DC: Convergence

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

fudd71
Master Reviewer

Re: DC: Convergence

Post by fudd71 »

drew102e wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:
ComicTrekker wrote:...I get a satisfying reading experience just reading a single issue of that title, yet I can't wait to see what happens next.
That is how I think comics should be written. Each issue is worth reading in and of itself and keeps the reader interested enough to want to get the next issue.
I agree but it happens less and less...there reLly is no incentive for a creator like Scott Snyder to write 6 self contained stories / new ideas when he can just take one and expand it a bit to six chapters instead...obviously batman hasn't sold any less and it's pretty good it just goes on a bit too long and doesn't always stick the landing...which makes new batgirl or warren Ellis run on moon knight stand out
I completely agree with Drew in this case. While I personally would want more story per issue or a single story per issue, it is much more work for the creators and we continue to see books that do the exact opposite top the charts.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: DC: Convergence

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:
ComicTrekker wrote:...I get a satisfying reading experience just reading a single issue of that title, yet I can't wait to see what happens next.
That is how I think comics should be written. Each issue is worth reading in and of itself and keeps the reader interested enough to want to get the next issue.
I agree but it happens less and less...there reLly is no incentive for a creator like Scott Snyder to write 6 self contained stories / new ideas when he can just take one and expand it a bit to six chapters instead...obviously batman hasn't sold any less and it's pretty good it just goes on a bit too long and doesn't always stick the landing...which makes new batgirl or warren Ellis run on moon knight stand out
The issues don't have to be self-contained with each issue having a completely new story and idea. Each issue just needs to be worth reading in and of itself and keeps the reader interested enough to want to get the next issue. Really solid and full chapters of an ongoing story can do that. Batgirl is a great example of a multi-issue storyline with very solid single issues.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive