Wanted: Quality INDEPENDENTS I could start reading cold?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

jacovny
Contributor

Wanted: Quality INDEPENDENTS I could start reading cold?

Post by jacovny »

HELP WANTED: WHICH INDEPENDENT TITLES COULD I HOP ON-BOARD WITHOUT A LOT OF BACK-READING? I mentioned the difficulty of trying new things on a limited budget in a previous post, especially with the length of modern story arcs. I hear infinite praise for series like "Walking Dead" and "Saga", but I don't have built-in background knowledge of these characters and the universes they inhabit like I might for a D.C. or Marvel hero whom I saw in Saturday morning cartoons. "Walking Dead" is now around 150 issues in -- that's a lot of missed story and character development, thus I'm tentative about pre-ordering multiple months worth without having a concrete jumping-on point. Otherwise it might be like trying to start watching "Lost" in the middle of the 4th season. I'd have been, well, lost. I'd be grateful for any titles you suggest which wouldn't require me to go back and read all the trades.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Wanted: Quality INDEPENDENTS I could start reading cold?

Post by JohnMayo »

Think Tank is only about a dozen or so issues in and is a lot of fun.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Manifest Destiny ($2.99, Image)

As a teacher you probably know enough of the Lewis & Clark adventure to reconize the main characters and the purpose of the overall mission. Unlike the historical version, this book adds alot of fantasy elements but doesn't change who Lewis &Clark really were. The tpb is $9.99 (issues 1- 6) and the series is currently on issue 7.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Wicked & the Divine #1 just came out and its great

Southern (bleeps) is really good and and on #2

Outkast is good, you can get in on the ground floor on this one as well
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

Velvet from Image comics. Only 5 issues so far. All five are reprinted in the first trade. So easy to catch up on.

Lazarus also from Image is only up to 8 or 9.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:Manifest Destiny ($2.99, Image)

As a teacher you probably know enough of the Lewis & Clark adventure to reconize the main characters and the purpose of the overall mission. Unlike the historical version, this book adds alot of fantasy elements but doesn't change who Lewis &Clark really were. The tpb is $9.99 (issues 1- 6) and the series is currently on issue 7.
I LOVE THIS BOOK
jacovny
Contributor

Post by jacovny »

drew102e wrote:
SpideySavestheDay wrote:Manifest Destiny ($2.99, Image)

I LOVE THIS BOOK
Glad you mentioned this one. I was just looking at the solicit for the next issue in PREVIEWS and contemplating it. I'll go ahead and sample it on your recommendation.
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

I get it in trades, so I could be wrong, but I think Lazarus is still under issue 20 and it is awesome!
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

DNArington wrote:I get it in trades, so I could be wrong, but I think Lazarus is still under issue 20 and it is awesome!
you are spot on with Lazarus-been missing your submissions to Previews Spotlight...hope you send some in this week
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:
DNArington wrote:I get it in trades, so I could be wrong, but I think Lazarus is still under issue 20 and it is awesome!
you are spot on with Lazarus-been missing your submissions to Previews Spotlight...hope you send some in this week
I agree that Lazarus is worth checking out.

And I just got 5 clips for the next Previews Spotlight from DNArington...
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

:D cool
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

If you are a fan of Jeff Lemire or Dustin Nguyen their new title Descender, from Image, starts in March. You could get in on the ground floor. CBR has published a preview - http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=25548.

Wayward and Copperhead are two more Image titles that just wrapped up their first story arcs. Wayward (http://comicsalliance.com/wayward-image ... -cummings/) is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Scooby Gang type title that takes place in contemporary Japan. Copperhead (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=22089) is a space western.

Velvet, Lazarus, and Wicked and the Divine (which have been mentioned) are on my pull list too.
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

Oh goodness, Dustin Nguyen's art on the book looks incredible.

Manifest Destiny is a book I am gonna start reading soon, along with Copperhead (love Jay Faerber), and Wayward (Zub is a fun guy).