The Day I thought I would never see

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

fudd71
Master Reviewer

The Day I thought I would never see

Post by fudd71 »

I could not be happier to have been so wrong about the possibility of this ever happening.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Batman ... nned/19353
drew
Master Reviewer

Re: The Day I thought I would never see

Post by drew »

hope its chock full of bluray extras...
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Hopefully the full set won't be overpriced. I'll probably pick it up when it is available.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Cost is virtually irrelevant to me, I can't image they would come up with a price I wouldn't pay. It may be more than I want to pay but I can't imagine it being so over priced I simply won't pay it.

Personally I'm not a big extras guy so I don't really care about much other then the actual episodes. I would however hope the never air Batgirl pilot was in the bonus features.

The actual episodes is where I'm worried, especially since Warner Home Video is doing it and not Fox since they own the original film. To be fair, no matter who put out the set these would be potential hazards and things that been done with other television show sets.

1) full episodes not the syndicated (shortened by 1:20 -3:00 minutes) episodes, One of the famous examples of this was the ALF DVDs had the syndication episodes.

2) Hopefully they have all the music cleared. The original Married with Children DVDs never cleared the Frank Sinatra theme song and WKRP cleared none of the music, for a show that took place in a radio station and often talked about the songs they were playing; hearing weird muzax instead of the songs they were talking about really detracted from the DVDs

3) Hopefully they cleared all the characters and likenesses from all the other ABC shows of the time who's characters appeared in the wall-climbing scenes as citizens poking there heads out. As the show's popularity sky rocketed almost all of those actors were characters cross-promoting other ABC shows

4) Hopefully both parts of the 2-part Green Hornet crossover will be in the set not just the Batman episode.

This is just a small list of the reasons I wasn't sure this was ever going to happen, so hopefully all these things have been ironed out and it is a beautiful complete set.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

how many episodes per season back then?
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

drew102e wrote:how many episodes per season back then?
A complex question Drew. The simple answer to the question is the average show of the era had 28-32 episodes per season.

Batman however is a bit unusual. First, it was a mid-season replacement debuting in January 1966 not September of 1965. secondly the two part stories aired twice a week (Wed & Thur). The first season of Batman had 17 stories or 34 individual half-hour episodes. The second season of Batman continued the two part stories beginning in September of 1966 and continuing until March of 1967. There were 30 stories or 60 half-hour episodes that second season. The third season started in September 1967 with the show now single half-hour episodes once a week. The 26th episode of season three (and final episode of the show) aired March 14th 1968. In total from January 1966 to March 1968 120 half-hour episodes and one feature film. An amazing total for a show that was only on the air for 27 months.

With all that being said Warner Home Video has only promised to release the complete series at this point. If I had to guess, they will never release the show as seasons. After the complete series is out for while they will most likely create smaller best of sets with one to two discs. Possibly several spot lighting the more used villains (best of the Joker, best of the Riddler, best of the Penguin), maybe a best of Batgirl (this would amount to a best of season 3), and possibly a best of celebrity guest-stars (the Vince Price episodes, Liberace episode, Zsa Zsa Gabor and maybe a Joker and Penguin episode). Any chance of these smaller sets ever coming out would be dependent on the success of the complete series set. I just don't think the nature of the show lends itself to being put out by seasons. If season sets were to be release season two would certainly be split into two parts. That would be four sets between 26-34 episodes.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

wow, 120!! that is a ton of episodes, for some reason i thought is was like 30 or so...that set is gonna be expensive
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

for those interested we got a little more news on this including a possible price point and and box art.

story from TV shows on DVD

Look like the set will be released November 11th. Amazon is also taking pre-orders of the DVD version for $139.79 with MSRP listed at $199.70. That $0.70 seems odd, who knows what the real MSRP will be but Amazon will honor the pre-order price is you pre order. They are not taking orders on the Blu-Rays yet.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

fudd71 wrote:They are not taking orders on the Blu-Rays yet.
So there will be a Blu-Ray version, right? Any idea on the price?

If Blu-ray is an option, that is what I want unless the price is crazy. If I can pre-order at Amazon, it makes sense to do so since if the price ever drops, you get the lower price.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

JohnMayo wrote:
fudd71 wrote:They are not taking orders on the Blu-Rays yet.
So there will be a Blu-Ray version, right? Any idea on the price?

If Blu-ray is an option, that is what I want unless the price is crazy. If I can pre-order at Amazon, it makes sense to do so since if the price ever drops, you get the lower price.
Amazon is now taking pre-orders on the Blu-ray as well with a listed MSRP of $269.97 for $188.98
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

fudd71 wrote:Amazon is now taking pre-orders on the Blu-ray as well with a listed MSRP of $269.97 for $188.98
Thanks! I've pre-ordered the BluRay set.
jacovny
Contributor

Post by jacovny »

I had a feeling this might happen, as the handful of episodes available on YouTube disappeared all at once last year. (I used to play these in class on rainy days at recess time.) I'm hopeful that we'll be offered audio commentary by the cast members. On the recent DVD release of the 1966 "Batman" movie, the running commentary by Adam West and Burt Ward, replete with ridiculously funny anecdotes, foggy reminiscing, and frequent double-entendres, never stopped being entertaining. One of West's comments as the movie ended summed it up: "It was just so damn fun" (referring to the filming of the tv series). It was nice to hear that they had as much fun making it as I did watching it.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I for one have my Blu-ray set and am simply loving it. The remastering job*** is stellar and the bonus features are all top notch. I have been watching these discs for an hour or two a night since I got the set. A vast improvement over the bootleg copies many of us fans were relegated to over the last 10-15 years.

*** speaking of the remastering job, while the set in near flawless WB did admit there was one scene, a short narration and many of the next week teaser shots that were left out of the set. They are offering a replacement disc article
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I sent in a request for the replacement disc but haven't heard anything back yet.

Has anybody heard anything aboutback on the replacement disc?
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I send them a request the day of press release and have yet to here back as well.