Previews Spotlight #082 (Aug->Oct) Deadline: Sat AM, Aug 9

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #082 (Aug->Oct) Deadline: Sat AM, Aug 9

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, July 30th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, August 9th.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread with the full title and issue number. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

A couple of quick things that help out a lot in the organizing and producing of the episode:

Please featured item in a separate audio file. Exceptions can be made but the episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

If possible, please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p###-: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
M###-: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.
Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools we use to prep the clips for the episode handle spaces in filenames gracefully.

If it is something not in Previews (like The Private Eye), use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.

So, essentially, it use this:
p000-[M000-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p000-: placeholder for the page number in Previews
M###-: placeholder for the page number in Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is. The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

At the very least, please include the full name of the item in the filename so it can be properly listed in the show notes. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.

Dark Horse: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=54105
DC: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=54050
IDW: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=54080
Image: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=54072
Marvel: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=54064
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Previews Spotlight #082 (Aug->Oct) Deadline: Sat AM, Aug

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews came out a week earlier than I was expecting but the deadline will remain Saturday, August 9th.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Comic Book Page picks:

DARK HORSE

ATHENA VOLTAIRE COMPENDIUM HC
Steve Bryant (W/A/Cover)
On sale Dec 10
HC, 240 pages $19.99
HC, 7” x 10”
In the knuckle-dusting style of classic pulp adventure comes Athena Voltaire, the beautiful globetrotting aviatrix who takes on Nazis, zombies, and unspeakable occult creatures! This whopping tome rescripts and remasters Athena’s adventures from the long-running, Eisner-nominated comic by Steve Bryant, including over fifty pages of brand-new material!

DC

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED ANNUAL #1
Written by JEFF LEMIRE
Art and cover by NEIL EDWARDS and JAY LEISTEN
On sale OCTOBER 29 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
The Infinitus Saga begins as the Legion of Super-Heroes arrive with the shocking news that the 31st century has been destroyed! Now it’s up to the Justice League United to save the future!

BATGIRL #35
Written by CAMERON STEWART and BRENDEN FLETCHER
Art by BABS TARR
Cover by CAMERON STEWART
MONSTERS Variant cover by KEVIN NOWLAN
On sale OCTOBER 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
Barbara Gordon is no stranger to dusting herself off when disaster strikes… so when a fire destroys everything she owned, she spots the opportunity for a new lease on life — and seizes it! Following the rest of Gotham’s young adults to the hip border district of Burnside, Barbara sets about building an all-new Batgirl… and discovers all-new threats preying on her peers! It’s a re-invention of Batgirl from the boots up, by the incredible creative team of Cameron Stewart (BATMAN INC.), Brenden Fletcher (WEDNESDAY COMICS), and rising star Babs Tarr!

BATWOMAN #35
Written by MARC ANDREYKO
Art by GEORGES JEANTY
Cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
On sale OCTOBER 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
The new storyline “Batwoman and the Unknowns” starts now with new artist Georges Jeanty (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)! Batwoman is neck-deep in danger with her new allies Ragman, The Demon, Clayface and Red Alice! What is going on and how did Batwoman end up here? Find out beginning in this issue!

MARVEL

CAPTAIN AMERICA #25
RICK REMENDER (w) • CARLOS PACHECO(a)
Cover by STUART IMMONEN
VARIANT Cover by STEVE MCNIVEN
VARIANT Cover by Adam Hughes
DEADPOOL 75TH VARIANT COVER BY TBA
HASBRO VARAINT COVER BY TBA
STOMP OUT BULLYING VARIANT COVER BY TBA
Extra-Sized Issue!
• Who is the All-New Captain America?
• The conclusion to the story that began in Dimension Z as Zola strikes in unison with The Red Skull!
• The final fate of Jet Black!
40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

DEATHLOK #1
NATHAN EDMONDSON (W) • MIKE PERKINS (A/C)
VARIANT Cover by CLAYTON R. CRAIN
VARIANT Cover by SKOTT YOUNG
HASBRO VARAINT COVER BY TBA
DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY TBA
BLANK COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
“Enemy of My Enemy”
• After Michael Collins, there was Henry Hayes
• A medic who travels to war zones to heal the wounded, he has no idea that when he’s in the field, he’s activated by a mysterious group and becomes the ultimate weapon of assassination and war: DEATHLOK
• From the writer of BLACK WIDOW and THE PUNISHER comes a new take on the iconic cyborg character making waves on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

OTHER PUBLISHERS

ARDDEN ENTERTAINMENT

THE OUTLAW AND THE KING #1
(W) Brendan Deneen, Max Brallier (A/CA) Mikael Bergkvist
For the first time ever, King Arthur faces off with Robin Hood! How is it possible for these two legends to finally meet? Find out in this action-packed issue where these epic heroes not only meet but also battle each other, only to discover that there’s a much larger threat to worry about. And if Arthur is around, can Merlin be far behind? The biggest fantasy comic of the year starts right here! (STK651876)
28pgs, FC $3.99

BOOM! STUDIOS

FICTION SQUAD #1 (OF 6)
(W) Paul Jenkins (A) Ramon Bachs
(CA) A: Ramon Bachs (90%); B: Michael Dialynas (10%)
WHY WE LOVE IT
After publishing Fairy Quest, we kinda have a thing for Fablewood, where all fairy tales and bedtime stories live side-byside. So when Paul Jenkins came up with a mystery and fantasy mash-up adventure set there and enlisted his Civil War: Front Line artist Ramon Bachs, we hopped aboard faster than Alice went down the rabbit hole!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT
In Fiction Squad, every nursery rhyme is a crime scene in the making. If you like your mystery mashed up with fantasy, this has got you covered. Fans of Fables and Once Upon A Time will find a lot to love. And if you enjoyed Humberto Ramos’ art on Fairy Quest, then you will not be disappointed when you see Ramon Bachs’ gorgeous line work. Plus, the project has hundreds of Kickstarter co-publishers like you!
WHAT IT’S ABOUT
Fablewood is a pretty dangerous place, but no area is more dangerous than the City of Rimes, deep in the heart of the Children’s Realm. After transferring in from the Realm of Mystery, a failed detective from an unfinished prose novel, Frankie Mack, is about to uncover a conspiracy that could unmake storytelling itself! After Humpty Dumpty is pushed to crack and Jack (of “Jack and Jill”) goes AWOL, Frankie and his partner, Simple Simon, are put on the case.
FC, 32pgs $3.99

REBELLION / 2000AD

ZENITH: PHASE ONE HC
(W) Grant Morrison (A/CA) Steve Yeowell
Available for the first time in 20 years, the legendary early work by Grant Morrison and Steve Yeowell! Berlin, 1945: The allies unleashed the World War II hero Maximan upon the German super soldier Masterman. Maximan’s defeat was only kept secret by the nuclear bomb which destroyed both men. Forty-plus years later, and twenty years after a generation of ’60s British superpowered heroes came and went, the teenage pop star Zenith is the only superhuman left — and his only interest in women, drugs, alchohol and fame. So when he is contacted about the threat from the many-angled ones and the impending destruction of our world, his first reaction is to steer well clear. But the superhumans of the past have other plans! (STK651477) (C: 0-0-1)
HC, 8x11, 112pgs, B&W $25.00
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

FYI, I probably won't get the reminder emails for sending in clips out until I get home around August 2nd. I don't think I have everything I need to send them out on my Surface. If I can get the Surface set up to send them out while I'm still on the road, I will otherwise I will send them after getting home from San Diego and San Antonio.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

"Godhead" crossover in...
NEW GODS: GODHEAD #1,
GREEN LANTERN #35,
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #35,
GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #35,
RED LANTERNS #35,
SINESTRO #6

My recording will be for the crossover itself and not an individual book. If anyone is interested in previewing one of the above titles, then don't let me dissuade you; it will be nice to hear another's take on those books.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

I'm going to try for the following:

Marvel pg 21: Guardians 3000 #1
Marvel pg 56: Ghost Rider #8
Marvel pg 78: Star Wars omnibus
Previews pg 179: Hero Initiative
Previews pg 317: Sherlock Vs Houdini
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Thor #1
Injustice #1/#2
Wyches #1
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

FYI: The reminder email you sent out earlier this week contained a link sending people to the previous month's Previews thread. Just thought I'd mention that. Hoped to see more review commitments posted by now. :shock:
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Thanks for letting me know about the mistake in the email. It doesn't seem to have been a problem yet as nobody has posted to the other thread.
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

p111-Catwoman #35
p181-Star Trek New Visions TPB
p220-Casanova Vol. 1 Luxuria the Complete Edition HC
p223-Stray Bullets Vol.1 Innocence of Nihilism TP
p223-Tales of Honor On Basilisk Station Vol.1 TP
p256-Strongman GN
p274-War.Stories #1