Subscription Boxlight

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Subscription Boxlight

Post by drew »

clobberin_time_bs wrote: If you like that idea but want just single issues instead of trades Nerd Block has a comic block that comes with three comics and a t shirt. I've received two of them and haven't been dissapointed yet with either the books or the shirt.
sounds my speed, how much?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

Post by clobberin_time_bs »

drew102e wrote:
clobberin_time_bs wrote: If you like that idea but want just single issues instead of trades Nerd Block has a comic block that comes with three comics and a t shirt. I've received two of them and haven't been dissapointed yet with either the books or the shirt.
$13.99 a month plus shipping. With shipping it's just under $20 for the monthly plan. There are discounts too for 3 and 6 month plans I believe.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

clobberin_time_bs wrote:
drew102e wrote:
$13.99 a month plus shipping. With shipping it's just under $20 for the monthly plan. There are discounts too for 3 and 6 month plans I believe.
cool thanks
NDHorse
Contributor

Post by NDHorse »

I just got my most recent Comic Bento in the mail yesterday. The theme for the month was "The Little Guy" and it was their one year anniversary. Overall, it seems like a good box to me, especially since it only cost about $20. Here is what I got.

1.The Life After Vol 1 (Oni Press) by Joshua Hale Fialkov and Gabo
2.Project Superpowers Chapter Two Vol 1 (Dynamite) by Jim Krueger/Alex Ross and Edgar Salazar (this one also came with a digital download for Project Superheroes Vol 1 so you can get caught up)
3. Witch & Wizard Vol 1: Battle Shadowland (IDW) by James Patterson and Victor Santos (hardcover)
4. Divinity (Valiant) by Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine
5. Marvel Universe Ant-Man Digest

I don't know a whole lot about these (which is part of the point of me getting these boxes). The Life After looks interesting just because I have enjoyed Fialkov in the past. I like that Project Superpowers comes with a digital download of the first part of the story (when I first saw the book, I figured I would be lost because I hadn't read the first part) and who doesn't like Alex Ross art, even if its just covers. Witch & Wizard I have no clue (isn't James Patterson a big mystery/suspense writer?), but the hardcover adds some value. Divinity is the one I am most looking forward to because I have recently started reading the new Valiant output and loving it. I have seen ads for this trade all over Comic Book Resources, so getting this as part of the box really makes it feel like a good deal. And lastly the Ant-Man Digest, which because of the physical digest size of the book ties it into this month's theme just that more. Also, it's a bunch of "all ages" stories, so I can pass this one on down to my kids.

All in all, I am excited to tear into these books and count this box in the win column. This my third month and I haven't been disappointed yet.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

It's cool that you got a free slab offer from one of your boxes, if its CGC, that is worth 20 bucks or so.

My recommendations (based on 9.8/NM condition and what I think you have in your collection) for your consideration are as follows:

Amazing Spider-Man #300 (first Venom - $1200-1500)
Walking Dead #19 (first app. Michonne, $600-1000)
New Mutants #98 (first appearance Deadpool, $1500-2000)
Batman Adventures #12 (first Harley Quinn, $1500-2000)

I could go on and on but if I were you I would pick one of these - and then have it shipped to my house :D
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

My sister and I will be recording another Subscription Boxlight once the LootCrate and MarvelCollectorCorps boxes arrive.

The latest Wizard ComicConBox arrived and that puts me at a decision point on it. The subscription goes month-to-month unless I extended it for 3-months, 6-months or cancel it. We'll probably make a decision on that when we record that part of the next Subscription Boxlight.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

When I was at Wizard World Chicago, there was a Comic Con box setup, and I stopped to talk to the "curator" of the boxes about the contents, and this is what he let me know that might help you:

* The Marvel and DC items cannot co-exist per each companies rules. So they will go in three month rotations. I believe the next month is the box that features Batman Adventures 12 as the comic, and then there will be 2 more months of DC. They will sprinkle independents in there from time to time, but it will mostly be Marvel and DC
* Each box will contain a Funko. This could be a Pop or a Plushy, and we will not know until the box arrives what it will be
* They do go out and get certain items signed, and will randomly insert them in place of other items. It sounds like this would be in 10 boxes per month, or so. So % chance is incredibly slim that someone gets them

Their big selling point was to show what the BA 12 comic and sketch versions are reselling for on Ebay, and that you will get your money back right away on it. This could all be old news for you, but thought I would pass it along either way. Thanks for the great shows!
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

Just listened to the latest episode and found it fun to go through each item you had in your boxes because I get the same boxes you do (plus one or two others) and some of the items did vary.

In the ComicCon Box, my graphic novel was different. I got Amazing Spider-Man Life and Death. I wonder if they just got the cheap books from Diamond that they were trying to sell off. Still cool though, I always enjoy a good trade. It does make me wonder how much variety there was. My Pop was also different, I got Beast from the X-Men. I didn't have that one yet so I was excited to see it.

In the Loot Crate, I got a Venom mug instead of Carnage, which I'm thrilled with because I like Venom but am ambivalent to Carnage.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I got an email letting me know the next ComicConBox is shipping. My sister and I will probably record that segment shortly after it arrives and make a decision on if we keep that subscription or not.
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

JohnMayo wrote:I got an email letting me know the next ComicConBox is shipping. My sister and I will probably record that segment shortly after it arrives and make a decision on if we keep that subscription or not.
That's the box with the re-print of
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Harley Quinn's first appearance
. With you getting so many comics that you already have in these boxes, I'm curious if you already have that one. If so, that'd be a good candidate to use your CGC coupon on.
NDHorse
Contributor

Post by NDHorse »

Thought I'd do a quick post about my recent Comic Bento.

This month was something new. Comic Bento did a publisher spotlight where all of the books were by Dynamite Entertainment. http://comicbento.com/social-stream/ All of the books had a horror theme to them. They included:

The Complete Dracula by Leah Moore (Alan Moore's daughter) and John Reppion
Grimm Vol 1 by David Greenwalt and Jose Malagna
Dean Koontz' Fear Nothing Vol 1 by Derek Ruiz and Bob Gill
Vampirella Vol 1: Our Lady of Shadows by Nancy A. Collins and Patrick Berkenkotter

Dracula was a pretty faithful adaption of the original novel. There are actually notes in the back about how they consulted with Dracula scholars on the details. The art fits the story very well. Grimm is one of those TV shows that my wife watches, but I occasionally see an episode. The story seemed to have the same feel of the show, but overall seemed pretty average to me. Fear Nothing is an adaptation of the Dean Koontz novel about a guy who has a sensitivity to light discovering a criminal enterprise involving dead bodies. I wouldn't mind reading the second part, but I am not rushing out to get it. The last one is Vampirella, but I haven't read it yet. I have actually never read any Vampirella comics in my 25 years of comics reading. Just the look of the character put me off, but I will read it soon (and the Aliens/Vampirella series coming out right now since I am a huge Aliens fan).

All in all, my favorite so far is the Dracula adaptation, but in total probably the weakest of the 4 boxes I have gotten so far. Interestingly, I was reading John's post yesterday about August sales numbers http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... to-top-tenand all of these books are on the trade list from #22-26 with about 2500 copies sold. This obviously has to all be being bought by Comic Bento given that this month's sales make up about 80% of their total sales. Comic Bento has to have gotten these at a steep discount. Comic Bento isn't always buying overstock items, given the Valiant trades included in their recent boxes, but the books are usually 2-4 years old.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

although I enjoy the unboxing podcasts, it doesn't seem like they have been worth the money...I am guessing loot crate is the best dollar for dollar (its less than 20 bucks right?)

The others have all seemed hit or miss and more miss than hit to be worth the $

you should mention the subscription cost when you open the box

btw-I almost drove on the road screaming "Breaking Bad...its Breaking Bad" when you were discussing the apron...thank you Kay (and google)
NDHorse
Contributor

Post by NDHorse »

Here is my summary of the September Comic Bento box. Hope you all enjoy this.

The theme for this month's box was Fight The Fight. The books all have an large action element to them. There were 5 books in all:

Superman/Batman: Vengeance (DC Comics) by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness
X-O Manowar: Enter Ninjak (Valiant) by Robert Venditti and Lee Garbett
Daredevil Season One (Marvel) by Antony Johnston and Wellington Alves
Executive Assistant: Iris (Aspen) by David Wohl and Eduardo Francisco
Highlander: The Coldest War (Dynamite) by Brandon Jerwa/Michael Avon Oeming and Lee Moder/Kevin Sharpe

Superman/Batman is the mid '00 series that was just Loeb and McGuiness just having crazy fun with the two main characters and their supporting cast. This one has Bizzaro and Batzarro craziness and a spoof on The Ultimates (The Maximums). I already had these single issues, but it was fun to reread it.

X-O Manowar was the second volume of the recent revival of that character and introduced Ninjak. I had read this before from my local library, but really enjoyed reading it again. I especially loved the attack on MI-6.

Daredevil Season One was from the group of Season One books that Marvel put a few years back. This one was OK, but I got the nice hardcover edition. It was really just a updated retelling of the first Daredevil issues from the 60s. The art was a bit lackluster in my opinion. Also, just an example of how Comic Bento picks up overstock books, it came with a code for a digital download of the book, but when I tried to redeem it, I realized that the code had expired a year or two ago. I don't know where they found this book in the warehouse.

Executive Assistant: Iris was really what you would expect from looking at the cover. Sexy Asian assassins. I really have never followed Aspen's books, so this was new to me. Apparently it was co-created by Michael Turner. If only it could have been his art. But I did some research and apparently this lead to a bunch of spinoffs and crossovers. Must have caught on with somebody.

Lastly, Highlander: Coldest War started off right after the first movie and ignored everything else (which is how it should be). But of course, I thought the movie ended with one last Highlander. This book has a few others which I never quite understood. The story had concurrent stories in the present time and the 50s with McCleod acting as a spy for the US Government and dealing with Kurgan (the Big Bad from the movie). Mediocre in my opinion.

This box was the 5th of my 6 month subscription. Overall I like the Comic Bento boxes and the surprise of what is coming each month. Some things I have never heard of and was greatly surprised (The Life After). I believe that I will be renewing my subscription (now I need a place to put all of these books as I am not usually a trade buyer, but rather purchase monthly single issues).

Taking a look at the most recent comic sales charts from John http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... rket-sales, it looks like X-O Monowar was at #31, Daredevil at #35, and Superman/batman at #37, each floating around 2,500 copies sold. I don't know where Comic Bento got the others.

If you are curious about Comic Bento, go check it out here
http://www.comicbento.com
NDHorse
Contributor

Post by NDHorse »

NDHorse wrote:Taking a look at the most recent comic sales charts from John http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... rket-sales, it looks like X-O Monowar was at #31, Daredevil at #35, and Superman/batman at #37, each floating around 2,500 copies sold. I don't know where Comic Bento got the others.

http://www.comicbento.com
I took a look at an unboxing video from another subscriber to Comic Bento and I noticed something interesting. They had gotten a different Executive Assistant trade (the later crossover series) and a different Highlander trade (Vol.3). I guess that explains why I didn't notice the titles I got on the sales list. However, I did notice Highlander Vol.3 at rank #124 with 1,065 copies sold (Vol. 2 was at #147 with 922 copies sold). Add those two numbers up and I am guessing the difference between this and what the other tiles were selling would get you the copies sold of Highlander Vol. 1 (the one that I got).

Interesting that Comic Bento will fill out a box with different copies of the same series. In the summary card that comes with each monthly box, they didn't have specifics on the Highlander trade. They just listed it as a bonus. That was probably because everyone was getting something different.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

ComicBlock from NerdBlock seems like another one some of you guys might be interested in. You get three comics, a collectible and a t-shirt for $13.99 a month which isn't a bad deal. Has anybody tried that one? If the shirts are usually good, I might consider it. Odds are that I'd already have the comics but $13.99 for a comic themed t-shirt isn't a bad deal if I like the shirt.