2014 fall television season

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

fudd71
Master Reviewer

2014 fall television season

Post by fudd71 »

Well with the new fall television season here and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the new stuff. Everything really, but the comic based stuff especially. We have now gotten 2 episodes of Gotham, and will get a second Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D tonight.

Gotham I enjoyed, I don't think it is the best television show ever but it was good. Personally it felt like they were trying too hard to introduce a ton of characters all in that first episode, didn't seem necessary. Might have worked a little better if they had spaced some of them out.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I didn't think they needed to bring in Carmine quite yet, at least not on camera. The introduction of Edward Nigma was a complete throw away and could have been saved for later as well. I also wan't a huge fan of Barbara and Renee Montoya having a past, seems unnecessary and forced. In a town that size you can't have everyone being introduced but also all being interconnected, at least not yet.
Scorpion I also enjoyed, not great by any stretch but a lot of fun. It seemed a little over the top and not realistic, much like a summer action movie it was fun enough to enjoy just don't over think it.

The Goldbergs came back with a strong episode and is still my favorite sitcom on television. For those of us that grew up in that era its a lot of fun plus I think the show is well written.

Big Bang Theory has been solid, but it is starting to feel like that show has run its course. The 4 single guys plus Penny felt like a better mix then them all being married and settled down.

Arrow and the Flash don't start till next week and we are still 3 weeks away from Constantine.

So what has anyone else thought about the fall schedule so far??
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: 2014 fall television season

Post by JohnMayo »

I haven't watched any of it yet. My sister was out of town last week and this week is Wizard World Austin. We'll start watching things soon.

Thanks for using the spoiler tag.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

I'm liking Gotham so far. It's a nice mix of a cop drama with the peculiarness of comic villians. The show is looking for its niche in the Batman lore. It has plenty of the Nolan-esqe skyline shots and Frank Miller's alley but not its own style.

A person I know said why would he watch a Batman show without Batman. That is what Gotham needs to prove to the average viewer.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

The Goldbergs came back with a strong episode and is still my favorite sitcom on television. For those of us that grew up in that era its a lot of fun plus I think the show is well written.
just discovered this at end of last season and it is now one of my faves, spot on for 80's kids
Arrow and the Flash don't start till next week and we are still 3 weeks away from Constantine.
saw an early flash and loved it but i really like Arrow so if felt similar in tone
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Excellent episode John. Introduced me to a couple of shows who's marketing I had missed.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

bralinator wrote:Excellent episode John. Introduced me to a couple of shows who's marketing I had missed.
Glad you liked it. It was my sister's idea and she did all of the prep work for it. I thought it was a lot of fun to record. The only challenge now is finding the time to watch the shows. I've barely watched anything yet this season. Things have been buy the last few weeks. I'm 3 episodes into Legends, 1 episode into Person of Interest and Forever and that is about it so far. My sister has been busy too so it has been a week or two since we've done the usual dinner and television thing which is part of why I'm behind on the new season.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

So this announcement is going to throw the whole TV world into a frenzy

At the end of the day I don't think this will have much impact on the television season or the overall rating of many shows or networks. I do think this could be a big deal for Rentrak a competitor on Nielsen.

The one thing that many who watch ratings closely have been seeing since the beginning of the season was ABC was receiving a large number of unexplained positive adjustments. When the revised rating finally come out I think we could see either ABC's number fall or all other network's number rise and ABCs stay the same. Either way I don't see it affecting ABCs current third position ranking. It could however bring fourth place Fox much closer and put second place CBS and first place NBC even farther ahead.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

in what multiverse is NBC in first place, they haven't been relevant since Seinfeld

oh wait i forgot about the Olympics...
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

drew102e wrote:in what multiverse is NBC in first place, they haven't been relevant since Seinfeld

Not the Olympics (those were in last season) but not scripted shows either. Sunday football and two evening of the Voice have NBC in a comfortable lead in the network vs. network averages for prime-time since the start of this season (September).
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

Thank you to John for talking about how good Arrow was. My family has been binge watching it on Netflix, and we are close to catching up for season 3 on CW. The show is wonderful, and I love how it does feel like a comic.

Also, Flash was so awesome! Can't wait for a Flash/Arrow crossover this season!
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

Thanks to your brief positive mention of the show Revenge I'm now about half way through season one of Netflix. Soap opera like but still interesting. So far like the twist and turns. Curious to see where the show goes. I see Netflix has the first 3 seasons. I'm assuming the new season is 4. So I got some catching up to do.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I'm glad to see that you all are finding shows you enjoy.

I've watched the first two episodes of Scorpion and enjoyed them. I'm five episodes into Legends and enjoying that one as well. I'm current on Doctor Who. It has been a great season for Clara with her being more the protagonist than the Doctor. It look a few episodes to get used to the new regeneration but I'm finally seeing Peter Capaldi as The Doctor.

I still need to watch the current seasons of Gotham and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. which are next up on the list of what to watch.
spid
Special Reviewer

Post by spid »

I have to recommend people watch Person of Interest. It is the best comic book show that isn't a comic book show ever. The show borrows all the great things comic book fans are used to like deep stories, interesting complex bad guys, and still keeping the done in one formula that kept comic books accessible for many years.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I know this isn't the 2014 season, but SyFy is going to produce an adaptation of the Dark Horse graphic novel Dark Matter.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

fudd71 wrote:
drew102e wrote:in what multiverse is NBC in first place, they haven't been relevant since Seinfeld

Not the Olympics (those were in last season) but not scripted shows either. Sunday football and two evening of the Voice have NBC in a comfortable lead in the network vs. network averages for prime-time since the start of this season (September).
ohhhh, since September I assume CBS will still get total viewers while NBC gets 18-49 like last year, but you never know