Previews Spotlight #077 (Mar -> May): Mar 8, 5pm PT/7pm CT

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #077 (Mar -> May): Mar 8, 5pm PT/7pm CT

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, February 26th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, March 8th.

The monthly Comic Book Page Previews Teleconference will be on Saturday, March 8th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

As always, you can join the call at any time and leave whenever you need to. I'll be on Skype shortly before the 7pm Central. Just chat me on Skype and I'll add you to the conference call. My Skype handle is theJohnMayo.

The earlier you send in submissions, the happier I'll be. It is a bit awkward to not get any of the submissions until the last minute. If you think of more you'd like to talk about after you've sent in submissions, feel free to send more in clips.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

A couple of quick things that help out a lot in the organizing and producing of the episode:

Please featured item in a separate audio file. Exceptions can be made but the episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

If possible, please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p###-: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
M###-: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.
Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools we use to prep the clips for the episode handle spaces in filenames gracefully.

At the very least, please include the full name of the item in the filename so it can be properly listed in the show notes. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #077 (Mar -> May): Mar 8, 5pm PT/7pm

Post by drew »

any specific file naming conventions if clips are based on online solicitations?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:any specific file naming conventions if clips are based on online solicitations?
Excellent question. Try to follow the normal naming conventions as much as possible. Obviously the page numbers won't be know so use three zeroes for that and I'll fill it in.

If it is something not in Previews (like The Private Eye), use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.

So, essentially, it use this:
p000-[M000-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p000-: placeholder for the page number in Previews
M###-: placeholder for the page number in Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is. The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the Comic Book Page picks of the month:

DARK HORSE

Pariah #4 (of 8)
Aron Warner (W), Philip Gelatt (W), and Brett Weldele (A/Cover)
On sale May 28
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Miniseries
Nukes are sent out to destroy the Vitro satellite. Will our heroes make it back to Earth in time?
• Created by Academy Award winner Aron Warner (Shrek).
• Art by Eisner-nominated painter Brett Weldele (The Surrogates).
• Written by Philip Gelatt (Petrograd).
"I was hooked by the fifth page."–Fanboy Comics

DC

JUSTICE LEAGUE #31
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by IVAN REIS and DANNY MIKI
1:25 BATMAN ‘66 variant cover by MICHAEL ALLRED
On sale MAY 21 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Combo pack edition: $4.99 US
Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for details.
Introducing the new Power Ring! But who is she? What does she want? And how will her presence affect the team?
This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

IDW

Star Trek: New Visions #1: The Mirror, Cracked—SPOTLIGHT
John Byrne (writer, artist & photo-manipulation)
Following up on last years hugely successful "Strange New Worlds" photonovel, John Byrne once again sets sail aboard the Starship: Enterprise, this time with an ongoing, bi-monthly series that begins by going through the looking glass to tell the story of what happened after the classic "Mirror, Mirror" episode of the original series. The crew discovers two strangers in their midst, and quickly learns that one has made a pact with one of James Kirk's oldest foes. "The Mirror, Cracked" is the title, and the action unfolds in May!
FC • 48 pages • $7.99 • ISBN: 978-1-63140-002-5
• All-new "photonovel" story set in the Mirror Universe!

THE WALKING DEAD #127
story: ROBERT KIRKMAN
art: CHARLIE ADLARD, STEFANO GAUDIANO, & CLIFF RATHBURN
cover: CHARLIE ADLARD & DAVE STEWART
MAY 14 / 56 PAGES / BW / M / $2.99
DOUBLE-SIZED ISSUE FOR ONLY $2.99! In the aftermath of "ALL OUT WAR" we discover...A NEW BEGINNING.

MARVEL

NEW AVENGERS #18
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • VALERIO SCHITI (A)
Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
• In all of creation, only one Earth has successfully met and triumphed over each Incursion that has threatened it: the Earth of the heroes of the Great Society!
• Guess which Earth is on a collision course with ours?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

OTHER PUBLISHERS

BIG DOG INK

CRITTER #20
(W) Tom Hutchison (A) Fico Ossio (CA) Fico Ossio, Jenevieve Broomall
The landmark 20th-issue of Critter takes the almost famous catgirl in an all new direction! Pain, confusion and loss have been the staples of Critter's super hero career so far, and there's only so much one can take before it's time for a change. This issue is a perfect jumping on point for new readers! (STK627940)
RES. from Previews Vol. XXIII #11 (NOV130851)
28pgs, FC $1.00

-----------------------------------------------------------------

RED 5 COMICS

ATOMIC ROBO AND THE KNIGHTS OF THE GOLDEN CIRCLE #1
(W) Brian Clevinger (A/CA) Scott Wegener
There was an explosion, some crystals, a lot of lava, and several nuclear warheads. Plus, a crazy time-traveling dinosaur. Now it's 1884 and Atomic Robo is up against the notorious "Butcher Boys." The fate of the West is at stake, but can Atomic Robo save the day before his nuclear fuel runs dry? (STK637984)
32pgs, FC (1 of 5) $3.50

ROBOT PAPER

HENCHMEN ONE-SHOT
(W) Jamison Raymond (A) Ryan Howe (CA) Dave Dorman
A comic book about the other guys. Gary is struggling to get by. Too old to learn a new trade, too young to retire. Then he finds a mysterious classified ad. When Gary applies in person, he finds a subversive world of henchmen for hire. Readers will see the familiar superhero landscape from the unique perspective of those who rarely get a voice but are always present — the Henchmen. While the superhero is battling the super-villain, the henchmen are the ones loading the loot into the van. They all have stories, they all have fears. Gary is a good man driven to do terrible things. (STK637990)
48pgs, FC $4.99

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #20
(W) Fred Van Lente (A) Pere Pérez (CA) Shawn Crystal
ALL-NEW ARC! START READING HERE! “AMERICAN WASTELAND” begins here! His whole life, Obadiah Archer has been lied to about his true heritage — but when he and his pal Armstrong arrive in L.A. to meet his real parents, they find them in the clutches of the CHURCH OF RETROLOGY! What insidious plans does THE LIZARD KING, the head of the favored religion of the Left Coast’s rich and famous, have for the Valiant Universe’s premiere conspiracy busters? And what lurks in the Hollywood Hotel? (Hint: You can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave!)
32pgs, FC $3.99

--------------------------------

If anyone really wants to do a clip on one of these, I'm fine with that. Just let me know.
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

I got:

CYCLOPS #1

JEPH LOEB & TIM SALE: YELLOW, BLUE AND GRAY HC

THE NEW 52 – FUTURES END #1

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #1

AQUAMAN #31

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US VOL. 1 TP

RoboCop vs. the Terminator HC
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

FYI, the DCBS order form is available: http://www.dcbservice.com/downloads.aspx
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

Hi everybody. Looking forward to another Previews Spotlight episode.

After listening to some of the recent discussion regarding duplication of choices on the podcast, I am going to try something in order to help preserve the flow. I'd like to talk about a couple things that others have already chosen above, so what I will do in each of these cases is to record a clip that does not repeat the solicit, assuming the first person who chose the clip will be offering some kind of summary of the solicit, and I will try to keep mine quite brief.

Maybe for John's purposes, as he is arranging clips, I could put the words "second mention" in the file name or something so he knows it's been tailored to follow another clip. What do you think of this, John?

My picks are:

Star Trek: New Visions #1: The Mirror, Cracked (2nd mention)
Star Trek: Khan (collected edition)
The New 52: Future's End #1-4 (2nd mention)
Aquaman and the Others #2
Secret Origins #2
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Put a -B after the page number in the name if you know the clip is going to be the second clip on an item. That way I'll know there is another that should go before it.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Punisher #5
All Star Western #31
Chew-Revival #1
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

p071-The Sakai Project Artists Celebrating Thirty Years of Usagi Yojimbo HC
p151-Doom Patrol Omnibus HC
p155-Dead Boy Detectives Volume 1 TP
p181-Amelia Cole and The Hidden War TP
p229-Black Science Volume 1 How To Fall Forever TP
p231-Manifest Destiny Volume 1 TP
p231-Umbral Volume 1 Out of the Shadows TP
M084-Fury Max My War Gone By HC
p304-Rust Volume 3 Death of the Rocket Boy HC
p344-Witzend HC
p347-Andre the Giant The Life and Legend TP
p363-Wonton Soup TP
p368-Letter 44 Volume 1 TP

I had to make up for Drew only posting 3.... :lol:
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

TJ602 wrote: I had to make up for Drew only posting 3.... :lol:
just warming up... [WebWiz1]
Kyle
Passerby

Post by Kyle »

Magneto 3 & 4
C.O.W.L. #1
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Grindhouse Doors Open at Midnight TPB
Green Lantern #31
Andre the Giant GN
Alien Legion Uncivil War #1
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Great episode! Will join for the next Previews in April.