Previews Spotlight #078 (Apr -> Jun): Apr 5, 5pm PT/7pm CT

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #078 (Apr -> Jun): Apr 5, 5pm PT/7pm CT

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, March 26th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, April 5th.

The monthly Comic Book Page Previews Teleconference will be on Saturday, April 5th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

As always, you can join the call at any time and leave whenever you need to. I'll be on Skype shortly before the 7pm Central. Just chat me on Skype and I'll add you to the conference call. My Skype handle is theJohnMayo.

The earlier you send in submissions, the happier I'll be. It is a bit awkward to not get any of the submissions until the last minute. If you think of more you'd like to talk about after you've sent in submissions, feel free to send more in clips.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

A couple of quick things that help out a lot in the organizing and producing of the episode:

Please featured item in a separate audio file. Exceptions can be made but the episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

If possible, please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p###-: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
M###-: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.
Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools we use to prep the clips for the episode handle spaces in filenames gracefully.

If it is something not in Previews (like The Private Eye), use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.

So, essentially, it use this:
p000-[M000-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p000-: placeholder for the page number in Previews
M###-: placeholder for the page number in Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is. The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

At the very least, please include the full name of the item in the filename so it can be properly listed in the show notes. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.

Dark Horse: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=51486
DC: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=51526
IDW: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=51560
Image: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=51555
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Previews Spotlight #078 (Apr -> Jun): Apr 5, 5pm PT/7pm

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the Comic Book Page picks of the month:

DC COMICS

SUPERMAN #32
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and wraparound cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR. and KLAUS JANSON
DC Collectibles Bombshells variant cover by ANT LUCIA
1:50 B&W Variant cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR. and KLAUS JANSON
1:100 Variant cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR. and KLAUS JANSON
Blank variant cover
On sale JUNE 25 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Combo pack edition: $4.99 US
Retailers: This issue will ship with six covers. Please see the order form for more information.
“THE MAN OF TOMORROW” chapter 1! A NEW ERA for SUPERMAN begins as Geoff Johns takes the reigns – and he’s joined by the legendary super-talent of John Romita, Jr. in his first-ever work for DC Comics as they introduce Ulysses, the Man of Tomorrow, into the Man of Steel’s life. This strange visitor shares many of Kal-El’s experiences, including having been rocketed from a world with no future. Prepare yourself for a run full of new heroes, new villains and new mysteries! Plus, Perry White offers Clark a chance to return to The Daily Planet!
This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

IDW PUBLISHING

STAR TREK: HARLAN ELLISON’S CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER #1 (OF 5)
Harlan Ellison, Scott Tipton & David Tipton (w) • J.K. Woodward (a) • Juan Ortiz (c)
For the first time ever, a visual presentation of the much-discussed, unrevised, unadulterated version of Harlan Ellison’s award-winning Star Trek teleplay script, “The City on the Edge of Forever!” This Hugo- and Writer’s Guild of America Award-winning teleplay has been much discussed for decades but only here can you see the story as Mr. Ellison originally intended!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

IMAGE COMICS

A VOICE IN THE DARK, VOL. 1 TP
STORY / ART / COVER: LARIME TAYLOR
JUNE 11
208 PAGES / FC / M $19.99
Some people become killers. Zoey Aarons was born that way. The thing is, she doesn’t want to be a killer. Can she keep her impulses in check while starting a new life at college, far away from home? Collects A VOICE IN THE DARK #1-7.

BIG DOG INK

SHAHRAZAD #8
(W) Kari Castor, Kim Hutchison (A) Jesse Wichmann (CA) Jesse Wichmann, Nei Ruffino
The story shifts. Shahrazad's mind moves through time and space with memories that connect to memories. It is now the 1800's and we learn the story of the Thunderbird! (STK641059)
28pgs, FC $3.50

ONI PRESS

LETTER 44 #7
(W) Charles Soule (A/CA) Alberto Jiménez Alburquerque, Dan Jackson
Special one-shot issue illustrated by Helheim's Joelle Jones! Before sheled the crew of the Clarke, Charlotte Hayden was a celebrated anthropologist and physicist. What made her decide to leave life on earth behind — possibly forever? Plus, the first appearance of the mission's most mysterious astronaut — Rowan — scheming jerk that he is.
FC, 32pgs $3.99

TITAN COMICS

DOCTOR WHO: THE TENTH DOCTOR #1
(W) Nick Abadzis (A) Elena Casagrande (CA) Alice X Zhang
The tenth Doctor is back, in an all-new ongoing series! New companion, new foes, unforgettable new horizons! Allons-y! The Eisner Award-winning Nick Abadzis and fan favorite Elena Casagrande take control of the TARDIS for the first five-issue arc with the tenth Doctor, portrayed by David Tennant! Gabriella Gonzalez is stuck in a dead-end job in her family's New York laundrette, dreaming of college and bigger, better, and brighter things. So when a strange man with an even stranger big blue box barges into her life on the eve of the Day of the Dead celebrations, talking about an infestation of psychic aliens, she seizes her chance for adventure with both hands. After Donna's tragic exit, the Doctor thought he was done with companions. But Gabby Gonzalez is going to prove him wrong — if she survives the night! (STK641060) NOTE: Not available in the U.K. (May Purchase from U.K. Vendor)
ALICE X. ZHANG REGULAR COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99
ELENA CASAGRANDE SUBSCRIPTION COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99

DOCTOR WHO: THE ELEVENTH DOCTOR #1
(W) Al Ewing, Rob Williams (A) Simon Fraser (CA) Alice X Zhang
The eleventh Doctor returns in an all-new ongoing series, with a time-twisting leap into the unknown! Geronimo! Alice Obiefune has just lost her mother when the Doctor explodes into her life. But what does a grieving young woman have to do with the career of a 70s musician, an amnesiac alien time traveler, and a terrifying cosmic threat? In the wake of the second Big Bang, discover what the Doctor gets up to when Amy and Rory aren't around! Plus, every issue includes a "Titans" strip and a brand-new humor strip. (STK641091) NOTE: Not available in the U.K. (May Purchase from U.K. Vendor)
ALICE X. ZHANG REGULAR COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99
SIMON FRASER SUBSCRIPTION COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99

VALIANT COMICS

X-O MANOWAR #26 (AH)
(W) Robert Venditti (A) Diego Bernard (CA) Clayton Crain
ARMOR HUNTERS unleashes an all-new starting point for the world's most wanted hero – X-O Manowar – right here with a brand new story arc by Robert Venditti (Green Lantern, The Flash) and Diego Bernard (Eternal Warrior)!
Abducted from his own time by a vicious alien race, the courageous Visigoth warrior known as Aric of Dacia spent years in slavery among the stars before escaping with his captors' most feared weapon – the X-O Manowar armor. Now, stranded in the modern day, the world's most primitive man also just happens to wield its most powerful weapon. But what is the X-O Manowar armor? And who before Aric of Dacia dared to wield its incalculable power? The ARMOR HUNTERS hold the key to the armor's untold history and – one way or another – they’ll crush anything that dares threaten their secret.
REGULAR—FC, 32pgs $3.99
CHROMIUM—FC, 32pgs $5.99
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

The Wake #10 from Vertigo
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

I will preview:
Secret Origins #3
Adventures of Superman #14
Batman: A Celebration of 75 Years HC and The Joker: A Celebration of 75 Years HC
The X-Files: Season 10 #13
Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #2
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Daredevil #4
OverStreet Price Guide
Wilfire #1

Eye of Newt #1
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

p045-The Guns of the Shadow Valley HC
p056-Dream Thief Escape #1
p070-The Complete Elfquest Volume 1 TP
p185-Love and Capes the Complete Collection TP
p213-Dead Body Road TP
p285-Big Trouble In Little China #1
p289-Six-Gun Gorilla TP
p349-I Was the Cat HC
p368-Pinocchio-Vampire Slayer Complete Edition TP

Please ohhhh please consider Big trouble in Little China #! for a weekly comic spotlight....Jack Burton and the pork chop express will owe you a favor!!
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

TJ602 wrote:Please ohhhh please consider Big trouble in Little China #! for a weekly comic spotlight....Jack Burton and the pork chop express will owe you a favor!!
I was debating if I wanted to get that or not. I could probably be talked into getting it in order to discuss it on the Weekly Comics Spotlight. Drew, what do you think?
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

sure thing, i'm in,

never saw the movie, though

should i see it prior to reading comic?
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Comics for Fun and Profit clips:

Batman 66
Hawkeye
OutCast
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

I missed it this month. :( I just didn't have a lot of available recording time.
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

Drew,

It might be interesting if you don't see it, so as to compare your view of the comic to John's (I assume John has seen it). Then again, the movie is awesome and I think it is on netflix. So no excuses....watch that great 80's cheesiness :)

TJ
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

DNArington wrote:I missed it this month. :( I just didn't have a lot of available recording time.
yeah some months it is a very tight window i had to email john for a couple hour extension this morning
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

TJ602 wrote:Drew,

It might be interesting if you don't see it, so as to compare your view of the comic to John's (I assume John has seen it). Then again, the movie is awesome and I think it is on netflix. So no excuses....watch that great 80's cheesiness :)

TJ
I have seen Big Trouble in Little China but this gives me an excuse to watch it again.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

lot of great clips this month, thanks to all for the quick turnaround and taking the time to send them in this week, some really good comics i had missed