Forever Evil

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

fudd71
Master Reviewer

Forever Evil

Post by fudd71 »

On Friday DC announced that Justice League Dark #24 will be the beginning of an eighteen part cross-over entitled Forever Evil: Blight. This cross-over will run in Justice League Dark, Constantine, Pandora and Phantom Stranger.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/10/04 ... vil-blight

Since I was already getting all these titles except Phantom Stranger I will pick up those 4 extra issues and read this cross-over. I still think that this is a terrible idea on DC's part. It will be interesting to see if this negatively impacts the sales of Justice League Dark. I also think is was dishonest to hide that this was going to be a huge cross-over when these issues were originally solicited. I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Re: Forever Evil

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

I'm out on this one. Figured 'Lights Out' & 'Zero Year' are enough for me. I'm still curious about the Forever Evil mini-series.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I'm getting them all anyway so it does really impact other than following the reading order.

I do think this is the sort of thing that can push people off books if they are getting a minority of the titles involved. An 18 part crossover seems a bit excessive, particularly with Batman: Zero Year still going on and Lights Out starting up. Anyone looking for a more self contained story might not find much of that sort of thing in the New 52 for a while. On the flip side, DC is trying to leverage the power of a shared universe and usually crossovers increase slaes on the tie in issues.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Now that Villain's month is over and we starting to get more Forever Evil books any thoughts? I have enjoyed the main story, and while I haven't disliked the few cross-over books that have come out so far, I wasn't a huge fan either.

Forever Evil #2
I liked this issue quite a bit but will say don't think about it too hard or there are some questions that become huge potential plot holes.

Lex Luthor
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Much of what we saw of Lex and Bizzaro seemed to directly contradict or at least not be in line with what we were just told in Bizzaro #1
Last page
I can go with Batman surviving whatever happened to the Justice league at the hands of Crime Syndicate, but Vic Stone surviving in any way after having all machine parts removed is a little ridiculous, but while Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman could not survive to any extent it is completely insane
Power Ring
I know these are new interpretations of the Crime Syndicate, but why would they put up with a reluctant member at all? Power Ring seems to be the reluctant bearer of a ring that is poisoning or killing him, it makes no sense. Why wouldn't they just have left him behind on Earth 3 or wherever they are from.
The Captive being guarded by the Outsider
At first I was convinced this was going to be Alexander Luthor and working with Lex the two would some how save Earth 1 and the Justice League. I don't have a good reason to think this still isn't the case, but I have a feeling that the prisoner will not be Alexander Luthor. I have no idea who I think it is, but I don't think it is Alexander.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Forever Evil: Arkham War #1

I really liked the art in this issue, thought it was top notch. Unfortunately the writing made this feel like a completely wasted issue. This was all set up, and seeming could have been done in a single thought balloon not an entire issue. This $2.99 issue had $0.05 worth of story
"The Arkham inmates have divided the city into 12 areas, one for each of them. Bane is coming to take over the whole city" That single thought balloon at the beginning of the next issue could have replaced this entire issue. Yes we also found out what was under Black Gate, but that only took a page or two and could have easily be in the next issue.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Suicide Squad #24

This issue was also a little set up heavy, but I really liked the concept and this one didn't quite feel like nothing happened like Arkham War did. I loved Patrick Zircher's art as well. I'm really looking forward to see where this story goes.
To set up a Suicide Squad of three villains controlled by Amanda Waller and then introduce a team of three heros being controlled the Thinker and have them fight to gain control of O.M.A.C. is just a great idea and should be a lot of fun. The one thing I don't like about the set up was the introduction of Power Girl to the reverse Suicide Squad, it seems to throw the balance of power way off on the two teams. I just think Power Girl is too powerful for any of these characters to be able to put up much of a fight.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

fudd71 wrote: Lex Luthor
Much of what we saw of Lex and Bizzaro seemed to directly contradict or at least not be in line with what we were just told in Bizzaro #1
Agreed.
fudd71 wrote:Last page
I can go with Batman surviving whatever happened to the Justice league at the hands of Crime Syndicate, but Vic Stone surviving in any way after having all machine parts removed is a little ridiculous, but while Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman could not survive to any extent it is completely insane
Yeah, I felt the same way.
fudd71 wrote:Power Ring
I know these are new interpretations of the Crime Syndicate, but why would they put up with a reluctant member at all? Power Ring seems to be the reluctant bearer of a ring that is poisoning or killing him, it makes no sense. Why wouldn't they just have left him behind on Earth 3 or wherever they are from.
Here is why:
Because that magic ring is so damn powerful. Essentially Power Ring is a twist on the old Crime Syndicate's Johnny Quick being a junkie. In this case the Crime Syndicate is using Power Ring as a sacrificial lamb. My theory is that the power ring will immediately seek out a new host when the previous one dies and they don't want to be the victim of that.
fudd71 wrote:The Captive being guarded by the Outsider
At first I was convinced this was going to be Alexander Luthor and working with Lex the two would some how save Earth 1 and the Justice League. I don't have a good reason to think this still isn't the case, but I have a feeling that the prisoner will not be Alexander Luthor. I have no idea who I think it is, but I don't think it is Alexander.
Yeah. I see your point.
The Luthor of Earth-3 is the obvious answer so it it seems equally obvious they shouldn't go that way. The character is in some way connected to Ultraman. Perhaps the Earth-3 Zod or someone like that?
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

So we got three forever Evil tie-in issues this week. None were spectacular or really horrible in my opinion, all just kind of average. If I had to rank them it would be.

Trinity of Sin: Pandora #4 (lot of set up but good art and entertaining)

Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion #1 (story-wise this was my favorite, a lot of set up but some good characterization of the Rougues. The art on most pages was also very good. The problem, there were 3 random pages thrown in where the art was simply awful. I don't know if the original pages got lost and had to be re-drawn last minute or what, but for a book with beautiful art to have three random pages appear to hardly be stick-figure quality was extremely distracting. It wasn't even done for as a stylist choice as far as I can tell, these were pages in the middle of scenes with no story reason to be different the the preceding or following page)

Justice League of America #8 (we finally get a look at what happened to some of the Justice League, but overall there is very little characterization or plot added to the story by this issue)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

As if the story hasn't felt slow and delayed as is, now it is officially delayed almost two months and taking a number of other titles with it.

Forever Evil #7 now shipping May 21st originally solicited for March 26th

Nightwing #30 now May 28th originally solicited for April 9th

Justice League of America #14 now May 21st originally solicited for April 9th

Justice League #30 now May 21st originally solicited for April 23rd (this would also come out the same day as Justice League #31 if that doesn't get delayed!

Suicide Squad #30 now May 28th originally solicited for April 9th
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Wow. That is very disappointing. Will that delay the launch of any new titles?
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

JohnMayo wrote:Wow. That is very disappointing. Will that delay the launch of any new titles?
Wow! These are very unfortunate delays. DC needs to do something to prevent this going forward. I've grown used to Marvel's heightened distribution pace on many of their event titles, and I find that in addition to enhancing story momentum, it helps me maintain "reader momentum". I am much more likely to stay invested in Marvel events that double-ship. It also helps me stay invested in their ongoing titles, though I find it's not as important in these cases, for the most part. Maybe it's because I'm already invested in the ongoing titles I buy...largely because I like the character(s).

I imagine we're going to see more issues like these crop up as DC makes its move out west. That has to be a disruptive situation for them. I also wonder if that's one reason they're rumored to be buying Dynamite: to acquire the creators. They're going to lose some creators who don't want to relocate. Even though where you live is less important in these modern times, I think it's still important that key creators ("shared universe architects", if you will) get together in the same room every now and then for brainstorming and story creation. I am not a comic book creator myself. That's just my impression based on interviews I've read/heard.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

fudd71 wrote:Forever Evil #7 now shipping May 21st originally solicited for March 26th
There has to be more ramifications than a few books. Forever Evil is a line-wide crossover. How does this effect FE mini-series spinoffs - Rogue Rebellion, Arkham War, and ARGUS? I thought there were a few epilogue/aftermath stories in the works too. This is quite unfortunate especially since it has felt like DC was nailing all their shipping dates going back to the beginning of the New52.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

ComicTrekker wrote:I imagine we're going to see more issues like these crop up as DC makes its move out west. That has to be a disruptive situation for them. I also wonder if that's one reason they're rumored to be buying Dynamite: to acquire the creators. They're going to lose some creators who don't want to relocate. Even though where you live is less important in these modern times, I think it's still important that key creators ("shared universe architects", if you will) get together in the same room every now and then for brainstorming and story creation. I am not a comic book creator myself. That's just my impression based on interviews I've read/heard.
I think it is only the editorial and other in-house staff that will need to move. The creators are freelance and can work from anywhere. They do periodically have face-to-face meetings a few times a year. Those are the "summits" you here about every once in a while in which the plan for the next length of time is hashed out by the creators.

Your concern about DC moving out west being disruptive is a very valid one. I'm curious how they are going to handle that.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:
fudd71 wrote:Forever Evil #7 now shipping May 21st originally solicited for March 26th
There has to be more ramifications than a few books. Forever Evil is a line-wide crossover. How does this effect FE mini-series spinoffs - Rogue Rebellion, Arkham War, and ARGUS? I thought there were a few epilogue/aftermath stories in the works too. This is quite unfortunate especially since it has felt like DC was nailing all their shipping dates going back to the beginning of the New52.
I would think everything leading into Forever Evil #7 would ship on time and only the aftermath stuff would be delayed. Ironically, the Forever Evil: Aftermath: Batman vs Bane doesn't seem to be one of the items listed as delayed.

After two and half years of DC hitting virtually every single shipping date for the New 52, this is a big disappointment.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

fudd71 wrote:As if the story hasn't felt slow and delayed as is, now it is officially delayed almost two months and taking a number of other titles with it.

Forever Evil #7 now shipping May 21st originally solicited for March 26th

Nightwing #30 now May 28th originally solicited for April 9th

Justice League of America #14 now May 21st originally solicited for April 9th

Justice League #30 now May 21st originally solicited for April 23rd (this would also come out the same day as Justice League #31 if that doesn't get delayed!

Suicide Squad #30 now May 28th originally solicited for April 9th
jeez is DC gonna go dark in April
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)