory serves, this costs about $10. It's REALLY convenient too.

I generally show up around 8:45 or 9am and have had no problem getting a very close parking. I think you can get somewhere in the underground parking up to 11am or even noon.

That said, I got the following press release yesterday:
Call to all Costume Characters and Cosplayers: On Nov. 3, 2012 at the Long Beach Convention Center, 300 E. Ocean Blvd. we will be holding a Group Photo and Procession! The group photo time is 8:45AM with an 8:30AM call time to any costumers that wish to participate! We plan to just have everyone meet at the top of the main Stairs to the convention center. If we start getting everyone organized and ready between 8:45 and 9:00AM, we will then take the photos we want and be done by 9:20AM or so, and afterwards everyone can proceed up to the Media location for the opening ceremony.

SO, figure cosplayers are going to be getting there early & using up parking. PLUS, if you want to have a chance to see all the costumed people all there for the group photo shoot, plan to get there early.

I'm going to shoot for being there so I can see all the costumed folks at 8:45.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Refresher - What to bring for a con

* Comfortable shoes

* Water bottle

* Snacks - Cons generally sell food, but it's expensive. Bringing along some snack you like to munch on can take the edge off during the day & let you save your food budget for a dinner after the show at a nearby restaurant where you will get MUCH better food for about the proce of a hot-dog or mini-pizza inside the convention center.

* Backpack - to help carry your loot.
--> If you are going to be buying art, you may want to bring a portfolio case, the kind you can buy at a store like Michael's

* Want list -> Track what comics you want to buy, creators you want to meet and/or sketches you'd like to commission, panels you want to see.

Note on getting convention sketches, especially from "hot" or popular artists. Plan to get to the con right when it opens the 1st day & proceed directly to the artist(s) you want a commission from. Get on their commission list, these frequently fill up early in the con.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

BobBretall wrote: 7pm - Dinner @ Famous Dave's
Trying to get a headcount for dinner Saturday. If people are interested, PM me with a count.

I'm going to assume 2 for Mr. & Mrs. LARabbit, and 2 for me & my son Stephen, so we're at 4 out of the gate.
I'll try to make a reservation, since this will be Saturday night.
yensid4disney
Contributor

Post by yensid4disney »

BobBretall wrote:Refresher - What to bring for a con

* Comfortable shoes

* Water bottle

* Snacks - Cons generally sell food, but it's expensive. Bringing along some snack you like to munch on can take the edge off during the day & let you save your food budget for a dinner after the show at a nearby restaurant where you will get MUCH better food for about the proce of a hot-dog or mini-pizza inside the convention center.

* Backpack - to help carry your loot.
--> If you are going to be buying art, you may want to bring a portfolio case, the kind you can buy at a store like Michael's

* Want list -> Track what comics you want to buy, creators you want to meet and/or sketches you'd like to commission, panels you want to see.

Note on getting convention sketches, especially from "hot" or popular artists. Plan to get to the con right when it opens the 1st day & proceed directly to the artist(s) you want a commission from. Get on their commission list, these frequently fill up early in the con.
I would also add the following:

Try to look through the programming guide either on the website or while waiting in line to get in, and decide where you want to be and when. As an example, Bob will be at several panels on Saturday, but is still leaving himself time to walk the convention floor. Knowing where and when you want to be helps you manage your time more effectively, and if you can do that for the smaller conventions, then it really helps when you get to either San Diego or New York.

Just my two sense.
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

So, looks like I'm driving down for this!

I'm not sure if I can make dinner yet, but I'd like to. I will update when I find out if I can make that work.
LA Rabbit
Reviewer

Post by LA Rabbit »

Good only for this weekend: November 3-4, 2012 11:59 PM PST
Free comixology code for A vs. X #0 compliments of LBCC

Redemption code:
#AVX0FREELBCC

I now have to figure out how to link my Marvel and Comixology accounts. Hilariously hijinx to ensue.

Had a great first day and fun at the dinner. Thanks to Bob for organizing.
LA Rabbit
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

LA Rabbit wrote: Redemption code:
#AVX0FREELBCC
Redeemed this...... Loved the Frank Cho art. Story was a 3/5.
Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Post by Gilgabob »

LA Rabbit wrote:Good only for this weekend: November 3-4, 2012 11:59 PM PST

Redemption code:
#AVX0FREELBCC

I now have to figure out how to link my Marvel and Comixology accounts. Hilariously hijinx to ensue.

Thanks for the code. They certainly don't make it easy to redeem. I searched around both Marvel's site and Comixology looking for a place to enter it. I finally went to Marvel.com/redeem and was able to enter the code.
HipHopHead
Reviewer

Post by HipHopHead »

LA Rabbit wrote:Good only for this weekend: November 3-4, 2012 11:59 PM PST

Redemption code:
#AVX0FREELBCC

Thanks for the code, I had a great time at dinner meeting everyone.
HipHopHead
Reviewer

Post by HipHopHead »

BobBretall wrote:
LA Rabbit wrote: Redemption code:
#AVX0FREELBCC
Redeemed this...... Loved the Frank Cho art. Story was a 3/5.
A big thank you to Bob.

I received a packet of comics from Bob AND he gave his Gold copy of Archer & Armstrong #1, which was promised to everyone in attendance at the Valiant Panel by the good people of Valiant Entertainment.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Gilgabob wrote: Thanks for the code. They certainly don't make it easy to redeem. I searched around both Marvel's site and Comixology looking for a place to enter it. I finally went to Marvel.com/redeem and was able to enter the code.
At the bottom of many Comixology pages there is a menu with a "Redeem" option, that brings you to this link:
http://www.comixology.com/redeem

The code works there.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Thanks to Andrew (LA Rabbit) for dragging me around and pointing out lots of cool Indie self-published books!
Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Post by Gilgabob »

BobBretall wrote:
Gilgabob wrote: Thanks for the code. They certainly don't make it easy to redeem. I searched around both Marvel's site and Comixology looking for a place to enter it. I finally went to Marvel.com/redeem and was able to enter the code.
At the bottom of many Comixology pages there is a menu with a "Redeem" option, that brings you to this link:
http://www.comixology.com/redeem

The code works there.
Ahh yes. The small print at the bottom. Found it. I still think it would be nice to have it at the top with the other buttons. Thanks!
LA Rabbit
Reviewer

Post by LA Rabbit »

I should have posted instructions. Sorry about that. I did not know you could redeem directly from Marvel.

Thanks to Bob (and Steven) for hanging out. It is more fun to spend time at a con with fun people than just haunt it alone (or with people that are not fun). It was especially nice on Sunday as the Mrs. stayed home.

Long Beach might be my favorite convention overall. Obviously San Diego is special but it is tough to consider that the same animal as it is so unique.
LA Rabbit