Previews Spotlight #087 (Jan->Mar) Deadline: Sat AM, Jan 10

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #087 (Jan->Mar) Deadline: Sat AM, Jan 10

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, December 31st. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, January 10th.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread with the full title and issue number. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

A couple of quick things that help out a lot in the organizing and producing of the episode:

Please featured item in a separate audio file. Exceptions can be made but the episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

If possible, please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p###-: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
M###-: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.
Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools we use to prep the clips for the episode handle spaces in filenames gracefully.

If it is something not in Previews (like The Private Eye), use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.

So, essentially, it use this:
p000-[M000-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p000-: placeholder for the page number in Previews
M###-: placeholder for the page number in Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is. The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

At the very least, please include the full name of the item in the filename so it can be properly listed in the show notes. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for me to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.

Dark Horse: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=57719
DC: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=57803
IDW: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=57845
Image: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=57812
Marvel: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=57818
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #087 (Jan->Mar) Deadline: Sat AM, Jan

Post by bralinator »

My picks for this month are:

Neverboy #1 (Dark Horse)
Convergence #0 (DC)
Chrononauts #1 (Image)
Descender #1 (Image)
Fantastic Four #644 (Marvel)
All-New Hawkeye #1 (Marvel)
Bill and Ted’s Most Triumphant Return #1 (Boom!)
Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Empire Vol. 1 TPB (Marvel (darkhorse))
Fly Outbreak #1 (IDW)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the ComicBookPage picks of the month:

DARK HORSE

PastAways #1
Matt Kindt (W/Variant cover), Scott Kolins (A/Cover), and Bill Crabtree (C)
On sale Mar 25
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing
2015: the distant past. A crash landing strands five deep-time explorers in a primitive world of internal-combustion engines and Internet 1.0 and tears a rift in space-time that spouts dinosaurs, giant robots, and other strange phenomena! Only the marooned “PastAways” can defend the twenty-first century, unless the tensions of their unexpectedly prolonged mission tear them apart!
• Career-best art from fan favorite Scott Kolins (The Flash)!
• Don’t miss the prologue in Dark Horse Presents #6!
TRAPPED IN PREHISTORY—A.K.A. OUR PRESENT!

DESCENDER #1
STORY: JEFF LEMIRE
ART / COVER: DUSTIN NGUYEN
MARCH 4 / 40 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99
One young robot's struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet.
A rip-roaring and heart-felt cosmic odyssey that pits humanity against machine, and world against world, to create a sprawling space opera from the creators of Trillium, Sweet Tooth, and Little Gotham.
Extra-sized first issue. 30 story pages for only $2.99!

RED ONE #1
STORY: XAVIER DORISON
ART / COVER: TERRY DODSON & RACHEL DODSON
MARCH 18 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99
What happens when America's greatest hero...is a Russian Spy?
Soviet Agent Vera Yelnikov is sent to 1977 Los Angeles by the Kremlin to become an American Superhero and spread communist values in the land of Uncle Sam in a funky superhero romp straight out of a Tarantino film by TERRY & RACHEL DODSON (Uncanny X-Men, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Harley Quinn) and XAVIER DORISON (Long John Silver, The Third Testament).

MARVEL

PRINCESS LEIA #1 (of 5)
MARK WAID (w) • TERRY DODSON (a/C)
ISSUE #1 - Teaser Variant COVER by JOHN CASSADAY
CONNECTING VARIANT COVER C BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
VARIANT COVER BY MARK BROOKS
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
VARIANT COVER BY BILL SIENKIEWICZ
MOVIE VARIANT COVER
BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
• When Princess Leia Organa was captured by the Empire as a Rebel spy, she never betrayed her convictions, even in the face of the complete destruction of her home world, Alderaan. When her rescue came, she grabbed a blaster and joined the fight, escaping back to the Rebel Alliance and helping strike the biggest blow against the Empire—the destruction of the Death Star. But in the aftermath of that victory, the question remains...what is a princess without a world?
• Writer Mark Waid (Daredevil, S.H.I.E.L.D.) and artist Terry Dodson (Avengers & X-Men: Axis, Uncanny X-Men) bring us a story of Leia’s quest to help her people and find her place in the galaxy.
32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T …$3.99 (EACH)

S.H.I.E.L.D. #4
MARK WAID (W) • CHRIS SPROUSE (A)
Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO
WOMEN OF MARVEL VARIANT COVER BY COLLEEN DORAN
• For years, SHIELD’s most secret agent has been Sue Richards, the Invisible Woman! None of the other Fantastic Four is aware of her connection to the world’s premier spy agency, but it’s time they learned – because this is her last case!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

OTHER PUBLISHERS

BOOM! STUDIOS

THE CON JOB #1
(W) Jimmy Palmiotti, Matt Brady (A) Dominike "Domo" Stanton
(CA) A: Amanda Conner (99%), B: Jay Shaw (1%, Jackpot Variant)
WHY WE LOVE IT: Comics veteran Jimmy Palmiotti (Harley Quinn) is a master at crafting humorous, snarky comics, and for The Con Job he’s teamed up with longtime comics journalist­turned­writer Matt Brady (Buck Rogers) and artist Dominike “Domo” Stanton (Deadpool) for a unique heist story. They’ve put the “con” back in comic conventions.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: In the mood for a character­driven, comic book convention crime caper? Palmiotti and Brady have crafted a Galaxy Quest meets Ocean’s 11­style crime story set in the larger­than­life backdrop of the modern convention circuit. You thought cons couldn't get any bigger? You have no idea.
WHAT IT’S ABOUT: After working the same convention circuit for many years, a group of flabby action heroes, aging sex symbols, and sci­fi bit players have become close friends as they watch their lines get shorter and their autographs get cheaper. That is, until they hire a cocky new booking agent who offers them their only chance at a comfortable retirement by robbing one of the largest cons in the country!
32pgs, FC (1 of 4) $3.99

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: BLACKCROSS #1 (OF 6)
(W) Warren Ellis (A) Colton Worley
(CA) Jae Lee, Tula Lotay, Declan Shalvey
All small towns have secrets. All small towns have ghosts. Blackcross, in the Pacific North West of America, has more secrets than most. And it is being haunted by something impossible. BLACKCROSS, a supernatural extension of the PROJECT SUPERPOWERS mythos, is a ghost story about something reaching out from the other side of the night, through the forest and mist of this remote town, to grasp at the hearts of a handful of people who may not find out that they're the targets of a strange killer until it's much, much too late.
COVER A: LEE—32pgs, FC (1 of 6) $3.99
COVER B: LOTAY—32pgs, FC (1 of 6) $3.99
COVER C: SHALVEY—32pgs, FC (1 of 6) $3.99

TITAN COMICS

DOCTOR WHO: THE NINTH DOCTOR #1
(W) Cavan Scott (A) Blair Shedd (CA) Alice X Zhang
The ninth Doctor is back with a brand-new miniseries: Weapons of Past Destruction! Leaving World War II behind, the Doctor, Rose, and Captain Jack discover that Time Lord technology, lost in the wake of the Time War, is being sold on the intergalactic black market! Now the threat of a new temporal war brews on the horizon. Can the Doctor stop history repeating itself? (STK664624)
REGULAR COVER—32pgs, FC (1 of 5) $3.99
SUBSCRIPTION PHOTO COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99

VALIANT COMICS

NINJAK #1
(W) Matt Kindt (A) Clay Mann, Butch Guice
(CA) Lewis Larosa, Clay Mann, Dave Johnson, Marguerite Sauvage
For the first time, Ninjak’s past and future collide in the pages of an all-new ongoing series from New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (RAI, Mind MGMT) and superstar artists Clay Mann (X-Men: Legacy, Gambit) and Butch Guice (Captain America, Action Comics)!
Then: Meet inexperienced MI-6 recruit Colin King on his first mission in the field as he learns the basics of spycraft and counterintelligence, and develops a volatile relationship with his first handler.
Now: Colin King is Ninjak, the world’s foremost intelligence operative, weapons expert, and master assassin. And he’s hunting the Shadow Seven – a secret cabal of shinobi masters with mysterious ties to his training and tragic past.
40pgs, FC $3.99
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

FYI, the DCBS Order form for January 2015 has been posted.
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

p068- Apocalypticgirl - An Aria for the end Times TP
p069- Grendel vs The Shadow HC
p151- Astro City TP Reprints
p187- Godzilla Cataclysm TP
p208- Invisible Republic #1
p226- Sexcastle OGN
p286- Ballistic Volume 1 TP
p303- Giant Days #1
p361- Wasteland #60

Good stuff this month :)
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

p.212 Big Man Plans #1
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Moon Knight #13
DC Variants Covers
Batman Eternal #52
B!tch Planet #4
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

John,

You make it sound like Matt Kindt is new to you but he is not. I sort of know what you read because you buy about as many comics as I do. I bet you read the

Valiant
He wrote every issue of Rai, Unity, The Valiant. Also Bloodshot #0
wrote:

Adventures of Supeman 2nd Series #3
Detective Comics 23.2
EArth 2 15.2
Forever Evil Argus
Frankenstein Agent of Shade 10-16 and 0
Green Lantern 23.4
Justice League of America (3rd Series) 2-5, 7.1, 8-14
Men of War #8
My Greatest Adventure (2nd Series) 1-5 with Scott Kolins by the way
Suicide Squad (3rd Series) 24-29

Marvel:
Infinity The Hunt 1-4
Infinity The Awakening 1-2
Marvel Knights Spider-man 1-5

Dark Horse:
Star Wars Rebel Heist 1-4
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

comicm wrote:John,

You make it sound like Matt Kindt is new to you but he is not. I sort of know what you read because you buy about as many comics as I do. I bet you read the

Valiant
He wrote every issue of Rai, Unity, The Valiant. Also Bloodshot #0
wrote:

Adventures of Supeman 2nd Series #3
Detective Comics 23.2
EArth 2 15.2
Forever Evil Argus
Frankenstein Agent of Shade 10-16 and 0
Green Lantern 23.4
Justice League of America (3rd Series) 2-5, 7.1, 8-14
Men of War #8
My Greatest Adventure (2nd Series) 1-5 with Scott Kolins by the way
Suicide Squad (3rd Series) 24-29

Marvel:
Infinity The Hunt 1-4
Infinity The Awakening 1-2
Marvel Knights Spider-man 1-5

Dark Horse:
Star Wars Rebel Heist 1-4
Wow. :shock:

That is a *lot* more of his stuff than I realized. I've read everything on that list. Thanks for pointing that out.

Normally when I hear Matt Kindt it is in reference to Mind Mgmt which I don't read.

I really need to get better about tracking the creators I follow. I've got plans to beef up my inventory and weekly rating tracking systems to do that but I haven't had time to crank out the code for that yet.