Previews Spotlight #077 (Mar -> May): Mar 8, 5pm PT/7pm CT

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #077 (Mar -> May): Mar 8, 5pm PT/7pm

Post by drew »

ComicTrekker wrote:Hi everybody. Looking forward to another Previews Spotlight episode.
are you by any chance an audiobook reader because your voice sounds super familiar

also - what hardware / software do you record with? the sound is top notch
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

drew102e wrote:
ComicTrekker wrote:Hi everybody. Looking forward to another Previews Spotlight episode.
are you by any chance an audiobook reader because your voice sounds super familiar

also - what hardware / software do you record with? the sound is top notch
Thanks a lot, Drew! I was just getting over a major cold last week, so it took awhile just to squeek out a few clips. Actually, I am a voiceover artist of audiobooks, but I'm just getting started in that arena. I've been voicing commercials and industrial videos for several years, and if you ever lived in the upper Midwest, I was a weeknight TV news anchor/reporter at the NBC and CBS affiliates in northern Minnesota/eastern North Dakota for about 25 years. I launched a new career a couple years back in corporate media production. I've really enjoyed it, and it's been a nice change of pace as I'm married with three young kids who are really getting into after school and evening activities now. I wouldn't have been able to enjoy that as much in the broadcasting world.

I'm glad you've liked the sound of my clips. As a voiceover artist, I sometimes need to record audio demos when I'm away from my home studio...so I searched for something that sounded (reasonably) like I was in some kind of studio, even when I wasn't. After a couple tries with portable audio recorders, I finally settled on the Apogee Mic...which, of all things, connects to my iPhone or iPad. I use an app called Bossjock to record my clips for this podcast. I like Bossjock for more casual use because it has some automatic settings which simulate the sound of FM radio...and you can also program various carts if you want to. Another app I use for demos is Twisted Wave, which allows me more fine control over the audio quality, and editing. Both apps allow the user to upload clips anywhere...so you don't even need a computer to use them.

Finally, when away from home, I record in my car! Auto makers have spent decades refining sound quality for drivers and passengers and it actually works pretty well when I can't be in my home studio. The only potential issues are wind or traffic noise. Fortunately, I have found a couple quiet parking lots where I can record. I would prefer recording in my home studio for podcasts, but I usually record with my Mic for that because most of my time in the studio gets taken up with work.

So there you have it. The iPhone is actually a good audio recorder when you plug-in a decent mic like the Apogee Mic. Mic has a big proximity effect, though, which means you have to be about six inches away from it to sound good...and you have to move the mic to the side of your mouth or you'll get a lot of "plosives".

Anyway...that was probably more than you wanted to know. I'm a tech geek and get carried away sometimes. :)
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

ComicTrekker wrote: Thanks a lot, Drew! Actually, I am a voiceover artist of audiobooks, but I'm just getting started in that arena. I've been voicing commercials and industrial videos for several years, and if you ever lived in the upper Midwest, I was a weeknight TV news anchor/reporter at the NBC and CBS affiliates in northern Minnesota/eastern North Dakota for about 25 years
you sounded familiar, just not sure which thing i've heard you in, its one of those
I finally settled on the Apogee Mic...which, of all things, connects to my iPhone or iPad. I use an app called Bossjock to record my clips for this podcast.

adding to my amazon wish list now :lol:
Anyway...that was probably more than you wanted to know. I'm a tech geek and get carried away sometimes. :)
nope just right thanks
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

ComicTrekker wrote:Anyway...that was probably more than you wanted to know. I'm a tech geek and get carried away sometimes. :)
Personally, I found the answer very interesting and informative. I've heard great things about the BossJock app. I'd consider getting it but I've got an Android phone, not an iPhone.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

JohnMayo wrote:
ComicTrekker wrote:Anyway...that was probably more than you wanted to know. I'm a tech geek and get carried away sometimes. :)
Personally, I found the answer very interesting and informative. I've heard great things about the BossJock app. I'd consider getting it but I've got an Android phone, not an iPhone.
I really like it. A solo podcaster could record a show with music, sound effects or other audio via carts and not have to edit..unless you want to. You can send your audio to another app like Twisted Wave for editing. Unfortunately it does not have Skype integration...but other apps do if one wanted to record a podcast that way. You'd just have to edit later.

I also did a podcast called Sci Fi Pipeline a few years back with a friend, but we podfaded. It was around the time my third daughter was born and I was exhausted and just didn't have the time back then. I'd like to get back into podcasting someday...but at least I can take part in yours once a month. It is so awesome you open this to listeners, John. That is a very unique thing!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

ComicTrekker wrote:I'd like to get back into podcasting someday...but at least I can take part in yours once a month. It is so awesome you open this to listeners, John. That is a very unique thing!
Watch out - it's a slippery slope to podcasting :twisted:

John is kind of like a Nerd Drug Dealer...the first taste is free, then he's gotcha [WebWiz4]
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

drew102e wrote:
ComicTrekker wrote:I'd like to get back into podcasting someday...but at least I can take part in yours once a month. It is so awesome you open this to listeners, John. That is a very unique thing!
Watch out - it's a slippery slope to podcasting :twisted:

John is kind of like a Nerd Drug Dealer...the first taste is free, then he's gotcha [WebWiz4]
LOL Well, he has an awesome product!
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

ComicTrekker wrote:It is so awesome you open this to listeners, John. That is a very unique thing!
One of my goals for the podcast has been to keep it about the comics and not about me. Opening the Previews Spotlight up for listener contributions expands sthe selection of comics discussions far beyond my personal reading list which I think is great. As an added bonus, it helps me find out about new things and expand my reading list. It is a win-win which is another one of my goals for the podcast, to have things be as mutually beneficial for all involved as possible.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
simonuk
Visitor

Post by simonuk »

Just a quick thank you to Sam and TJ who highlighted Andre the Giant:Life and Legend by Box Brown. I only heard about this book because of this show and as a fan of both classic wrestling and research based true life stories (whether it be biographies like this, or the true crime work of rick geary) this book was a perfect match for me, and unsurprisingly I greatly enjoyed it when it arrived this week. Thanks again guys