Comic Book TV Shows

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

doctormo
Reviewer

Re: Comic Book TV Shows

Post by doctormo »

I enjoyed the season finale of Legends of Tomorrow. I thought it got a bit Doctor Who timey wimey towards the end, but it managed to get me excited about season two. I thought the first season could have been a bit tighter, storywise. I want to show to introduce more female characters.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I am a bit sorry to see Kendra go, but Carter was the weakest character IMO
I loved the ending with Hourman showing up and announcing the existence of the JSA exists in the Berlanti-verse.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

drew wrote:all caught up on Gotham and wow I did not see this coming:
when Penguin blew up Azrael with a bazooka I jumped up and cheered from my couch, what a way to go out Theo Galavan
I had the same reaction - great 2nd season.

I watched the Flash season 2 finale and while I didn't have same reaction to season 2's end as I did to season 1's (uncontrolled excitement), it was still good.
Barry's time remnant sacrifice was a nice twist and revealing the true Jay Garrick was a relief. Jay as a villain is heresy.
Zoom's plan
of destroying the multiverse didn't seem to line up with the rest of the season. Was this his plan all along? At first he wants to steal Flash's power, conquer all the Earths, imprison Caitlyn Snow, get faster...his motivation all season was not clear. I knew in season 1 Reverse Flash wanted to return to the future and that was his goal; Zoom was unfocused.
Doppleganger-of-the-week theme
was the real treat of the season. It was genuinely fun to see out favorite heroes/characters become an Earth 3-ish version - Snow as Killer Frost, Ronnie as Death Storm, Cisco as Reverb, etc.
Time to get caught up with Legends.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:
drew wrote:all caught up on Gotham and wow I did not see this coming:
when Penguin blew up Azrael with a bazooka I jumped up and cheered from my couch, what a way to go out Theo Galavan
I had the same reaction - great 2nd season.

I watched the Flash season 2 finale and while I didn't have same reaction to season 2's end as I did to season 1's (uncontrolled excitement), it was still good.
Barry's time remnant sacrifice was a nice twist and revealing the true Jay Garrick was a relief. Jay as a villain is heresy.
Zoom's plan
of destroying the multiverse didn't seem to line up with the rest of the season. Was this his plan all along? At first he wants to steal Flash's power, conquer all the Earths, imprison Caitlyn Snow, get faster...his motivation all season was not clear. I knew in season 1 Reverse Flash wanted to return to the future and that was his goal; Zoom was unfocused.
Doppleganger-of-the-week theme
was the real treat of the season. It was genuinely fun to see out favorite heroes/characters become an Earth 3-ish version - Snow as Killer Frost, Ronnie as Death Storm, Cisco as Reverb, etc.
Time to get caught up with Legends.

yeah, Flash was fun - i had a few nitpicks with finale
flash didnt even try to stop zoom killing his dad, he just watched / why not just go back in time to save his dad / zoom want to race around in a circle, why not turnaround and run right into him / wally & jesse both got zapped but no powers, missed opportunity / so henry and jesse and earth 3 flash are going back to earth 2? eh

super cool ending though
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Dear Arrow, another good season but enough with the island flashbacks Sincerely, everbody
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

so I finally got around to catching up on a few of the comics shows.

Flash continues to be my favorite comic show on the air. There were things I loved about this season and some truly great moments. That being said I think there were some clunky and confusing for my wife parts as well.
Hopefully the show doesn't get too wibbly wobbly timey wimey and speed force centric and risk losing some of the more casual fans. It isn't there quite yet, but with this seasons ending and Barry undoing essentially his entire timeline it risks getting much worse in a hurry.
Legends of Tomorrow I enjoyed enough but didn't think was super great. The show had a tough premise to sell to a larger audience to begin with, but I think overall did a pretty good job. The last 3 episodes I think did a pretty good job really retooling the show for season 2, question is did it lose fans getting there.
Besides the fairly sci-fi premise of the show, I think this show suffered a lot with very inconsistent acting performances. Also the Vandal Savage plot was unsustainable for multiple seasons. I can't say I'm sorry to see the Hawks go, the actress playing Kendra was awful and actor who played Carter was also terrible but only there for part of the season. I can't tell if it was the writing or the performance but Vandal Savage didn't come across great either. On the bright side I think the actor portraying Jefferson got better as the season went and was really good by the end. Not surprising to anyone Victor Garber and Wentworth Miller were phenomenal while Brandon Routh and Caity Lotz were both very good. I still personally haven't warmed up to Arthur Darvill but that could just be me. I was very sad to see Wentworth Miller go, I will certainly miss both his performance and the Leonard Snart character. I was however very happy to see Rex Tyler show up and suggest the JSA will have a part to play next season. I guess this season just kind of feels like a wash, and I'll have to wait and see what next season brings.
Gotham was great I think a little better then the first season even. For some reason I still think this show suffers from something I can't put my finger on. I and antidotally several people I have talked to about it find it hard to keep current with. When sitting and bingeing multiple episode I love them but can't force myself to watch them regularly. It is that one little thing away from being in contention for my favorite comic show on the air.

iZombie is a show I really liked and most likely number one in my household with my wife and several friends that get together and watch weekly. I think the season wrapped up a major storyline from the very first episode nicely and leaves an interesting starting point for next season, that almost has to change one of the major relationships in the show.
Vaughn finally getting his, it was a great moment and needed, they dragged that out about as long as they could. Once he locked his daughter Gilda into the research room to become a zombie Vaughn's already numbered days were clearly coming to an end. I do however think there might somehow be a place for Gilda in the regular cast moving forward, it would certainly add an interesting dynamic to Liv's regular group. Two things do concern me however, one at the network and one in story. With the CW's hasty decision to renew everything including two shows that were midseason replacements this year and then have CBS foist Supergirl in their lap, plus develop 2 new shows. There are 5 shows that weren't mentioned at the CW upfront, iZombie being one of them. I'm worried this show gets pushed all the way into the summer of 2017 or maybe simply never airs like they did with the final production season of Beauty & the Beast. My in story concern is the ending, the story line of more and more of the world being aware of zombies and them being in places of authority the dynamic is bound to change. The procedural nature of the show with Liv's visions helping out run of the mill murder cases can't last much longer as zombies come to power and possibly take over Seattle as the stated goal at the end of the episode.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

I cannot wait for the return of Dark Matter on July 2nd. It is easy to overlook this 'comic book show' since the series is based on a Dark Horse mini-series.

Season Two Trailer - https://youtu.be/dEj9WfrObuc
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Preacher (just the premiere so far)
think the tulip casting is great, her killing the dude with a ear of corn was pretty great - cassidy accent a little too thick, hard to understand, a little slow but i enjoyed it
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Is anyone else watching Wynonna Earp? A true "comic book show" if there ever was one. I have always enjoyed this Beau Smith creation, but this show is really good. Everything from the story telling to the production value to the acting far exceeds what one would expect to find on SyFy. My wife came in to the room while I was watching the second episode and was instantly hooked, quite an accomplishment considering I remember her making fun of me for reading the original series back in '96. Her close friend also really likes the show and it has replaced Flash & iZombie as the show we get together and watch each week. I would rank it as my second favorite comic book show currently on the air right behind the Flash. If you haven't already I would highly recommend giving it a shot. The 13 episode season is almost over but all episodes are currently available on syfy.com.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Not sure How I feel about this. I know both John and Kay suggested they hoped season 3 would get over the final scenes of season 2 quickly, doesn't look like that will happen.

Flash to do Flash point for season 3
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

drew wrote:Preacher
think the tulip casting is great, her killing the dude with a ear of corn was pretty great - cassidy accent a little too thick, hard to understand, a little slow but i enjoyed it, arseface was an early surprise
this show gets better and better - tons of great acting throughout - its been so long since I read the comic that I cant tell if they are getting it right or wrong...so I just enjoy it for what it is
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

Wynonna Earp was a surprise to me, haven´t heard or read about it before watching the show. Liked it, what comics have been published for it? There was a mini out now (or recently) but if I understand correct its an older property?

Also havent read anything Preacher related but the show is interesting, only 4 eps in but seems like its something to watch.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

NiklasJ wrote:Wynonna Earp was a surprise to me, haven´t heard or read about it before watching the show. Liked it, what comics have been published for it? There was a mini out now (or recently) but if I understand correct its an older property?
Yes it is an older character created and written by Beau Smith. However a character/series that was published very slowly in mini-series form over the years. The original black& white mini-series that was much more Men In Black then the current version of the character is from late 96-early 97. Then Home on the Strange late 2003-2004 much more like the current character and then Yeti Wars from summer 2011. There is/was a complete collection of that material Wynonna Earp Strange Inheritance available from InStock Trades for $20.99 or digitally from from Comixoly for $14.99. That volume also has an additional story Blood in the Harvest from the IDW anthology series Tales of Terror. The current series is currently on issue #5 of 6.
victorvondoom
Reviewer

Post by victorvondoom »

drew wrote:
drew wrote:Preacher
think the tulip casting is great, her killing the dude with a ear of corn was pretty great - cassidy accent a little too thick, hard to understand, a little slow but i enjoyed it, arseface was an early surprise
this show gets better and better - tons of great acting throughout - its been so long since I read the comic that I cant tell if they are getting it right or wrong...so I just enjoy it for what it is
Preacher the book was great. The show has veered quite a bit already from where the comic went but I have enjoyed it much more than I expected. Very happy with what they are doing.