Previews Spotlight #080 (Jun->Aug) Deadline: Sat AM, Jun 7

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #080 (Jun->Aug) Deadline: Sat AM, Jun 7

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, May 28th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, June 7th.

The monthly Comic Book Page Previews Teleconference will be on Saturday, June 7th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

As always, you can join the call at any time and leave whenever you need to. I'll be on Skype shortly before the 7pm Central. Just chat me on Skype and I'll add you to the conference call. My Skype handle is theJohnMayo.

The earlier you send in submissions, the happier I'll be. If you think of more you'd like to talk about after you've sent in submissions, feel free to send more in clips.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread with the full title and issue number. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

A couple of quick things that help out a lot in the organizing and producing of the episode:

Please featured item in a separate audio file. Exceptions can be made but the episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

If possible, please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p###-: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
M###-: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.
Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools we use to prep the clips for the episode handle spaces in filenames gracefully.

If it is something not in Previews (like The Private Eye), use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.

So, essentially, it use this:
p000-[M000-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p000-: placeholder for the page number in Previews
M###-: placeholder for the page number in Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is. The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

At the very least, please include the full name of the item in the filename so it can be properly listed in the show notes. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.

Dark Horse: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52832
DC: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52904
IDW: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52936
Image: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52949
Marvel: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52933
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #080 (Jun->Aug) Deadline: Sat AM, Jun

Post by drew »

can't believe its time for clips already...remember when i said i was going to send in clips from online solicits...well...i haven't done that yet...but i'll try not to be at the last minute this time around...
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the Comic Book Page picks of the month:

DARK HORSE:

POP #1 (OF 4)
Curt Pires (W), Jason Copland (A), Pete Toms (C), and Dylan Todd (Cover)
On sale Aug 27
FC, 32 pages $3.99 / Miniseries
What if the world’s pop stars and celebrities were literally products, grown by the world’s wealthiest (and most depraved) minds—and one of them escaped? As unique as it is entertaining, POP is a white-knuckled thrill ride through the marketing-mastered, technologically tethered tragicomedy we call life.

DC:

BATMAN #34
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Art and cover by MATTEO SCALERA
DC UNIVERSE SELFIE variant cover
1:25 Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
On sale AUGUST 13 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Combo pack edition: $4.99 US
Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for details.
ZERO YEAR is over, and the events of BATMAN: ETERNAL have put Gotham City in a tailspin, but Batman is focused on finding a killer who has haunted his hometown in secret for years. This special issue features art by Matteo Scalera (DEADPOOL, Black Science) and sets the stage for the next major Batman story in the fall.
This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

IDW:

STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS #2: CORE
John Byrne (writer, artist & photo-manipulation)
John Byrne continues his new Star Trek photonovel adventures! In “Core,” from the raging heart of the galaxy comes a message that summons the crew of the Starship: Enterprise on their most bizarre and dangerous mission. A message sent by their own captain… ten centuries earlier!
FC • 48 pages • $7.99

IMAGE:

IMPERIAL #1
STORY: STEVEN T. SEAGLE
ART / COVER: MARK DOS SANTOS
AUGUST 6
32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99
Mark is two weeks out from making the biggest decision of his life. But which big decision will it be? Taking the ring of the woman of his dreams and becoming a married man? Or taking the crown of the world’s only superhero and becoming the next Imperial? STEVEN T. SEAGLE (THE RED DIARY/ THE RE[A]D DIARY, Genius, it’s a bird…) teams with MARK DOS SANTOS for a buddy book with commitment issues.

GENIUS #1 (OF 5)
STORY: ADAM FREEMAN & MARC BERNARDIN
ART / COVER: AFUA RICHARDSON
AUGUST 6
32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99
GENIUS: ISSUES 1-5, WEEKLY THROUGHOUT AUGUST
The Winner of Top Cow’s Pilot Season makes its triumphant return to print!
What if the greatest military mind of our generation was born to a people who are already supremely conditioned to wage war, who know nothing but violence since birth, and must continually adapt to new predators in order to survive? What if the second coming of Alexander the Great, of Genghis Khan, of Napoleon, of Patton...what if it was a teenaged girl from South Central, L.A. named Destiny? And what if she decides to secede three blocks of the ‘Hood from the Union? Who is going to take it back from her and her army of gangbangers? Who CAN?
From writers MARC BERNARDIN and ADAM FREEMAN (Alphas, X-Men Origins: Nightcrawler, The Authority, The Highwaymen) and rising-star artist AFUA RICHARDSON comes a harrowing, action-packed tale of a city that declares war on a brilliant young woman pushed to the edge.

MARVEL:

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY ANNUAL #1
Brian Michael Bendis (W) • Frank Cho (A/C)
ARTIST VARIANT Cover by TBA
• Most days in space aren't exactly what you'd call normal, but everything seemed to be status quo today.
• That is until a S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier showed up out of nowhere...IN SPACE.
• Sometimes you have to go outside your jurisdiction to take care of business, but this might be stretching it a bit.
40 PGS./Rated T ...$4.99

OTHER:

ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

SHINOBI: NINJA PRINCESS #1
(W/A/CA) Martheus Wade
Jishin (Confidence): 14 year-old ninja princess Shianndrea Toshigawa and her strike team have a new mission: spy on their rivals, the Azumi Ninja Clan, and discover what secret dealings they have with the evil Emperor of Japan. But when the plan goes awry and fellow ninja Hamasuke is captured, can Shianndrea overcome her lack of confidence and save him before it’s too late? Available with a regular cover by Martheus Wade and a limited cover by Tressa Bowling. (STK646619)
WADE COVER—32pgs, FC (1 of 6) $3.99
BOWLING COVER—32pgs, FC $4.99

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

SOLAR: MAN OF THE ATOM #5
(W) Frank J. Barbiere (A) Jonathan Lau (CA) Juan Doe
PART 1 OF A NEW STORY ARC! Okay, so 1) Erica’s got ALL the Solar powers. 2) Erica doesn’t know how to use the Solar powers. 3) Erica’s dad keeps bugging her about how to use the Solar powers. 4) Erica's lost waaaaaay the hell out in space because of the Solar powers, and 5) Pretty much every alien ever wants to catch Erica and steal the Solar powers! Things are gonna blow up. Welcome to the most bat-s&%t insane lost-in-space story ever by Frank Barbiere (Five Ghosts) and new artist Jonathan Lau (Codename: Action)!
FC, 32pgs $3.99

FLASH GORDON #5
(W) Jeff Parker (A) Evan Shaner (CA) Marc Laming
BRAND NEW ARC! Same Creative Dream Team! Jeff Parker (Batman ’66, Aquaman), Evan “Doc” Shaner (Adventures of Superman) and Jordie Bellaire (Moon Knight) take Flash to Sky City, as The Man From Earth battles against the Hawkmen under rule of Ming The Merciless! How’s one man supposed to save a galaxy? Simple… punch stuff and keep smiling! Find out why IGN says “If you are starting a list of Best Comics of 2014, make sure you leave room for Flash Gordon #1!"
FC, 32pgs $3.99
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Steampunk Battlestar Galactica: 1880 #1from Dynamite. Their solicits can be found here - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/21/ ... stice-inc/
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Comics For Fun & Profit picks

Multiversity #1
Superior Spider-Man #32
TBD
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

DCBS has posted the order form: http://www.dcbservice.com/downloads.aspx
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Bralinator picks:

Six Million Dollar Man Season 6 #6
Star Wars #20
Big Trouble In Little China #3
Captain Victory & the Galactic Rangers #1

Hopefully there won't be too many rookie mistakes :!:
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

p038-Edgar Allen Poe's Spirits of the Dead HC
p055-The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Vol. 1 TP
p069-Action Philosophers HC
p118-All Star Western #34
p145-Y The Last Man Book One TP
p213-The Fuse Vol. 1 The Russia Shift TP
p248-SIP Kids #1
p291-The Collector HC

TJ
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

drew102e wrote:can't believe its time for clips already...remember when i said i was going to send in clips from online solicits...well...i haven't done that yet...but i'll try not to be at the last minute this time around...
Drew, I'm rooting for you to get them in on time. Clock is ticking!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote:Bralinator picks:

Star Wars #20

you'll be great can't wait to hear em
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Drew's Picks

Mind MGMT #25
Critter #23
Hip Hop Vol 1
Sex Criminals #8
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

drew102e wrote:

Star Wars #20

Haha ~ I guess we'll find out this week! Thanks for the support.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote:
drew102e wrote:

Star Wars #20

Haha ~ I guess we'll find out this week! Thanks for the support.
#1-you CRUSHED it, sounded great (whats your gear/software combo)

#2-didnt realize that was the last DH star wars, bummer

#3-you convinced me to read another 6 mil $ man after not liking the first one, nice
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Fantastic episode everyone! Already looking through the online solicits for September.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

drew102e wrote: #1-you CRUSHED it, sounded great (whats your gear/software combo)

#2-didnt realize that was the last DH star wars, bummer

#3-you convinced me to read another 6 mil $ man after not liking the first one, nice
Thanks Drew!

1) I used an SM57 and a TASCAM DR-40 to record the audio. I then pasted it together and cleaned it up a bit with Adobe Audition.

2) Yes. An end of an era for sure. I have high hopes for Marvel, while trying to keep my expectations low. After all, there STILL hasn't been anything Disney Ducks related published since Marvel got the license from BOOM! We'll see what happens next. Hopefully it will be as creative and daring as Dark Horse.

3) I've stuck with 6MDM and hope the title continues to improve. I'm at least going to stick with it through the Bigfoot arc :D