Good idea or bad idea???

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Good idea or bad idea???

Post by JohnMayo »

fudd71 wrote:Since 80% discount is unclear, I don’t know if that means 80 points off retail or a discount of 80% off the shops normal discount we will look at it both ways.
It is 80% off the cover price.

This not only doesn't increase the number of copies of the other Valiant comics out there but has already generated a significant amount of ill will.

What puzzles me is the guys at Valiant seem much smarter and more aware than this. I don't understand how this sort of mistake was made by them.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

JohnMayo wrote:
fudd71 wrote: It is 80% off the cover price.
That being the case. In the example the return goes from $0.80 per dollar on $100 to $0.06 per dollar on $256. That is a terrible deal for resellers. As a reseller you are now more likely to support Valliant even less not more.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Has anyone checked with their LCS to see if they're receiving any Geomancers book and how much they are charging for them?
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:Has anyone checked with their LCS to see if they're receiving any Geomancers book and how much they are charging for them?
DCBS wants 20 bucks

Book of Death Legends of Geomancer #1 (of 4) 1:25 Incentive Issue, No Regular Cover Available
(W) Fred Van Lente (A) Juan Jose Ryp (CA) Marguerite Sauvage A special BOOK OF DEATH retailer incentive! The true history and lineage of the...
DCBS Price: $20.00

Midtown comics wants $34

highway robbery...
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I did decide to pay the $20 for the issue via DCBS. Given the way Valiant set things up, I think DCBS made a reasonable decision on the price.

Of course, as a result, I reserve the right to divide my rating by the 4x price multiplier...
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JohnMayo wrote:Of course, as a result, I reserve the right to divide my rating by the 4x price multiplier...
depending on page count, 5x price really...I see a D in your future :)
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

An Entirely new potentially bad idea from DC comics this time

This story does quote a Chris Burnham tweet with some salty language

This one I have mixed feelings on. I have actually been vocal about comics needing more ads. We went from having what I saw as a normal amount of ads when I was a kid, to slowing having virtually no ads, to books being completely full of only house ads. Mainly at the big two we have slowly seen a return to paid ads over the last few years. All other publishers I have noticed still seem to be unable to sell advertising. When I say that I mean "real ads", ads as in not just house ads or ads for some other product of the parent company but an actual ad that was sold and paid for by someone wishing to advertise their product. Comics use to be full of ads, and in some ways the ads are part of the fun of going through older back issues. One would also hope that advertisers would help subsidize the cost of comics keeping prices at the current level or even bringing them down perhaps.

All of that being said, I'm not do thrilled with story pages being split up with ads. What are some of your thoughts?
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

I don't mind ads in the book, especially the old ones from the 50's and 60's. It kind of gives the book that piece of history that I like.

Today I don't mind ads. However, where they are placing these in the DC books, I don't like at all. It could ruin the flow of the story.