Best of 2013 Year-End Episode

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Best of 2013 Year-End Episode

Post by drew »

John & I will be recording a Best of 2013 episode at the end of December. It loosely follows the Weekly Comic Spotlight Format in that it focuses on Marvel, DC, and Other publisher's "best of" categories. If you would like to vote, we would love to see what listeners to the show think about this year in comics. Here are the categories we will be discussing:

Best Of 2013

DC:
Series -
New Series -
Single Issue-
Story Arc/MiniSeries-
Writer -
Artist -
Rising Star -

Marvel:
Series -
New Series -
Single Issue-
Story Arc/MiniSeries-
Writer -
Artist -
Rising Star -

Other:
Series -
New Series -
Single Issue-
Story Arc/MiniSeries:
Writer -
Artist -
Rising Star -

Miscellaneous:
Best Digital First/Only-
Best Event-
Publisher to Watch-

Happy Voting!
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Re: Best of 2013 Year-End Episode

Post by fudd71 »

Someone has to get this started, I may edit this later but here is what I have currently:

DC
Series: Green Lantern New Guardians
New Series: Superman/Wonder Woman
Single Issue: Aquaman #22
Story Arc/Mini Series: Trinity War
Writer: Scott Lobdell
Artist: Brett Booth
Rising Star: Robert Venditti

Marvel
Mini Series: Dexter

Other
Series: Sergio Aragones Funnies (Bongo)
New Series: G.I. Joe (IDW)
Single Issue: Archer & Armstrong #10 (Valiant)
Mini Series: Screwed (Zenescope)
Writer: Duane Swierczynski (Bloodshot - Valiant)
Artist: Diego Bernard (Witchblade - Top Cow/Image)
Rising Star: Chris Peterson (Artist - Grindhouse Doors Open at Midnight - Dark Horse)

Miscellaneous
Digital First: Batman ‘66 (just so there is something other than Injustice mentioned in this category)
Best Event: Trinity War
Publisher to watch: Zenescope, the writing and variety in their books has gone way up in the last year to year and half
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

fudd71 wrote:Someone has to get this started, I may edit this later but here is what I have currently:

DC
Series: Green Lantern New Guardians
New Series: Superman/Wonder Woman
Single Issue: Aquaman #22
Story Arc/Mini Series: Trinity War
Writer: Scott Lobdell
Artist: Brett Booth
Rising Star: Robert Venditti

Marvel
Mini Series: Dexter

Other
Series: Sergio Aragones Funnies (Bongo)
New Series: G.I. Joe (IDW)
Single Issue: Archer & Armstrong #10 (Valiant)
Mini Series: Screwed (Zenescope)
Writer: Duane Swierczynski (Bloodshot - Valiant)
Artist: Diego Bernard (Witchblade - Top Cow/Image)
Rising Star: Chris Peterson (Artist - Grindhouse Doors Open at Midnight - Dark Horse)

Miscellaneous
Digital First: Batman ‘66 (just so there is something other than Injustice mentioned in this category)
Best Event: Trinity War
Publisher to watch: Zenescope, the writing and variety in their books has gone way up in the last year to year and half
Good Stuff, its going to be a fun episode...
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Best Of 2013

Can't believe it's time to review the year. Here's a rough draft of my list; I still need to reread a few more comics to refresh my mind.

DC:
Series - Batman. Arguably the best comic book, period.
New Series - Collider/FBP
Single Issue- Green Lantern #20. Fitting end to a great run by Johns.
Story Arc/MiniSeries-
Writer - Simon Oliver for Collider/FBP. Clever and interesting for the complicated topic of physics.
Artist - Jae Lee for Batman/Superman
Rising Star -

Other:
Series - Harbinger (Valiant). Can't get enough of this book.
New Series - East of West (Image)
Single Issue- Shadowman #0 (Valiant). While the overall series is lacking, issues 0 and 10 were outstanding.
Story Arc/MiniSeries:
Writer - Hickman for East of West. Tough call between Dysart and Hickman but I leaned to the latter's world building of East of West.
Artist -
Rising Star -

Miscellaneous:
Best Event- Villains' Month from DC
Publisher to Watch- Valiant. Unity put Valiant over the top. Just an incredible line up so far. Looking forward to the 4001 Valiant universe.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

we agree on a few of those and i know my brother is a huge Jai Lee fan as well, good picks
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

Here goes...

Best Of 2013

DC:
Series - Justice League
New Series - N/A (It's too early, but Superman/Wonder Woman is fantastic so far!)
Single Issue- Justice League #15 (A great opening to the Throne of Atlantis storline)
Story Arc/MiniSeries- Trinity War
Writer - Geoff Johns
Artist -N/A
Rising Star -N/A

Marvel:
Series - Superior Spider-Man
New Series - Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Single Issue- Superior Spider-Man #9
Story Arc/MiniSeries- Avengers Arena
Writer - Matt Fraction (Hawkeye)
Artist - David Aja (Hawkeye)
Rising Star - Dennis Hopeless (writer of Avengers Arena)

Other:
Series -N/A
New Series - N/A
Single Issue- N/A
Story Arc/MiniSeries: N/A
Writer -N/A
Artist - N/A
Rising Star - N/A

Miscellaneous:
Best Digital First/Only- N/A
Best Event- Forever Evil
Publisher to Watch- N/A
Last edited by DNArington on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

FYI, CBR'S TOP 100 COMICS OF 2013 was posted today.

As a staff writer for CBR, I was invited to participate. Here is the top ten list I sent CBR:

10 ) ANSWER: I'm amazed at both the quality and the quantity of work that Mike Norton produces: Revival, Answer, Battlepug, The Occultist and helping out on Young Avengers. I love his art and salute his work ethic. I really enjoyed his creator owned title: The Answer! and look forward to seeing what Mike does in 2014.

9 ) BATMAN/DETECTIVE COMICS: These titles have been using the backup features in a brilliant way to expand on the main story. I'm loving the increased page count on these titles since it isn't just spend on unrelated stories. This is how backup features should be done.

8 ) BATTLE OF THE ATOM: Normally these X-Title crossover storylines seem to fade a bit for me at some point. This one didn't. Every issue kept me engaged and entertained. I was skeptical about bringing the young X-Men from the past into the present but it has been a fun read and this story arc kicked things up a notch.

7 ) STAR TREK: I'm a Star Trek fan and miss having Star Trek on television. This title is helping me get my regular fix of Star Trek. The title is in line with the movies and reads like a television series in all the right ways.

6 ) NUMBERCRUNCHER: I'll admit that I got this because the title intrigues me. The first issue didn't entirely win me over but I stayed with it and I'm glad I did. It kept me hooked until the final panel of the final page of the miniseries. Great stuff.

5 ) THE PRIVATE EYE: Call me old school but I like my comics on paper. Digital comics are fine but I hadn't seen one that I felt was done right. Then my podcast co-host suggested we review "The Private Eye." This is digital comics done the way I think they should be done. The pages perfectly fit my tablet and feel natural in the landscape mode. None of the crazy click through each of a million word balloons or faked out animation, just plain old solid story telling. I'm glad the title was a few issue in when I read the first issue because I wanted to read more. This is available on a "pay what you think it is worth" model and the creators are clearly doing everything they can to *earn* our money. I really respect that.

4 ) ARCHER AND ARMSTRONG: This is my favorite Valiant title. The characters are fun, the story engaging and the art amazing. All of the Valiant titles are worth checking out but this is my favorite of the bunch by a wide margin.

3 ) SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN: Doc Ock and Spider-Man has played out a lot long and a lot better than I would ever have imagined. Anyone that dropped the title with the change over to the Superior Spider-Man has missed out on some great stories. Dan Slott and company have been redefining what it means to be Spider-Man.

2 ) INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US: Tom Taylor has built up an amazing alternate version of the New 52 DC Universe by slowly pushing at the boundaries of what can happen to these characters. The characters are put into situations outside the restrictions imposed by the "never ending battle" of monthly comics and what was once unthinkable seems liek a natural progression for the characters. No doubt many people skipped this title because they figured it was a meaningless tie in to the video gme. I've never played the game and I'm loving this title.

1 ) ASTRO CITY: I'm very glad to see this title back on a monthly basis. Kurt Busiek and Brent Anderson are doing amazing work on this title. The second issue really clicked with me and was, at least for me, the best comic of the year. This is a must read for anyone that wants to see what can really be done with super-hero story telling.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Great episode gentlemen, Thank you for all the hard work!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

thanks it was fun to do...
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Finished listening to Year-End, Weekly Spotlight, and Previews and they were all fantastic. After hearing John's glowing review of Astro City, I found a copy of #1 for $.99 (all #1's should be a $1), read it, and loved it. I look forward to the rest of the series.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:After hearing John's glowing review of Astro City, I found a copy of #1 for $.99 (all #1's should be a $1), read it, and loved it. I look forward to the rest of the series.
There are a bunch of back issues of Astro City from previous runs of the title. While I enjoyed some a lot more than others, all are worth reading.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive