Fantastic Four

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

the1captain
Reviewer

Fantastic Four

Post by the1captain »

On the most recent spotlight the latest issue of Fantastic four was discussed. Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying it. Here's the thing. For over 25 years of comic reading I maybe have read 4 FF comics. They were just characters that never interested me. The only reason I started reading the current series was because a friend was generous enough to send me his digital codes.

So since I like this run I decided to check out past FF. I heard high praise for the Hickman run so I checked it out. And LOVED IT! Then I went back further and LOVED THAT TOO! So in the last month I must have read well over 100 issues of past Fantastic Four and related series.

It's nice that after so long following comics to still find a mainstream property that can surprise me like this. And the best part is I have a lot of material to track down if I want.
comicm
Master Reviewer

Re: Fantastic Four

Post by comicm »

I am also loving this title. James Robinson is excellent with using comic book history and continuity to make a wonderful story. The art is also consistently fantastic. My favorite Marvel book and a lot of times it is a 5/5 for me.
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Fantastic Four was only of the earliest Marvel titles to get onto my reading list. This was back when John Byrne was doing it. The title has had some ups and downs but it is always been a fun read. I like the family aspect of the title/team. If Marvel does put the title on hiatus for a while, I hope they come up with some other title with a similar sense of family to it at least until the Fantastic Four title returns.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

Post by clobberin_time_bs »

This volume just came to an end and I'd classify it as a good run (but not quite making the great grade). The master vilian was a little disappointing but the use of all the old characters throughout was a lot of fun.

There are a lot of conspiracy theories as to why this title is ending but C.B. Cebulski (sp?) has confirmed that Fantastic Four will be back after Secret Wars, so I'm looking forward to that.

If you want some good, recent Fantastic Four runs, pick up the Hickman or Waid runs, both I thought were excellent.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

Are they really planning on leaving the FF on the shelf long? I suspect we will not go more than 3 months w/o an FF on the stands.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I wouldn't be surprised if the FF is back immediately after Secret Wars. It also wouldn't surprise me if such an FF title features the Future Foundation instead of the Fantastic Four. Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny will be around but I've gotten the impression that corporate politics are at play here which could prevent an actual Fantastic Four title for a while. Don't forget, Marvel didn't have a Thor title for about two years at one point so this sort of thing has happened before at Marvel.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

JohnMayo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the FF is back immediately after Secret Wars. It also wouldn't surprise me if such an FF title features the Future Foundation instead of the Fantastic Four. Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny will be around but I've gotten the impression that corporate politics are at play here which could prevent an actual Fantastic Four title for a while. Don't forget, Marvel didn't have a Thor title for about two years at one point so this sort of thing has happened before at Marvel.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... x-men.html
Here's a good article summarizing all that has happened that points towards Marvel putting Fantastic Four in the dog house. I find it really interesting that all the bad news stories the new movie is getting is all anonymous. I know message boards aren't overly kind to the new movie but if all the news about Trank the director is false it makes me very suspicious where it is coming from.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Is it mean spirited for me to admit this is the first "trailer" for the upcoming film that didn't turn me off from the movie?

http://youtu.be/vBZm59pa3K0
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

bralinator wrote:Is it mean spirited for me to admit this is the first "trailer" for the upcoming film that didn't turn me off from the movie?

http://youtu.be/vBZm59pa3K0
I know you're being tongue in cheek here, but that trailer made me groan out loud when they got to "Steve?".