Orphan Tops Vader

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Orphan Tops Vader

Post by drew »

even with a loot crate bump i cant believe Orphan Black outsold Darth Vader #1:

Top Ten-February
Description Price Vendor
1 Orphan Black #1 $3.99 IDW
2 Darth Vader #1 $4.99 Marvel
3 Spider-Gwen #1 $3.99 Marvel
4 Star Wars #2 $3.99 Marvel
5 Batman #39 $3.99 DC
6 Amazing Spider-Man #14 $3.99 Marvel
7 Darth Vader #2 $3.99 Marvel
8 Amazing Spider-Man #15 $3.99 Marvel
9 Silk #1 $3.99 Marvel
10 Justice League #39 $3.99 DC

should be another interesting Mayo report...
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Orphan Tops Vader

Post by JohnMayo »

Personally, I wasn't expecting Orphan Black #1 to top the list.

Sam and I will be recording on Thursday evening. The data should get posted on Comic Book Resources later today.

If you all have any questions for Sam and I to discuss on the episode, feel free to post them here.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I thought it was interesting that IDW was only the 5th publisher in the diamond era to top the charts (Marvel, DC, Image, Dreamwave?)

I wonder if you guys remember some of the pre-diamond chart-topping publishers?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

A few topics that could be discussed...

1. Many DC comics had a decent bump most likely due to a cover gimmick. Are DC's monthly themed cover gimmicks stealthily popular?
2. DC's weekly series. As all of them approach the end, can DC declare the weekly a success? All three are in the top 100. Is Injustice a weekly too? If so, that's four series in the top 150.
3. Spawn 250 at #15 is quite incredible for the granddaddy of the Image titles. There were multiple covers and this is a landmark issue, but Spawn's previous issue sold 12K which is average for that series. Why do you think so many LCSs took a chance on a $5.99 book that barely cracks the top 200? I did read your article and perhaps Spawn #250 could attract former or new readers. A 48K bump seemed unrealistic for that title.

Thanks for considering my questions.
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

John,
Do you make the spreadsheets yourself for the comic sales? If so, would you consider to upload them so they could be downloaded? I would love to put one into Excel and play around with it. I'm in Excel classes.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Yes, I do put the Excel file that we use for the episodes together myself. It is a crazy workbook which has been in a fairly continual state of flux since I first stated podcast about comic book sales back in January 2006. I tend not to circulate the Excel files for a couple of reasons.

Is there any particular data you want to play with?
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

JohnMayo wrote:Yes, I do put the Excel file that we use for the episodes together myself. It is a crazy workbook which has been in a fairly continual state of flux since I first stated podcast about comic book sales back in January 2006. I tend not to circulate the Excel files for a couple of reasons.

I just learned charts last night in class, and I just wanted to make charts of the top selling books from each company or something to that effect.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Perseus wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:Yes, I do put the Excel file that we use for the episodes together myself. It is a crazy workbook which has been in a fairly continual state of flux since I first stated podcast about comic book sales back in January 2006. I tend not to circulate the Excel files for a couple of reasons.

I just learned charts last night in class, and I just wanted to make charts of the top selling books from each company or something to that effect.
That I can do. In return, please post whatever charts you create.

I'll simplify the data a little before I give it to you. I have the data going back a long ways and I usually cut it off at March 2003 when Diamond first started reporting what they invoiced to retailers. What time frame of data would you like? Just the top 300 comics for Feb 2015, the top 300 comics for the last x months?
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

JohnMayo wrote:
Perseus wrote:

That I can do. In return, please post whatever charts you create.

I'll simplify the data a little before I give it to you. I have the data going back a long ways and I usually cut it off at March 2003 when Diamond first started reporting what they invoiced to retailers. What time frame of data would you like? Just the top 300 comics for Feb 2015, the top 300 comics for the last x months?

I'll just take the top 300 comics for Feb 2015 and play with it. I may make a Marvel/DC chart and just indie chart. And a whole one. I appreciate it alot, as I just really wanna practice with a subject matter I like.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Perseus wrote:I'll just take the top 300 comics for Feb 2015 and play with it. I may make a Marvel/DC chart and just indie chart. And a whole one. I appreciate it alot, as I just really wanna practice with a subject matter I like.
If I'd been thinking yesterday, I'd have remember that I post the top 300 comics every month on the website. You can find the top 300 comics for February and the (unedit) draft of my Comic Book Resources article for February here. That should be more than enough to get you started. That is a subset of the Excel file I put together every month with just the essential information. I've put it into an Excel file for you here.

The Mayo Report Index is where you can get to all of the older data for the months I've podcasted about the sales. At some point, I'll extend that back to the start of the pre-order era. All of this is under the "Mayo Report" section of the menu at the top of every page of the website. I update the links to the episodes once the episodes are posted.