Previews Spotlight #079 (May->Jul) Deadline: Sat AM, May 10

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #079 (May->Jul) Deadline: Sat AM, May 10

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, April 30th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, May 10th.

The earlier you send in submissions, the happier I'll be. It is a bit awkward to not get any of the submissions until the last minute. If you think of more you'd like to talk about after you've sent in submissions, feel free to send more in clips.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

A couple of quick things that help out a lot in the organizing and producing of the episode:

Please featured item in a separate audio file. Exceptions can be made but the episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

If possible, please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p###-: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
M###-: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.
Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools we use to prep the clips for the episode handle spaces in filenames gracefully.

If it is something not in Previews (like The Private Eye), use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.

So, essentially, it use this:
p000-[M000-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p000-: placeholder for the page number in Previews
M###-: placeholder for the page number in Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is. The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

At the very least, please include the full name of the item in the filename so it can be properly listed in the show notes. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.

Dark Horse: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52221
DC: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52321
DC (September Future's End): http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52319
IDW: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52331
Image: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52314
Marvel: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52338
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Previews Spotlight #079 (May->Jul) Deadline: Sat AM, May

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the Comic Book Page picks for the month:

DARK HORSE

USAGI YOJIMBO COLOR SPECIAL: THE ARTIST
Stan Sakai (W/A/Cover) and Tom Luth (C)
On sale July 9
FC, 32 pages $3.99 / One-shot
The artist of 47 Ronin returns to his signature creation in a new one-shot collecting four Usagi Yojimbo tales in full color, from the pages of Dark Horse Presents and MySpace DHP! In this issue, Usagi encounters ghosts, thugs, pumpkins(?!), and a foreign artist with a price on his head! Collects “Saya,” “Buntori,” “The Artist,” and the much-lauded “Cut the Plum”! Collects stories from Dark Horse Presents #7, #35, and #36, and MySpace Dark Horse Presents #18 and #35!

DC

GRAYSON #1
Written by TIM SEELEY
Art by MIKEL JANIN
Cover by ANDREW ROBINSON
BATMAN 75 variant cover
Blank variant cover
1:100 Variant cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
On sale JULY 2 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for more information.
Dick Grayson. Former sidekick. Former Super Hero. Former dead man. And now...agent of Spyral?!
A thrilling new chapter of Dick Grayson’s life begins in this new, ongoing series. It’s a super-spy thriller that will shock you and prove one thing: You might think you know Nightwing – but you don’t know Dick.

BOOSTER GOLD: FUTURES END #1
Advance solicit • On sale SEPTEMBER 24
32 pg, FC • RATED T
3-D Motion Edition: $3.99 US
2-D Standard Edition: $2.99 US
Orders due May 29 • Not offered on FOC
Trapped out of time on a world that defies reason, Booster Gold struggles to escape the fate that has held him and so many forgotten heroes captive!

IDW

STAR TREK #35
Mike Johnson (w) • Tony Shasteen (a & c)
"The Q Conceit" begins here! The crew of the new STAR TREK film franchise encounters the classic Trek villain Q for the first time, only in this all-new 6-part galaxy-spanning adventure overseen by screenwriter/producer Roberto Orci! The mischievous Q sends James T. Kirk on quest that will see the Enterprise joining forces with familiar faces from Star Trek lore, beginning with the crew of a certain Deep Space Station... number 9!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

SUPREME: BLUE ROSE #1
STORY: WARREN ELLIS
ART/COVER: TULA LOTAY
JULY 23
32 PAGES / FC / M $2.99
You are not dreaming. We are trying to communicate with you. Local reality has been reinstalled. Things have gone wrong. The revision has corrupted. Finding Ethan Crane is your supreme priority. We are speaking to you from the ultimate bunker within the structure of multiversal time. Do not trust Darius Dax. We are all going to die. SUPREME: BLUE ROSE. Re-introducing the central Image Comics character, with WARREN ELLIS and TULA LOTAY.

MARVEL

DAREDEVIL #5
MARK WAID (W) • CHRIS SAMNEE (A/C)
• What killed Foggy Nelson?
• And now that he’s “dead,” what is he supposed to do with his life?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

OTHER

BOOM! STUDIOS

BLACK MARKET #1
(W) Frank J. Barbiere (A) Victor Santos (CA) Victor Santos
WHY WE LOVE IT: Here at BOOM!, we’ve never shied away from exploring the dark crevices of the superhero genre that other publishers can’t. From Mark Waid’s IRREDEEMABLE to Mike Carey’s SUICIDE RISK, we love finding new ways to push the boundaries of our medium's favorite genre.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: BLACK MARKET mixes the visceral noir/pulp sensibilities of Frank J. Barbiere’s FIVE GHOSTS and Victor Santos’ FILTHY RICH with a truly modern take on superhero mythos. If you love Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips’ work on Sleeper like we do, this series is for you.
WHAT’S IT ABOUT: Ray Willis is a broken man, a disgraced medical examiner making ends meet by preparing corpses at a funeral parlor. His scientific genius is being wasted...that is, until his estranged criminal brother Denny shows up on his doorstep, supposedly cleaned­up and proposing a once­in­a­lifetime partnership to cure not just cancer, but all disease. The catch? It exists within the DNA of superheroes.
32pgs, FC $3.99

12-GAUGE COMICS

SHERWOOD, TX #1
(W) Shane Berryhill (A) Daniel Hillyard (CA) Andrew Robinson
Reimagining the legend of Robin Hood as a modern day Spaghetti Western, Sherwood, TX is set inside the world of biker gangs, drug wars, human trafficking, and revenge. (STK643540)
24pgs, FC (1 of 5) $1.00

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT

HARBINGER #25
(W) Joshua Dysart (A) Khari Evans
(CA) Mico Suayan, Jenny Frison, Lucy Knisley, Sean Chen, Barry Kitson
AN OVERSIZED, 48-PAGE ANNIVERSARY MILESTONE! Everything has led to this… With one of their own dead at the hands of the Harbinger Foundation, vengeance must be wreaked…and the ultimate clash between Peter Stanchek and Toyo Harada happens here! New York Times best-selling writer Joshua Dysart and Harvey Award nominee Khari Evans unleash the devastating final chapter two years in the making! Plus: all-new stories and insights from across the mind-bending world of Harbinger from an incredible roster of visionary creators, including Dan Goldman (Red Light Properties), Justin Jordan (Dead Man Down), Barry Kitson (Empire), Andrew Pepoy (Fables), Rafer Roberts, Ronald Wimberly (Prince of Cats), and many more!
48pgs, FC $4.99
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

FYI, the deadline is tomorrow. At this point, it looks like it might be a short episode...
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

John,
I am working on mine right now. I think the previews coming out on the 30th might have something to do with people not getting their picks in. I do Monthly shipping with DCBS so I only got my previews on Tuesday of this week. With the end of the school year and a catalogue over 500 pages I can see people getting behind schedule or getting overwhelmed with their kids end of school year stuff. I should have 5-10 selections in an hr or so....

TJ
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

p059-Finder Third World TP
p072-Sally Heathcote Suffragette HC
p163-Trillium TP
p183-The Squidder #1
p184-Transformers vs G.I. Joe #1
p239-Rocket Girl Vol. 1 Times Squared TP
p280-Youth Is Wasted GN
p335-The Devilers #1
p357-Kings Watch TP
p369-The Shadow Hero GN

TJ
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Dark Horse
Groo vs. Conan #1

DC
Teen Titans #1

IDW
Doberman #1

Zenescope
Grimm Tales of Terror #1
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

TJ602 wrote:John,
I am working on mine right now. I think the previews coming out on the 30th might have something to do with people not getting their picks in. I do Monthly shipping with DCBS so I only got my previews on Tuesday of this week. With the end of the school year and a catalogue over 500 pages I can see people getting behind schedule or getting overwhelmed with their kids end of school year stuff. I should have 5-10 selections in an hr or so....

TJ
Even without having school issues, it has been really busy for me lately so I completely understand. I wish there was some way to give more time to get the clips in but there is only so much time between when Previews comes out and when the orders are due. If anybody has any ideas, let me know.
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

John,

I am not complaining at all. I know you have a schedule you like to keep to. I just looked at the DCBS order sheet and the order cutoff date is may 28th.....so more than 2 weeks from today. Is that the usual for each month? If its always 2 weeks before the cutoff then maybe moving it back is not a bad idea. On the other hand you know how people are about procrastination :).....If the time crunch is only related to the previews coming out on the 30th, then maybe don't worry about it as the problem will disappear next month.

TJ
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

ComicsForFunAndProfit Picks
new suicide squad #1
magneto #6/7
spread #1
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

ROCKET RACCOON #1
SPIDER-MAN 2099 #1
ALL-NEW GHOST RIDER #5
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #1
HARLEY QUINN INVADES COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL: SAN DIEGO #1
TRANSFORMERS VS. G.I. JOE #1
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I am not complaining at all. I know you have a schedule you like to keep to. I just looked at the DCBS order sheet and the order cutoff date is may 28th.....so more than 2 weeks from today. Is that the usual for each month? If its always 2 weeks before the cutoff then maybe moving it back is not a bad idea. On the other hand you know how people are about procrastination :).....If the time crunch is only related to the previews coming out on the 30th, then maybe don't worry about it as the problem will disappear next month.

TJ
i've only been around for a year-ish so i only know the accelerated schedule, think it used to be longer, i know john has a bunch on his plate at the end of the month though with the release of sales figures...if only he could clone himself and give us another week or stop time, that would help :lol:
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I don't know when DCBS' cut-off is, but the cut off date published on the consumer order form, and what many shops request is that orders be in by is the 18th of the month. If this episode follows the normal release schedule it will be released on Wednesday the 14th. The 18th falls on a Sunday this month and many shops are closed on Sundays, meaning these orders will have to be in on the 17th. So while it my feel rushed, many people ordering through local shops will only have 3-4 days to listen to the episode and get their orders in to their shops. I don't see how it could be pushed back any farther and still be effective for the most amount of people.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Drew's Picks
Extinction Parade War 1
Sex Criminals 7
Mind MgMt 24
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:

TJ
i've only been around for a year-ish so i only know the accelerated schedule, think it used to be longer, i know john has a bunch on his plate at the end of the month though with the release of sales figures...if only he could clone himself and give us another week or stop time, that would help :lol:
The is the only schedule we had except for the one month in which we move everything a week earlier so that clips were due only a few days after Previews was released. The idea was to get the episode up a week or so before the next round of solicitations were released on the web instead of the same week. It made it difficult, if not impossible, for most people to have a copy of Previews before the clips needed to be in. Other than that one month, the clips have always been due about 10 days after Previews hits the shelves at comic stores.

That having been said, with Free Comic Book Day last weekend, the end of the school year and other stuff, ten days can go by really quickly.

Using the release date of Previews as the pivot point, the timeline is like this:

* two weeks beforePreviews comes out, the solicits of the premiere publishers are post online at places like ComicBookResources.com
* the week before Previews comes out, Diamond released the information on the PreviewsWorld.com website
* Previews comes out on the last Wednesday of the month (by this point, a week or more before I've gotten Previews is when I need to send in the Comic Book Page picks to DCBS for the upcoming Previews)
* on or around the day Previews comes out, I send out the first email reminder for the Previews Spotlight deadline
* the Wednesday after Previews came out, I send out the second email reminder for the Previews Spotlight deadline
* the Saturday morning ten days after Previews comes out is the deadline for the Previews Spotlight
* that Saturday (or Sunday if I'm running late), I clean up all of the clips, assemble the episode and get it posted
* the Wednesday two week after Previews ships, the Previews Spotlight comes out (this is around the time the next rounds of solicits hits the web at places like ComicBookResources.com)
* the following week, the orders are due at local retailers (the consumer order form has a deadline of the 18th of each month so that local retailers can get the information from customers, update pull lists and aggregate the information to compile their order) [this is around the time Diamond posts the next Previerws information on the PreviewsWorld.com website, this is also when I need to send in the Comic Book Page picks to DCBS for the Previews)
* sometime the following week are when DCBS orders are due which is often around the time the next Previews ships, (since DCBS has things automated they don't need orders as early as local retailers who get orders and pull list updates either verbally or on paper)

The overlap shift a little with five week months.

As it stands, I usually don't get the overwhelming majority of the clips until Friday evening or Saturday morning. This month, that overwhelming majority was 100% of the clips. In the past day I went from no clips to over three dozen with a combined duration of about 68 minutes. As someone that still needs to record my own clips, I totally get the time issue and greatly appreciate all of you guys contributing to these episodes.

Putting on of the Previews Spotlight episodes together is a bit of an involved process. It isn't particularly difficult (unless one of the clips needs an unusual amount of clean up) but it is time consuming, taking between 4 to 8 hours depending on the total length of the clips and a few other factors. Putting the episode together on a weekday evening would be challenging which is why I do it on the weekend when I have more time I can devote to it.

The other scheduling challenge for me is the monthly sales data comes out over this same weekend meaning I need to be doing the prep work for the next Mayo Report article and episodes during the same weekend as the putting together the Previews Spotlight episode.

The timeline isn't great but it is the way it is because of the constraints of the timeline itself. The crux of the problem is if the clip deadline is earlier in the month then people don't have Previews or enough time to do clips. But, if the deadline gets pushed back, either I don't have time to get the episode put together before it needs to go up or it goes up later making it of little use to people shopping at local stores.

Like I said before, if anybody has ideas, let me know.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

* two weeks beforePreviews comes out, the solicits of the premiere publishers are post online at places like ComicBookResources.com
This is probably the best source for folks to base their picks in plenty of time, i keep saying i am going to do mine this way but havent followed through