New DC weekly series announced

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

fudd71
Master Reviewer

New DC weekly series announced

Post by fudd71 »

DC announced a new weekly this morning. The New 52: Futures End beginning with a zero issue for Free Comic Book Day.

DC blog post

AP sotry
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: New DC weekly series announced

Post by JohnMayo »

Two weekly titles in parallel? That seems a little aggressive. The promo art for this one doesn't really excite me.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

duplicate post deleted
Last edited by fudd71 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

JohnMayo wrote:The promo art for this one doesn't really excite me.
While I'm not overly impressed with the artwork, I have to say I am excited about Jurgens, Giffen and Azzarello (I haven't read Lemire's indy work and his DC stuff while solid hasn't exactly blown me away). Two (Jurgens & Giffen) of my personal all-time favorite writers and the man writing my favorite current DC series (Azzaarello on Wonder Woman), so I am optimistic. While this group of writers might not be quiet as talented as Johns, Morrison, Rucka and Waid were when they started 52 they are very close, and if the quality is anywhere close it could be really good.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

i love the idea, serious story momentum in two weekly series,
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:i love the idea, serious story momentum in two weekly series,
Don't get me wrong. I think it is a great idea from a reader perspective. I just think it is ambitious from a creative and editorial perspective. But if they can do two concurrent weekly titles, more power to them.
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

Honestly sometimes I fall behind on monthly titles. A weekly title would be intense! Seems like an interesting idea though.

Was Batman Beyond in the pre-new52 continuity?
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

DNArington wrote:Honestly sometimes I fall behind on monthly titles. A weekly title would be intense! Seems like an interesting idea though.

Was Batman Beyond in the pre-new52 continuity?
I don't think Batman Beyond has ever been in the continuity of the mainstream DC universe.
stardog
Reviewer

Post by stardog »

I've been thinking that this is DC's new publishing strategy. Most of the new series they've launched that don't involve Batman/Superman/JL have more or less been D.O.A., so to keep the shelves filled with product they're trying these weeklies instead. Launching new books like The Movement, Green Team, Vibe, Katana, Sword of Sorcery, and the various space and war comics is a losing battle.

DC does this as Marvel moves to the "season" release model.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the "season" model. At least in terms of a starting a new volume of a title on a yearly basis. I don't really mind it when a television property gets a new "season" in comic book format.
stardog
Reviewer

Post by stardog »

JohnMayo wrote:Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the "season" model. At least in terms of a starting a new volume of a title on a yearly basis. I don't really mind it when a television property gets a new "season" in comic book format.
Yep, I'm with you on the "season" model on comic book properties. Doing that or the blatant renumbering isn't enough to make me drop a book on its own, but it does factor in my decision to stop reading a book. If I'm on the fence or just liking and not loving the content the new season/#1 will push me over the edge to finally drop it. The convenient drop-off point as you've talked about on the podcast many times before. And then I figure that if I miss the character(s) there will always be another jump-on point not too far away, although at a time when I've been forced to cut my reading list substantially that isn't likely. Needless to say my Marvel pull is way down now.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

stardog wrote:Yep, I'm with you on the "season" model on comic book properties. Doing that or the blatant renumbering isn't enough to make me drop a book on its own, but it does factor in my decision to stop reading a book.
the new volume seems to raise the question of sticking with the property or dropping it with the volume change. Raising the question for readers operating on inertia just seems like a really bad idea.