Advice Requested: Reading Order Impact of DC shipping delay

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

CoolBreeze
Visitor

Advice Requested: Reading Order Impact of DC shipping delay

Post by CoolBreeze »

Hey gang, I'm an oddball when I say that I'm enjoying the storylines that DC has been publishing. I'm REALLY doing my best to preserve the outcome of Forever Evil conclusion, along with the First Contact and Doomed storylines. I'm on news blackout (except to check the Shipping updates from Diamond).

If I follow the solicits' publishing order, there are some books that I have received from DCBS that I can't read yet.

Are any of these books safe to read WITHOUT being spoiled by the books impacted by shipping delays?

So far, I've not read:

Potential "Forever Evil" storyline dependency:
Justice League #29 (upcoming DCBS shipment)
Batgirl #30
Action Comics #30
Superman/WonderWoman #7
StormWatch #30
Phantom Stranger #18
Superboy #30
Batman Eternal #1
Batman Eternal #2(upcoming DCBS shipment)
Pandora #10(upcoming DCBS shipment)

Potential "First Contact" storyline dependency:
Worlds Finest #21
Worlds Finest #22
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Advice Requested: Reading Order Impact of DC shipping d

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are some of my thoughts:

Batgirl #30 has spoiler-ish aspects to it.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
There are vague mentions of Nightwing being gone and referring to him in the past tense. That isn't to say he dies but at the very least, Batgirl thinks he is dead.
StormWatch #30: Seemed safe to read to me.

Batman Eternal #1: I haven't read this one yet. I'll be reading it in the next day or so since I'm recording the next Weekly Comics Spotlight tomorrow night which features it.

I've been holding off on reading these pending Batman/Superman #9:
Worlds Finest #21
Worlds Finest #22
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

CoolBreeze wrote:Hey gang, I'm an oddball when I say that I'm enjoying the storylines that DC has been publishing.
yeah, i'm liking a bunch of DC myself

Are any of these books safe to read WITHOUT being spoiled by the books impacted by shipping delays?

So far, I've not read:

Justice League #29 i'm a bit worried about this one-my brother said its the metal men again but this time they are more involved in crossover- so this one might be a good one to wait on

Batman Eternal #1-safe
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
CoolBreeze
Visitor

Post by CoolBreeze »

John.. I really appreciate your response. It appears you have the same perspective as I do about those books you called out.

Also, thanks for the heads up on Batgirl #30 ... I'll hold off reading it until after Forever Evil #7. Maybe do the same with the Superboy #30 title. The solict's refer to a post-Forever Evil change in status quo.

I assume that you didn't noticed the books that bear the Superman family "Doomed" logo or a Futures' End connection (Stormwatch #30, Aquaman and the Others #1) didn't reference any delayed books OR you didn't have a chance to read any of those you didn't mention. I'll add those back into the read pile.

I'll be listening intently to the next Weekly Comics Spotlight podcast for your (and Drew's) assessment of Batman Eternal #1. I'm looking forward to getting more story at a faster pace.
CoolBreeze
Visitor

Post by CoolBreeze »

drew102e wrote:Justice League #29 i'm a bit worried about this one-my brother said its the metal men again but this time they are more involved in crossover- so this one might be a good one to wait on

Batman Eternal #1-safe
Thanks Drew! Holding off on Justice League for now.. And TOTALLY glad I don't have to wait and get behind on the fun with the new BATMAN ETERNAL weekly. :D
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

CoolBreeze wrote:I assume that you didn't noticed the books that bear the Superman family "Doomed" logo or a Futures' End connection (Stormwatch #30, Aquaman and the Others #1) didn't reference any delayed books OR you didn't have a chance to read any of those you didn't mention. I'll add those back into the read pile.

I'll be listening intently to the next Weekly Comics Spotlight podcast for your (and Drew's) assessment of Batman Eternal #1. I'm looking forward to getting more story at a faster pace.
Aquaman and the Others #1 has a tease for Futures End but nothing major.

Stormwatch #30 ended the series and was as disconnected from the rest of the New 52 universe as most of the rest of the series was.

I haven't read Superman/Wonder Woman yet which I think kicks off Doomed. Not sure if I'll read it or hold off on it.

Batman Eternal #1 didn't seem to reference Forever Evil or anything outside of the Batman corner of the universe at all. It did start with a single page flash forward to the finale of the series for dramatic effect.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I've been holding off on the following and with Forever Evil #7 finally shipping, I'm planning on reading them all this weekend. What is the recommended reading order for:

Forever Evil Aftermath: Batman vs Bane #1
Trinity of Sin: Pandora #10
Superman/Wonder Woman #7
Superman #30
Superman: Doomed #1
Action Comics #31
Superman/Wonder Woman #8

Thanks.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

JohnMayo wrote: Forever Evil Aftermath: Batman vs Bane #1
Trinity of Sin: Pandora #10
Superman/Wonder Woman #7
Superman #30
Superman: Doomed #1
Action Comics #31
Superman/Wonder Woman #8
Having read all these books now the order listed here works just fine. The first 2 (Aftermath and Pandora #10) it doesn't really matter the order, both take place after Forever Evil #7 but other then that it doesn't matter which of these two you read first after Forever Evil #7.

The Superman Doomed stuff I would read and think only really works in the order listed. Since it isn't on the list I assume you have read it, but I would really start with Action #30 even before Superman/Wonder Woman #7.
CoolBreeze
Visitor

Post by CoolBreeze »

Well the wait is almost over... (I get my DCBS shipment tomorrow containing FE #7). Thanks ever so much for the advice and feedback. My list has expanded somewhat from the original list I posted earlier. I'll have a nice stack of books to get through this week and pretty excited to finish up the Forever Evil story line.

Again, saying "Thanks" for the responses and advice. This forum is really a cool place and the posts here just adds to my comics enjoyment that much more!