Batman Eternal thoughts?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

DNArington
Fan

Batman Eternal thoughts?

Post by DNArington »

I've been getting the Batman Eternal series and I was surprised just how much I liked it!! The art is gorgeous, the story is exciting and that train crash was awesome!! I think it is better than the main Batman title for me! Do any of you agree? Disagree?
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Re: Batman Eternal thoughts?

Post by fudd71 »

I have been reading and have enjoyed the first four issues of Batman Eternal. With the book coming out weekly is really does feel like it is moving right along. However, I have to say issues 3 & 4 seemed to take a bit of a turn.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER: Issues 1 & 2
two were great focusing on the event you mentioned, how it affected Jim Gordon and showing who may be behind it (I still think there is someone bigger behind the character that has been revealed).

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER: Issue 3
dealt with how this effected Barbara and started a story with Stephanie Brown.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER: Issue 4
brought Tim Drake and Harper Rowe in and started a whole new line of mystery and tech that may have been involved in the events of issue one and revealed a character I didn't recognize at the end. If anyone knows or has an opinion who that character was I would love to hear it
I do hope the story finds a focus instead of seemingly giving us a new and different story each week with no real progress in any story. We are four issues in and if doesn't feel like much happened to move the story forward since issue 2.
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

So far so good. I like the weekly pace. Good for momentum. I get several of the DC digital first books. So I really like the weekly pace. Price wise not as much though.

So far my only complaint is the very first page of issue 1. Since it is the first page of the entire series I don't feel this is a spoiler. But the whole batman chained and the city is on fire. It feels like in the last few years between comics and movies I've gotten a lot of stories of Gotham City looking basically destroyed. Starting to lose its impact on me.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I think the approach they are taking is one central event/mystery which each of the various Batman family characters are experiencing/investigating from a different angle. This should allow them to have distinct story threads with natural intersections kind of like they did with 52 except a bit more naturally interconnected. Overall, I'm really enjoying the series but I agree that these initial issues do feel a slightly more disconnected than I was expected.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

i love it...batman, great writing, nice art and story momentum...and all for $2.99
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

did anyone else feel this series took another distinct creative turn with issue six?
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
particularly bringing in the super-natural in what felt at the beginning like a very street level story about organized crime and political corruption?
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

fudd71 wrote:did anyone else feel this series took another distinct creative turn with issue six?
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
particularly bringing in the super-natural in what felt at the beginning like a very street level story about organized crime and political corruption?
I agree it took another big creative turn here. I think what John said about the benefits of this format is quite true. And I agree, David...this has been a really fun series so far! I initially planned to skip this whole series, but I finally checked it out after hearing several good reviews. I am also enjoying this even more than the main Batman title.
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

I LOVE IT! 5/5 week in and week out.
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

it seems to meander a little bit lately but i am still really enjoying it
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)