Should we switch to a letter grade rating scale?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Should we switch to a letter grade rating scale?

Post by JohnMayo »

During 2014, I rated everything on my comic book pull list. This gave me a wealth of data from which to do my year end review. Having gone through that process, I realized a few things.

First, I read a *LOT* of comics. This wasn't a surprise or a problem but does make doing a year end wrap up challenging.

Second, I need to track creators better. I found it difficult to know/remember what all of the writers and artists I've enjoyed over the year had done. I'm working on a solution for that.

Third, I rarely give out a "5 out of 5" rating. My feelings on this are that it is the top rating an should be reserved for the top books. Essentially, I reserve the rating for the best of the best which leaves out exceptional but not near perfect comics. I didn't give out any 1 ratings in 2014 and not all that many 2 ratings. This is a reflection of picking comics to review from what I normally read.

What ends up happening is the overwhelming majority of my ratings are either a 3 or a 4. This isn't a problem in and of itself but it does result in yearly averages with less granularity than would be helpful when preparing for the Yearly comics Spotlight.

Drew and I have had some discussions around this and we are considering switching to a letter grade scale. I did some research on Wikipedia on letter grading and came up with the following scale (with comparisons to the existing scale).

I don't think the D+ and D- ratings are needed or would be used often, if ever.

This is just something we are considering but with the start of a new year, it would be a convenient time to make such as switch.

I'd really appreciate everybody's thoughts on this.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Re: Should we switch to a letter grade rating scale?

Post by fudd71 »

As a listener I have very little problem with the current system. It is understandable and works great!

It does however lead to the obvious problem you encountered distinguishing between gradations when your looking at a larger list. The letter grade system would work but for computing purposes isn't nearly as handy as numbers (you would need to convert it to some sort of number anyway). Would you consider a 1-10 system for the coming year (or some period of time) and see if you get the level of distinction you need. If not you could go to a 1-15 system (essentially what the letter system is) or 1-20 system (might be easier then 1-15). At that point if it still isn't enough gradation 1-50 or 1-100 could be used.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

The numeric value we'd use for the letter grade is the 5 Star Equivalent column in the chart above.

I don't think a 50 or 100 point scale is needed but I could see going with a 50 point scale that is essentially a 0.0 to 5.0 scale. That isn't all that different from the letter grade scale if you round .25 down to .2 and .75 up to .8.

I want something which is intuitive and easy to understand as well as being simple to use. If I'm going to rate everything I read (which did help in preparing for the Yearly Comics Spotlight), I need something which doesn't require much deep thought.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

I think the letter grade may be better than saying a "high 4" or a "low 3." Although methods both are essentially saying the same thing. I could go either way with it but I'm leaning to the letter grade system.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

one thing i missed..."D - a few problems but still worth reading" seems like more of a C or average comic to me

D would be used more for "poorly executed comic"...just my opinion...
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew102e wrote:one thing i missed..."D - a few problems but still worth reading" seems like more of a C or average comic to me

D would be used more for "poorly executed comic"...just my opinion...
The Previous Description comics would go away in favor of the Description column. (I should have been more clear about that.) So a D would be an issue which is clearly below average. The "few problems but still worth reading" description would just go away.

To me, the D+/D/D- range is for comics that have noticeable flaws and/or issues that I actively and noticeable lose interest in reading (because of the story) before I finish the comic.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

okay, that sounds spot on, we are on the same page
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

A letter grading system would work. Adding pluses and minuses makes sense for your reviews. I would say avoid D +/-; once a book is in that range, does anyone really care? A bad book is a bad book with or without a plus after it.
ThomasMartin
Passerby

Post by ThomasMartin »

I would be in favor of a letter grading system with +'s and -'s. It gives more room to qualify your critique of the book. It's a little jarring to listen to a lengthy critique and have you ultimately give the comic a 4.

Also, if I may make one other suggestion, can I ask you to consider giving the book's premise or a short summary and creator info at the beginning of each review? I've been listening for a about 6 months and it seems that, most of the time, the two of you just jump straight into the review and don't always give the basic info for those of us that may be unfamiliar with the title. The creative team in particular is a huge factor in my decision to pick up a book or not.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

ThomasMartin wrote:... consider giving the book's premise or a short summary and creator info at the beginning of each review...
That is great feedback. I'll probably accidentally butcher a few creator names and sometimes summing up the premise of a series can be challenging but both are worth doing.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Drew and I recorded Weekly Comics Spotlight #387 last night. We are trying out the letter grading system and trying to be better about mentioning creators and the premise of the series. Please give us feedback on how those changes are working for you guys.
ThomasMartin
Passerby

Post by ThomasMartin »

I just listened to the latest show, and appreciate your implementing my suggestion.

However, just to clarify, when I suggested giving the basic premise I was thinking, for the most part, about series in the "Other" category and brand new comics and concepts. I don't think for A-list, marquee Marvel and DC characters, like Green Lantern in the last show, that you need to give the basic premise for the series, maybe just a status quo update to give context for people that are not currently reading it.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

ThomasMartin wrote:However, just to clarify, when I suggested giving the basic premise I was thinking, for the most part, about series in the "Other" category and brand new comics and concepts. I don't think for A-list, marquee Marvel and DC characters, like Green Lantern in the last show, that you need to give the basic premise for the series, maybe just a status quo update to give context for people that are not currently reading it.
That makes sense. If it is a Vertigo or outside the mainstream of DC/Marvel titles, giving the premise makes sense. But, you're right, for things like Batman, Green Lantern and other properties which are widely known through movies and television shows it should be safe to expect most listeners to know about the properties. And, if someone has questions we do have the forum here for those questions to be asked.