Comic Book TV Shows

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

fudd71
Master Reviewer

Re: Ranking the New & Returning Comic Book Shows

Post by fudd71 »

drew102e wrote:Sam, can the CW bump the 100/reign to midseason and move this up to fall release? or is it set in stone?

Simple answer: Yes networks can do whatever they want whenever they want. I wouldn’t bet on it however.

Complex answer: No network is likely to change the fall schedule after the up front. At this point the fall schedule is what is being sold to advertisers and affiliates. TV is also preoccupied with appearance especially the CW. Look how CW PR systematically removed all the thank you to fan social media posts from stars and producers of Hart of Dixie because they didn’t want it to look like the show had been cancelled even though that was abundantly clear to everyone. Changing the fall schedule now looks bad. The CW also has a CBS problem; the only new CBS show is a Showtime remake. CBS is woefully under represented on the CW schedule. That may be deserved but it is still a problem. Adding a WB show to the fall schedule will not sit well with CBS and CBS affiliates.

Scenario #1 where it could happen:
A show on the fall schedule does terribly and is pulled after only 2-4 episodes. That time slot then goes to DC Legends. Not likely because shows are expensive to produce and we don’t tend to see shows pulled off the air and money spent to produce them simply given away anymore (use to happen all the time). The CW did do it with a summer show just a week or two ago. Cedric’s Barber Battle was pulled after only 2 episodes ran. Not likely but possible

Scenario #2
The CW has affiliate problems and unlike most of the other networks they still have many traditional affiliates even in major markets (many other networks own the local affiliates especially in big markets). If the CW begins losing affiliates or a significant number refuse a certain show or shows. Remember, affiliates don’t have to air the network programing they simply have the right of first refusal. We don’t see it happen much these days, but it wasn’t that long ago affiliates would refuse shows and they would then get shopped to other stations in the market. Anyway, if the CW gets a bit of a mini affiliate revolt, you could see them change the fall schedule. Possible but not likely. Part of this issue is many of the local CW affiliates across the country still have CBS ties. If we see some sort of affiliate revolt it will not be quieted with another WB show.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I cant wait until next midseason dang it
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Here's my ratings:

Daredevil = A- (just tweak the suit)
The Flash = B+
Peggy Carter = B
Agents of SHIELD = B-
Arrow = B-
Gotham = C-
Constantine = D

Not interested
Walking Dead
iZombie

I'd like to add that the Daredevil series on Netflix has set a new standard for superhero-property television shows for me.

drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

my updated rankings:

1. The Flash = A
2. Walking Dead A-
3. Arrow = B+

Incomplete:

4. Daredevil = B+ (only six episodes in, so far so good)
5. iZombie = B (only 3 episodes in-like it)
6. Gotham = C+ (only halfway through season, its okay)
7. Powers = C- (halfway through season, a bit boring)
8. Agents of SHIELD = D (so far not as good as last half of last season)
9. Constantine = D (got bored & gave up)
10. Peggy Carter = (Haven’t seen an episode yet)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:8. Agents of SHIELD = D (so far not as good as last half of last season)
Agreed. This season seemed a bit unfocused.
drew102e wrote:10. Peggy Carter = (Haven’t seen an episode yet)
You should check it out. It was a fun period piece show.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

JohnMayo wrote:
drew102e wrote:10. Peggy Carter = (Haven’t seen an episode yet)
You should check it out. It was a fun period piece show.
Agreed. Worth your time.

Or you could always decide to finally watch an episode of Batman: The Animated Series :D
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote: Or you could always decide to finally watch an episode of Batman: The Animated Series :D
its on the list along with Star Wars Rebels bralinator, someday I will break the seal on watching animation
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Saving it for a few rainy days or sick days then isn't a bad idea I suppose.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

drew102e wrote:
bralinator wrote: Or you could always decide to finally watch an episode of Batman: The Animated Series :D
its on the list along with Star Wars Rebels bralinator, someday I will break the seal on watching animation
I'm in the same boat with Batman the animated series. It seems to be a generational thing, I know many people my age or older that grew up on the old Batman '66 reruns and never got into the animated series. People just slightly younger then me (by a year or two) really got into the animated series and didn't watch the 1966 show as much in syndication. There seems to be a huge divide there and the line seems to be around people that are age 39-41 currently.
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

The Flash - A+++ The finale was phenomenal. The show is perfect in tone, and it knows when to be fun and when to be serious!!

Arrow - B- I love Arrow, but it felt all over the place this season. I liked the last few episodes, so I'm hopeful next season will be even better.

DC's Legends of Tomorrow I thought the trailer was awesome. Great heroes, and then
Rip Hunter!! We could see some obscure DC characters in this show. It has great potential.

Supergirl Okay, I like Supergirl the character alot, but this show seems iffy. The actress they casted seems a little old to me for Supergirl. At 26, I don't know. I know the character in the show is 24. That also seems old to me. I would much rather had like a 19 to 21 year old. Oh well, I hope to like the show. I know Flash will crossover at some point.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

NITPICK ALERT!

Did anyone else notice the scar next to Supergirl's left eyebrow above the bridge of her nose? While I did enjoy the trailer immensely and look forward to checking out the show with my wife and daughter, I have to confess that seeing that little scar (probably from the chicken pox or an acne scar) took me out of the story a couple of times.

I guess she could have gotten it while she was still vulnerable on Krypton, but if I saw a scar on Clark Kent's face, I'd feel the same way. How does a nearly invincible character get a scar? Everything else seemed spot on and fun. One thing that instills confidence in me is that the showrunner is Greg Berlanti who is also the showrunner for “Arrow” and “The Flash,” as well as the upcoming “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow."

Count me as optimistic, but cautious on this one. It's truly a 'golden age' of comic book television...
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

I'm a person who quietly watches movies and shows and always hesitant to make any noise so that not to disrupt other's viewing experience. The Flash finale brought out 3 outloud exclamations of "OH, (bleep)!"
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
1. JAY Garrick's helmet
2. The Flash emerging from the wormhole to hit the Reverse-Flash and destroy the time sphere.
3. Eddie shooting himself.
This show is on level with the quality of Walking Dead; the biggest difference is the tone. Where Dead is dark and disturbing, Flash is upbeat.

The Flash is amazing TV.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:I'm a person who quietly watches movies and shows and always hesitant to make any noise so that not to disrupt other's viewing experience.
Normally, I'm much like that, particularly at a movie theater. But my sister and I have a different viewing experience at my house. My sister sometimes asks questions and even if she doesn't I tend to explain the easter eggs to her anyway.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

looks like its official no Constantine...even on syfy
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/08/co ... -show-over
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote:NITPICK ALERT!
Did anyone else notice the scar next to Supergirl's left eyebrow above the bridge of her nose? While I did enjoy the trailer immensely and look forward to checking out the show with my wife and daughter, I have to confess that seeing that little scar (probably from the chicken pox or an acne scar) took me out of the story a couple of times.
yeah...now I did thanks a lot bralinator :D