Previews Spotlight #089 (Mar->May) Deadline: Sat AM, Mar 7

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #089 (Mar->May) Deadline: Sat AM, Mar 7

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, February 25th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, March 7th.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread with the full title and issue number. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

A couple of quick things that help out a lot in the organizing and producing of the episode:

Please featured item in a separate audio file. Exceptions can be made but the episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

If possible, please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p###-: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
M###-: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.
Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools we use to prep the clips for the episode handle spaces in filenames gracefully.

If it is something not in Previews (like The Private Eye), use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.

So, essentially, it use this:
p000-[M000-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p000-: placeholder for the page number in Previews
M###-: placeholder for the page number in Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is. The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

At the very least, please include the full name of the item in the filename so it can be properly listed in the show notes. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for me to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.

Dark Horse: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=59234
DC: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=59369
IDW: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=59387
Image: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=59353
Marvel: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=59364

Archie (Dark Circle): http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=59328
BOOM!/Archaia: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=59331
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #089 (Mar->May) Deadline: Sat AM, Mar

Post by drew »

Dibs for May:

Fight Club 2 #1 (Dark Horse)
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Good pick Drew!

For me, I skipped this and decided to get it in trade if it was well-reviewed, and it was.

Dark Horse
Predator: Fire and Stone TPB

Injection #1 from Warren Ellis

Marvel
Secret Wars #1 & #2
Inhumans Attilan Rising #1
M.O.D.O.K. Assassin #1
Ant-Man: Scott Lang TPB

Dynamite
Swords of Sorrow #1
Flash Gordon Omnibus VOL 1

Waiting on DC's solicits...
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the Comic Book Page picks of the month:

DARK HORSE

Usagi Yojimbo #145
Stan Sakai (W/A/Cover)
On sale May 20
b&w, 24 pages
$3.50
Ongoing
Stan Sakai triumphantly returns to his signature creation, just in time for Usagi to find himself caught up in a fight between his thief friend Kitsune and a ninja intent on getting the mysterious scroll Kitsune has stolen, at any cost!

DC

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US YEAR FOUR #1
Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO
Art by BRUNO REDONDO, XERMANICO and JUAN ALBARRAN
Cover by HOWARD PORTER
1:25 Variant cover by MATTHEW CLARK
Retailers: This issue will arrive in stores with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
On sale MAY 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST
Superman’s regime has been opposed by the Green Lantern Corps and by those who wield the power of magic, but the Man of Steel has emerged battered yet still in control. Now he’s about to face his greatest opponents yet: the gods themselves! Hera’s role in awakening Wonder Woman from her coma has drawn the attention of Mount Olympus, and these new players are about to test existing alliances.

IDW

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency #1—GEM OF THE MONTH
Chris Ryall (w) • Tony Akins (a) • Tony Akins (c)
An all-new comic series based on Douglas Adams' beloved holistic detective! Dirk arrives in San Diego to face a new country, new cases and new threats: reincarnation, for starters…!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

THE MANTLE #1
STORY: ED BRISSON
ART / COVER A: BRIAN LEVEL
COVER B: PHIL HESTER
MAY 13 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99
Robbie never asked for any of this. While drunkenly walking home from a punk show, he’s hit with lightning and wakes to find that he’s been chosen as the new host for The Mantle, a power set of unimaginable scope. Despite his lack of interest, he’s forced into action. The Plague, a being who has spent 50 years killing every previous host of The Mantle, is already coming for him.

MARVEL

DEADPOOL’S SECRET SECRET WARS #1 (OF 4)
CULLEN BUNN (w) • MATTEO LOLLI & JACOPO CAMAGNI (a)
Cover by TONY HARRIS
ACTION FIGURE VARIANT BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
VARIANT COVER BY TBA
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
ALBUM ARTIST VARIANT BY NICK GANZIN
BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
• NOT A SECRET WARS TIE-IN!
• Well...it is...but not THAT Secret Wars.
• Remember the original Secret Wars from 1984? And remember how Deadpool played a huge important role in it? Wait...you DON’T? Then you need to read this series immediately and be educated! From the team that brought you DEADPOOL KILLUSTRATED comes the most Secretest War of all!
• Plus: a bonus Deadpool Contest of Champions tale!
40 PGS./Parental Advisory …$4.99

OTHER

RED 5 COMICS

DRONE: FATAL ERROR #1
(W) Scott Chitwood (A/CA) Randy Kintz
After being drafted into the military's drone program, David Weaver discovers that it isn't quite the video game he thought it was. But when the drones are called to investigate a sunken submarine, he finds himself on the front lines of a conflict that could start WWIII. Featured in Free Comic Book Day 2015. (STK670044)
32pgs, FC (1 of 4) $3.50

VALIANT

DEAD DROP #1 (OF 4)
Written by ALES KOT
Art by ADAM GORHAM
Cover A by RAUL ALLEN
Cover B by ADAM GORHAM
Cover C by JUAN JOSÉ RYP
Cover D by BRIAN LEVEL
Four issues. Four stories. One ticking clock! Red-hot writer Ales Kot (Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier) and rising star Adam Gorham (Zero) start the countdown to DEAD DROP as an unlikely cast of superhuman operators fall in deep for an undercover conspiracy action thriller in the darkest corners of the Valiant Universe…
There is a secret black market in New York. It is hidden in plain sight – in our streets, trains, restaurants. Those who know how to navigate it exchange secrets of extraordinary nature. But when the secret in circulation is a biological weapon derived from Vine technology, the gloves are off – and the most extraordinary agents are released to stop the disaster before it occurs. Otherwise, in less than thirty minutes, there will be no world to come back to. X-O Manowar, Archer, Neville Alcott, Detective Cejudo and Betamax are ready to save the world.
32pgs, FC (1 of 4) $3.99

BOOKS

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SELF-PUBLISHING COMICS SC
(W) Comfort Love, Adam Withers
For the first time in history, those looking to break into comics have an enormous number of realistic, proven options for doing so all by themselves, without having to rely on big comics publishers. It's an exciting time, but a confusing one for neophytes overwhelmed by numerous options. The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing Comics is the first book of its kind to help readers make sense of it all and take control of their comics-making destinies. It provides would-be creators with a definitive guide to the tools needed for breaking into modern comics via self-publishing. For those looking to create comics on their own terms, this book provides a road map to success. (STK668871)
SC, 8x11, 240pgs, FC $24.99
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

FYI: Dynamite full May 2015 solicits here
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

bralinator wrote:FYI: Dynamite full May 2015 solicits here
Thanks for the link!
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

No problem! A far more complete listing is found elsewhere on Dynamite's site. This one should be the go-to link: http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/previews.html
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

Here are my submissions, all of which are from DC. (I'll try for a little more diversity next time.) :D

Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle #2
Convergence: Adventures of Superman #2
Convergence: Justice Society of America #2
Convergence: Shazam! #2
SvenCarlson
Visitor

Post by SvenCarlson »

I would be happy to preview the following:

IDW:
  • Donald Duck #1
Image:
  • Mythic #1
  • Providence #1
    Neonomicon TPB
Boom Studios! (Archaia):
  • Lantern City #1
Red 5 Comics:
  • Bodie Troll: Fuzzy Memories #1
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

p068- Harrow County #1
p175- Godzilla The Half-Century War HC
p222- Rocket Girl #6
p260- It Will All Hurt #1
p335- Flash Gordon Omnibus Vol.1 - The Man from Earth TP
p352- Exquisite Corpse HC
p355- Nimona HC
p378- Aama Vol.3 The Desert of Mirrors HC
p392-The 6 Voyages of Lone Sloane HC
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

Dear Fellow Podcast Listeners,

I just submitted my clip for Back Issue Magazine #81 on. page 443
This issue covers those DC 100-page Super Spectaculars! from the 70's.

I look forward to hearing everybody's clips.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

ComicTrekker wrote:Here are my submissions, all of which are from DC. (I'll try for a little more diversity next time.) :D

Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle #2
Convergence: Adventures of Superman #2
Convergence: Justice Society of America #2
Convergence: Shazam! #2
nice to hear your submissions again, i thought the DC focus was cool
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)