Call Your Shot-Archie #1

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Call Your Shot-Archie #1

Post by drew »

With 40+ variant covers, a superstar creative team in Mark Waid and Fiona Staples, the loot crate possibility, rumored shelf space at Wal-Mart and Target, Archie #1 could easily exceed sales of half a million copies (Orphan Black did it right?)

I am guessing 575,000

am I crazy?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Re: Call Your Shot-Archie #1

Post by bralinator »

I think it could easily do half-a-million units, but call me a curmudgeon, it has started to bug me how the people at Archie Comics seem willing to treat their iconic protagonist with such questionable reverence lately.

What was once considered to be a "wholesome and family friendly" property seems to be embracing a strange dark side and nobody seems willing to about it. Archie Comics #666 was promoted as being a major milestone for the character and the company, there was a lot of press about it, but other than people saying "zoinks!" no one seems to acknowledging any significance with the number. It doesn't take a numerology expert to recognize what's commonly referred to as the 'mark of the beast' and it isn't as if the publisher can't control what number they chose to end on. It was clearly intentional. Kind of weird, maybe?

I was impressed when somebody thought it would be a good idea to let Riverdale be overrun with zombies. And the formula works quite well. But, Afterlife with Archie is by far the most disturbing and twisted Archie comic ever (unless you count the Archie-Glee crossover). I enjoyed it immensely, even produced a tear when (SPOILER ALERT) Archie's dog died protecting him. But when the publisher has veered into subjects like gay marriage, Miss Grundy dying of cancer, Cherry Blossom having incest with her twin brother, and even Archie himself being killed in Life With Archie, sacrificing himself to an assassin's bullet that was meant for his gay pal - we're delving into some dark subject matter indeed. And not to mention what's going on with the Sabrina horror comic... (shudder!)

I'm guessing there are still many comic fans don't realize that in the late 70's Archie Comics hired a born-again Christian artist/writer named Al Hartley. Hartley helped launch the Spire Christian Comics line, and pitched Archie president John L. Goldwater to let him license the Archie guys 'n' gals. Since Goldwater was religious (and Jewish), he agreed, and Spire went on to release 59 comics — at least 19 of them Archie titles, along with six Bible stories.

Fast forward 30+ years, and now the teens are being ripped apart in the new Predator crossover (I'm guessing, as I only have the first issue), and an upcoming Sharknado crossover will likely see a lot of bloodshed. They even have plans for guest writers this year, such as the polarizing and outspoken feminist Lena Dunham who promised to insert her politics and beliefs into Riverdale (http://lat.ms/1e5yfkS). I'm not so sure that's a good thing for my teen daughter to be reading anymore. What a strange trip it's been - from Little Archie to Christian comics to a finale that commemorates the mark of the beast. It strikes me as a bit odd - maybe even a little diabolical. It's symbolic in that there's a motive there, just not sure what the motive is. Purely profit? I guess so, but it's definitely not a kids funny book anymore.

And yes, I ordered the Fiona Staples cover for the new issue #1.
500,000 units.

fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I think it could easily sell over a half million copies or even more. I'm just not sure we will ever know. I actually think Archie does much better currently than most of us know. Unless there is press release for this title we may never know since a large portion of these sales aren't with Diamond, especially the Walmart and Target components plus their normal newstand and store channels.
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

I'm wondering if fans will not buy Archie because of the negativity surrounding the company's failed Kickstarter. That created some negative buzz for the company that I'm sure they were not expecting.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Perseus wrote:I'm wondering if fans will not buy Archie because of the negativity surrounding the company's failed Kickstarter. That created some negative buzz for the company that I'm sure they were not expecting.
that's true I didn't factor that but I believe the orders were all in before that happened
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

so...101,488...not too shabby, but I was off by about half a million....
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

drew102e wrote:so...101,488...not too shabby, but I was off by about half a million....
So that is a touch under 5k per variant.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

I was only off by 400K! I'm surprised.

Look at it this way Drew, if it picks up steam, these #1 issues might have a bit of value to the speculators. I'm wondering what the print runs on the variants were.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote:I was only off by 400K! I'm surprised.

Look at it this way Drew, if it picks up steam, these #1 issues might have a bit of value to the speculators. I'm wondering what the print runs on the variants were.
maybe...not many comics over a 100k worth much...lately anyway
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Yes, but that number probably includes some 'rare' variants..
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote:Yes, but that number probably includes some 'rare' variants..
that's true I only picked up the Fiona and Zdarsky covers...wonder how to find out the breakdown of comics shipped by cover?