What are your standout Marvel Now Titles?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

What are your standout Marvel Now Titles?

Post by drew »

or all new marvel now, whatever the new #1s are called, It is getting tough to keep them all straight.

I really enjoyed Charles Soule's She-Hulk, Nathan Edmondson's The Punisher, and Warren Ellis' Moon Knight...

I disliked a few of the others (Wolverine). Some I haven't tried yet, Am I missing some gems?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
the1captain
Reviewer

Re: What are your standout Marvel Now Titles?

Post by the1captain »

Loved the recent Daredevil #1. Beautiful art. I'm not loving All New Invaders yet. But I'll give it til the end of the first story. Looking forward to trying All new Ghost Rider. Although I'm not sure why. Really enjoyed Moon Knight #1. Liked new Punisher. Different take on the character. Which is good because I loved Jason Aaron's Punisher Max story so much I felt that was the "last" Punisher story for me. Ended so nicely. She-Hulk was another winner.

While not a new #1, really enjoying Superior foes of Spider-man. Issue #10 was a fill in by a different creative team. But was still really good. It's almost special when you get an actual done in one story these days.

For 25 years I considered myself more a DC guy than a Marvel guy. Yet looking at my current pull list I am only getting 4 DC monthly(if you don't count the digital first books I get). Whereas I am getting at least 4 times that at Marvel. Although overall I've never cared about such distinctions. For me as long as I get a good comic to read I don't really care who puts it out.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

the1captain wrote:For 25 years I considered myself more a DC guy than a Marvel guy. Yet looking at my current pull list I am only getting 4 DC monthly(if you don't count the digital first books I get). Whereas I am getting at least 4 times that at Marvel. Although overall I've never cared about such distinctions. For me as long as I get a good comic to read I don't really care who puts it out.
What do you think Marvel is doing right that DC isn't that has you getting more comics from Marvel than DC?
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

JohnMayo wrote:
the1captain wrote:For 25 years I considered myself more a DC guy than a Marvel guy. Yet looking at my current pull list I am only getting 4 DC monthly(if you don't count the digital first books I get). Whereas I am getting at least 4 times that at Marvel. Although overall I've never cared about such distinctions. For me as long as I get a good comic to read I don't really care who puts it out.
What do you think Marvel is doing right that DC isn't that has you getting more comics from Marvel than DC?
For me there seems to not be one house style at Marvel right now. You have indie feeling books like Hawkeye along with traditional super hero books such as, for example Nova. I know this is over generalizing but overall I feel there is a house style in the new 52. For the most part the books are standard super hero fair without much style in the storytelling that makes a book stand out from the rest.
That doesn't necessarily mean there are no gems. I am liking some of them. But no real stand outs.

I've never been a huge continuity cop. I just want good comics. Don't always care how the overall universe "connects". But I've been catching up on some DC from the early 2000s and I definitely notice a different tone. That may be one of the reasons the new 52 is not clicking with me. Also as I've said earlier. I get several of the digital firsts books. Perhaps because even if the books are not technically connected to each other. Many of them still feel "old school" and that appeals to me.
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

the1captain wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:
For me there seems to not be one house style at Marvel right now. You have indie feeling books like Hawkeye along with traditional super hero books such as, for example Nova. I know this is over generalizing but overall I feel there is a house style in the new 52. For the most part the books are standard super hero fair without much style in the storytelling that makes a book stand out from the rest.
That doesn't necessarily mean there are no gems. I am liking some of them. But no real stand outs.

I've never been a huge continuity cop. I just want good comics. Don't always care how the overall universe "connects". But I've been catching up on some DC from the early 2000s and I definitely notice a different tone. That may be one of the reasons the new 52 is not clicking with me. Also as I've said earlier. I get several of the digital firsts books. Perhaps because even if the books are not technically connected to each other. Many of them still feel "old school" and that appeals to me.
I am right there with you! I have traditionally been a "DC fan", but the New 52 is losing me. I am down to 4-5 titles I will "regularly" follow. I say "regularly" because I am no longer buying them as they come out. As a digital buyer, I have started waiting until story arcs are complete until I buy and read them. This just makes for a more satisfying reading experience for me...but it also means that the ongoing story needs to be so compelling that I will actually go back and look for the issues later.

To me, I think it boils down to the average "emotional maturity" of most of the DC writers and editors. I came back to comics in the mid-2000s. DC was embracing its legacy back then and bringing back several characters that I used to care about. I loved that approach. Events like "Kingdom Come" and "New Frontier" were bold stories that raised sophisticated issues while providing a fun read.

The New 52 seems to be all about the limb count. "Look at how many characters had a limb torn off of them this week!" This seems to be an editorial mandate. DC is going back to the excessive "grim and gritty" of 90's comics, theoretically to try and regain lapsed readers from that era. I am relieved to see titles like "Action Comics" try to buck this trend by actually portraying a hero who does heroic things, but that isn't the main "through line" of DC these days.

I have long since accepted that the bright and shiny DC I once loved is long gone. We had lots of fun together. Later, DC rose the bar and turned out some excellent, sophisticated stories. That worked for me, especially as an adult. But for the most part, I'm not having fun with the New 52...and with the exception of Scott Snyder's "Batman", it isn't challenging my mind, either.

Anyway...sorry to hijack your thread, Drew! To answer your question about Marvel titles: I've really enjoyed Black Widow and Punisher...and Superior Spider-man (as we've discussed.)
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

Since you're a digital reader like me try some of the DC digital first books. I found some of them still have that pre 52 "feel".

And I am too sorry I hijacked the thread Drew. Lol.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

ComicTrekker wrote:To me, I think it boils down to the average "emotional maturity" of most of the DC writers and editors.
Interesting assessment of the issue. I hadn't considered that possibility. I'd been chalking it up to an attempt to "wow" reader and the editors and creators trying to give what they thought the readers wanted. Either way, the focus does seem at times to be more on the damages caused within the story than the plot of the story.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

threads were made to be hijacked...good conversation

I would love it if DC would focus its creators on self contained one and done storys for a sustained timeframe... they would have a unique position in the marketplace...try it for 6 months DC and see what happens
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
spid
Special Reviewer

Post by spid »

Of the second wave I really think the first issue of Ms. Marvel was great. I was really surprised the creators of The Activity were doing The Punisher. I was not planning on getting the book, but I got the first couple of issues because of the DCBS deal.
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

JohnMayo wrote:
ComicTrekker wrote:To me, I think it boils down to the average "emotional maturity" of most of the DC writers and editors.
Either way, the focus does seem at times to be more on the damages caused within the story than the plot of the story.
Good point. This does seem to be happening in a lot of New 52 titles. And to the1captain's point, the digital first titles are a different animal, altogether. I've noticed a more consistent writing quality there. I just finished the Legends of the Dark Knight titles that comprised the most recent 100 page Spectacular you mentioned on the podcast, John, and really enjoyed them. Some scenes were violent, but not overly so, in my opinion, and only when it progressed the story and offered some kind of insight into one of the characters. The violence did't seem gratuitous. And there was a lot of emotional depth to those stories, too.

So thanks for the reminder of the digital first titles, the1captain. Adventures of Superman is also just excellent! I can't wait to read the arc that just finished with all the various Superman versions from the history of the character! The cover on this one is ridiculously good!
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

ComicTrekker wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:
Either way, the focus does seem at times to be more on the damages caused within the story than the plot of the story.
Good point. This does seem to be happening in a lot of New 52 titles. And to the1captain's point, the digital first titles are a different animal, altogether. I've noticed a more consistent writing quality there. I just finished the Legends of the Dark Knight titles that comprised the most recent 100 page Spectacular you mentioned on the podcast, John, and really enjoyed them. Some scenes were violent, but not overly so, in my opinion, and only when it progressed the story and offered some kind of insight into one of the characters. The violence did't seem gratuitous. And there was a lot of emotional depth to those stories, too.

So thanks for the reminder of the digital first titles, the1captain. Adventures of Superman is also just excellent! I can't wait to read the arc that just finished with all the various Superman versions from the history of the character! The cover on this one is ridiculously good!
Glad I could help. I'm really enjoying Injustice Gods Among Us Year Two. Both Justice League and Batman Beyond 2.0 ease my missing the old Timmverse. And although I watched Smallville I wouldn't say I was a huge fan. But I'm really liking the season 11 series.
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

I'm really liking The Punisher series and All-New Ghost Rider surprised me. I'm not generally a big fan of Ghost Rider, but I really enjoyed #1 (despite a couple odd moments.) The new Fantastic Four series is really solid as well. I haven't liked many FF comic I've read (not because they've been bad, just not to my tastes), but this new series has been fun.
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184