Best of 2014 Year-End Episode

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

fudd71
Master Reviewer

Re: Best of 2014 Year-End Episode

Post by fudd71 »

drew102e wrote:Questions for Next Year's Yearly Comic Spotlight:

Add new categories?:
Best Cover Art or artist
Book Most Needing a Reboot/Relaunch/Retool
Comic Wildcard (something positive that stood out but doesn't fit elsewhere)

Other?

Keep or Remove these categories?:
Best Comic Related Website
Best Comic Podcast

Other?
I would love to see the cover artist category. There are so many great artists (Hughes, Ross, Campbell, Cassaday) that will occasionally do interiors but mostly do covers. Makes it hard to pick them as favorite artist in any existing category but they clearly make a large impact on comics.

Along the lines of cover artist, I also think a spot for inkers (I know there aren't that many left) and colorist would be a good idea. They each can have a very large impact on the books we read.

I also think the Wild Card (honorable mention) is a great idea.

I would also be in favor of Comics Podcast being removed. It is a tough category and one hates to not say Comic Book Page to John and Drew that do so much hard work. Compound that with the fact that one co-host and a regular contributor are also hosts of their own podcasts. Without blind ballots it just makes it a category that one is uncomfortable voting for, not wanting to offend anyone or appear unappreciative of the work John and Drew do.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

fudd71 wrote:I would love to see the cover artist category. There are so many great artists (Hughes, Ross, Campbell, Cassaday) that will occasionally do interiors but mostly do covers. Makes it hard to pick them as favorite artist in any existing category but they clearly make a large impact on comics.

Along the lines of cover artist, I also think a spot for inkers (I know there aren't that many left) and colorist would be a good idea. They each can have a very large impact on the books we read..
For Cover Artist - one Per Publisher or Overall?

I could see Colorist in each...but maybe not...inker would be tough I would probably lean towards the artist who inks his own pencils and or goes straight to ink digitally
fudd71 wrote:I also think the Wild Card
johnmayo wrote:(honorable mention)
is a great idea..
you thinking One Per Publisher or Overall? I am leaning to just the one here...
fudd71 wrote:I would also be in favor of Comics Podcast being removed
I think you are correct for all the reasons stated
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

In general I think for all the categories I suggested here one overall is perfect.

drew102e wrote: For Cover Artist - one Per Publisher or Overall?
Cover artists while they may have a company that they work with a lot tend to be available to anyone willing to pay the price. Even with the list of cover artist super stars I listed, they all do work from the big 2 to companies in the back half of Previews.
drew102e wrote:
fudd71 wrote: Along the lines of cover artist, I also think a spot for inkers (I know there aren't that many left) and colorist would be a good idea. They each can have a very large impact on the books we read..
I could see Colorist in each...but maybe not...inker would be tough I would probably lean towards the artist who inks his own pencils and or goes straight to ink digitally
Again many inkers and colorists work with many publishers, or always work with certain pencilers wherever they happen to be working (Like Klaus Janson doing a DC book for the first time in quite a while when John Romita Jr. came over). One overall in both categories would be good.
drew102e wrote:
fudd71 wrote:I also think the Wild Card
johnmayo wrote:(honorable mention)
is a great idea..
you thinking One Per Publisher or Overall? I am leaning to just the one here...
I'm with you, one overall for something one couldn't find room put in any other category.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I was thinking an honorable mention per publisher but can go either way.

For Cover Artist, I could go either per publisher and/or overall. Overall probably makes more sense give any publisher can get any cover artist these days if they are willing to pay the price.

Removing the podcast category also makes sense.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

I'm behind on listening to the podcast, so I just got to the year end episode now and I was dismayed (not really...but you know...) to hear such a small showing for Marvel on the forums, so I'm here to give my very delayed list!

DC:
Series – Aquaman,
New Series - Aquaman and the Others
Single Issue- Justice League #30 (Lex joining the team)
Story Arc/MiniSeries- Aquaman/Swamp Thing crossover in Aquaman #31 and Swamp Thing #32
Writer - Geoff Johns (for JL)
Artist –N/A
Rising Star –N/A
Book we wish more people read-N/A

Marvel:
Series – The Amazing Spider-Man
New Series - The Amazing Spider-Man (but for the sake of variety I’ll throw Magneto in there as second)
Single Issue- Superior Spider-Man #32 (He’s back!)
Story Arc/MiniSeries- Original Sin (Deadpool: The Gauntlet would be my number two)
Writer – Dan Slott (for both Spider-Men series and Silver Surfer)
Artist – Mitch Gerads for Punisher (or Declan Shalvey for Moon Knight, or Mike Allred for Silver Surfer , or Skottie Young for Rocket Raccoon, or…)
Rising Star - Felipe Smith (for All-New Ghost Rider)
Book we wish more people read- Avengers Undercover and Superior Foes of Spider-Man

I don’t read much outside of the big two, so I’ll just do favorite series.*
Image:
Series – Lazarus

*Ditto.
Other Publishers:
Story Arc/MiniSeries: The Wake
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

DNArington wrote:Writer – Dan Slott (for both Spider-Men series and Silver Surfer)
I completely agree in terms of Spider-Man.

I can't agree with the current Silver Surfer series. The title reads way too much like Doctor Who and flies in the face of a lot of past Silver Surfer mythos. How/Why is his board suddenly sentient? Why does a loner like the Surfer suddenly need a companion. The stories are fine but they don't feel like Silver Surfer stories so much a Doctor Who stories. Obviously the series is working much better for you which is great.
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

JohnMayo wrote: I can't agree with the current Silver Surfer series. The title reads way too much like Doctor Who and flies in the face of a lot of past Silver Surfer mythos. How/Why is his board suddenly sentient? Why does a loner like the Surfer suddenly need a companion. The stories are fine but they don't feel like Silver Surfer stories so much a Doctor Who stories. Obviously the series is working much better for you which is great.

It did take a couple issues for me to get used to it being so similar to Doctor Who and there are some oddities like the board, but I kinda' decided to take this as a different version of the same character and I am now thoroughly enjoying this take on him.
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

DNArington wrote:It did take a couple issues for me to get used to it being so similar to Doctor Who and there are some oddities like the board, but I kinda' decided to take this as a different version of the same character and I am now thoroughly enjoying this take on him.
I really like the series, but still haven't watched the new doctor who and have only read a handful of the silver surfer as galactus herald comics of the past, so if I had that history - or baggage :) it might influence my opinion
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

DNArington wrote:It did take a couple issues for me to get used to it being so similar to Doctor Who and there are some oddities like the board, but I kinda' decided to take this as a different version of the same character and I am now thoroughly enjoying this take on him.
Fair enough. They are fun stories and as long as you are enjoying it, that is what really matters.