Comic Book TV Shows

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Comic Book TV Shows

Post by drew »

Hopefully everyone has seen enough of the new season to weigh in, here is my take on the new and returning slates:

Ranking the Returning Shows:
1.Walking Dead-Apples and Oranges but its not even close, the best of the bunch
2. Arrow-keeps improving, really like it
3. Agents of SHIELD-rebounded from a horrible first half of season 1

Ranking the New Shows:
1. Flash-really fun show
2. Gotham-inconsistent but some great moments
Last. Constantine-terrible...they really missed the mark here, it may have been canceled by this post

How would you rank the new and returning comic-based shows?
Last edited by drew on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Ranking the New & Returning Comic Book Shows

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:Hopefully everyone has seen enough of the new season to weigh in, here is my take on the new and returning slates:

Ranking the Returning Shows:
1.Walking Dead-Apples and Oranges but its not even close, the best of the bunch
2. Arrow-keeps improving, really like it
3. Agents of SHIELD-rebounded from a horrible first half of season 1

Ranking the New Shows:
1. Flash-really fun show
2. Gotham-inconsistent but some great moments
Last. Constantine-terrible...they really missed the mark here, it may have been canceled by this post

How would you rank the new and returning comic-based shows?
I'm not watching Walking Dead so I can't judge it.

Flash is probably my favorite comic book show on this season. It is faithful to the comics and a lot of fun.

Arrow is s close second. It keeps getting better and better. I'm really looking forward to getting to finally see a character they've been teasing for a while.

Gotham continues to impress me. We are seeing some characters I wasn't expecting and I think the casting was very well done. I'm curious what they think the series arc is beyond introducing the characters before they became who they become.

I think Agents of SHIELD has picked up from the beginning of the first season but still has room for improvement.

I haven't watched Constantine yet so I can't judge it either.

When does iZombie start up?
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

When does iZombie start up?
last i heard it was midseason replacement so i guess Jan/Feb-ish
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I am simply loving the Flash, it is my favorite by a mile.

Arrow I like a lot, but I'm not loving like the Flash. I'm really looking forward to this week's crossover between the two.

Agents of SHEILD I thought got consistently better all first season but I didn't come back for season two

Walking Dead, again I enjoyed season 1 but didn't come back for season 2

Gotham I really want to like but it is a long way from being really good, I find myself letting episodes pile up on the DVR and looking for an excuse to watch anything else. I think I have only seen the first 3 or 4.

Constantine is awful!!!! and is cancelled as far as NBC is concerned (I don't care how anyone spins it). They will most likely air the remaining episodes but after that NBC is done. However with the success of Arrow, Flash and the upcoming movies the show may come back with some revamps somewhere, either on the CW or a cable channel.

iZombie got a 13 episode order and (along with the Messengers and Beauty and the Beast) were held for mid season by the CW. With the ratings of Reign, the 100 and Jane the Virgin the CW will be glad to have something else to air. CW has yet to release an official winter schedule.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Walking Dead, again I enjoyed season 1 but didn't come back for season 2
schedule some quality binge-time fudd, skip the first half of season 2 and maybe the second half of season 3...no, on second thought skip both seasons and just jump right to season 4
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:skip the first half of season 2 and maybe the second half of season 3...no, on second thought skip both seasons and just jump right to season 4
And this is the show you thought was the "best of the bunch," right? Skipping two seasons isn't exactly a glowing recommendation.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Walking Dead & Agents of SHEILD:

The good news: they are on my "I want to watch that show and it's in my Netflix queue list, I'll get around to them soon list"

The bad news: there are close to 100 shows on that list and I think I have actually gotten around to watching only 2 or 3 in the last 5 years.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

It sounds like you need to watch less sports in order to watch more television shows which sounds like a first world kind of problem... :lol:
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JohnMayo wrote:And this is the show you thought was the "best of the bunch," right? Skipping two seasons isn't exactly a glowing recommendation.
well, that was just me being facetious, it is still the best one to me, there are fantastic episodes in each season, but yeah, there are a few clunkers too

it is tough to compare a show with 5 seasons against one with 5 episodes

WD is the ONLY one of the six (and at all) that i watch live when it airs, the rest i DVR to watch when time allows, so that means its something special in my book and elevates it above Arrow for me
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:WD is the ONLY one of the six (and at all) that i watch live when it airs, the rest i DVR to watch when time allows, so that means its something special in my book and elevates it above Arrow for me
That makes sense. Personally, I watch nothing live as it airs. I watch very few commercials thanks to DVR technology.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

drew102e wrote:I watch very few commercials thanks to DVR technology.
Full Disclosure: i actually dont start the episode until 10 minutes in so i can zip through the ads, but its the closest i get to live TV besides football
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Flash works as a great all-around show. The actor that plays Joe West, Jessie Martin, is the lynchpin to its success. Even though he does not fit the typical CW actor, young and beautiful, he brings the father/mentor and creates the chemistry that elevates the Flash from another comic story to an interesting drama.

As good as the Flash has been, it is not yet at the Walking Dead level. WD is one gut punch after another and I will come back for more.

Gotham is growing on me.

Even though I don't watch SHIELD, my wife does and she says it's really good.
JohnMayo wrote:It sounds like you need to watch less sports in order to watch more television shows which sounds like a first world kind of problem.
Same problem with me but with college football winding down, it's time to clean off the DVR.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:Flash works as a great all-around show. The actor that plays Joe West, Jessie Martin, is the lynchpin to its success. Even though he does not fit the typical CW actor, young and beautiful, he brings the father/mentor and creates the chemistry that elevates the Flash from another comic story to an interesting drama.
I agree. The character was set up to be pivotal in Barry;s live in multiple ways and the actor is going a terrific job. Between the two it brings the show together in a very interesting way.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Over the new year I caught up on the Gotham episodes I have been stockpiling. Turns out I had only watched the pilot and never went back to it. I find that I really enjoy Gotham but think I better understand why I procrastinated on it. My feelings on Gotham in many ways mirror my feeling about and complaints on modern decompressed comic story telling. Overall I really like Gotham and think the show has done a masterful job revealing the nature of the city itself. Overall I'm really interested in the city of Gotham and the characters that inhabit it. However that was built over time and the totality of all 11 episodes I have watched to this point. I can't point to any particular episode I thought was a real highlight. Maybe episode ten being the fall finale, but the climax of that episode was only achieved by everything that had happened up to that point. It is still not a show that I feel like I'm waiting on the edge of my seat for the next episode, but I will enjoy the overall arcs as they play out. I may continue to stock pile these shows and watch them in large chucks occasionally, they seem to flow better that way. Almost like they read (watch) better in the trade.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

The CW finally set their midseason schedule today. Arrow will return a week before other CW shows with a midseason premier on 3/11. The Flash will return on 3/17 with iZombie getting the best possible spot the network has following the Flash and also premiering on 3/17.