DC Is Ending The New 52

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Re: DC Is Ending The New 52

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Justice League Dark is becoming Dark Universe to align with the Guillermo Del Toro's movie about those characters.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I figured either that was the replacement title or possible Mystic U.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Batman and...wasn't on the list was it?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

No, presumably it is being replaced by We Are Robin.
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

The list seemed to be missing Robin: Son of Batman written & art by Patrick Gleason.

Over/Under on seeing a number #13 ever published:
--Over: Batman Beyond, Constantine:The Hellblazer, Cyborg, Earth 2: Society, Martian Manhunter, Starfire
--Under: BlackCanary, Dark Universe, Green Latern: Lost Army, Doomed, Dr Fate, JLA, JL3001, Midnighter, Mystic U, Omega Men, Prez, Arsenal, Robin: SoB, We Are Robin

I betting Robin:SoB doesn't make it because something will change in continuity to bring back the B&R title. Dark U, Dr Fate & Mystic U don't make it 'cause the "Dark" part of the DCU just has a hard time selling. They won't give up on Constantine, just yet. The rest don't make it due to lack of interest. Those are my thoughts.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I would hope that after the last barrage of cancellations that DC has a much longer leash on the post convergence slate and gives them ample time to find an audience
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

"It needs time to find its audience"

This is always an interesting comment, I hear it from people talking about television shows all the time too. Both mediums are essentially episodic story telling. While there are occasional up turns in television rating, rarely after the first 4 episodes have aired and almost never after a first season unless the first season was doing very well anyway (things do occasionally go from big hits to massive hits in their 2-4 season, but those were never any danger of being cancelled anyway). And there are even fewer sales increases in comics after a first issue, John and I seemingly have a new example of this every month doing to Mayo Report. And both television and comic people always say the same thing "What about Seinfeld/Walking Dead?**" (respectively). It has been 26/12 years since this only example in both media. While giving a property time to "find and audience" sound logical and like a nice idea there is not an example of this having worked in over a decade and even going back further there are very (ridiculously) few examples of this strategy having ever worked.

I have this impulse too, "give it time to grow", "let it find its audience", "everyone I know loves it", "people are do stupid to get it", "If it only had more time", "the people in marketing are idiots", "the network/editors keep messing with it".

But the truth when these things are given time they still fail the vast majority of the time. So much so that the one or two outliers are then pointed too for decades to come like that success can simply be repeated at will with the always popular "more time". I guess I'm just too pragmatic to think that allowing something to fail for a longer period of time will somehow breed success instead of continued failure.

**looking at the numbers Seinfeld didn't have a particularly bad rating for the first season, they were borderline successful, they were however not up to the NBC Thursday night standards having previously been set by things like Cosby Show and Cheers. People tend to remember Seinfeld's first season as a much big failure then the number actually show.

**Walking Dead while a low selling book early began to show signs of life almost immediately by showing consistent sales and even minor growth, it was just at a very low starting point. But almost from the very start is showed it wasn't going to just follow the normal pattern of losing 2-3% of its sales every month.

**the other TV example that is in the time period is Family Guy. The thing about Family Guy is it did get that year long hiatus and then became a show piece property on a small (at the time) cable network before finally being brought back to broadcast television. There is no reason to believe it would have ever reached the success it eventually did if it had simply stayed on broadcast TV that whole time. In comic terms it was cancelled, retooled and relaunched with a new #1 quite a while later.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

"It needs time to find its audience"

Isn't the job of marketing to get the title out in front of that audience so they can "find" it? Isn't that sort of statement basically admitting the marketing has failed?
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

I think marketing/public relations has been one of DC's weaknesses in recent years. Marvel has been the master of spin. We are constantly bombarded with Marvel press interviews, and PR students like their Secret Wars announcement event at Midtown Comics. I really wish DC had issued something more exciting than just a press release to announce their Post-Convergence plans. I miss those Bob Wayne/John Cunningham interviews that Newsarama used to carry. I know DC has the retailer roadshows but those are not for the general public. But maybe someone could have shot a video from an office or Earth 2 (the comic shop Geoff Johns co-owns). Hopefully DC will invest more time and energy into marketing once they move to Burbank.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

i'll update my resume :D