Peter David's The Phantom by Hermes Press - PLEASE review on

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

jdcoates63
Passerby

Peter David's The Phantom by Hermes Press - PLEASE review on

Post by jdcoates63 »

If you're not reading "The Phantom" mini-series published by Hermes Press (Not the one by Dynamite Entertainment,though that's a solid read, as well), you are missing one of the best adventure comics to come down the track in years.

Side-Bar: How two American publishers have the same rights to The Phantom - Hermes Press & Dynamite Entertainment - must be a story onto itself. :?

Anyway, this series is written by Peter David, who always delivers, but I think this is his best work in years; he's obviously having a great deal of fun with it. In the liner notes in the back of the first issue he mentions that one of his dreams as a writer is to pen a Phantom Vs. Tarzan team-up. Though he changes the jungle-man character enough from ERB's Tarzan - and even bases him on a toss-away character from the early 1930s The Phantom newspaper strip - it's obvious enough the jungle man character is "based on" Tarzan.

The art is by Sal Velluto. I loved his work in the 1990s on DC Comics' JLA family of books, as he has a Neal Adams lean to his work. He really hit his stride as the main artist on one of the best books from Marvel in the 1990s; Black Panther.

Classic characters, strong writing, solid artwork. What's not to like!??

*PLEASE* give this comic some press. Despite it's well-known creators its a very small press and many comic shops might not even be picking it up. Issue #3 came out this week (June 3). Good comics need our support. Link to the publishers site is below...

Love the podcast and thanks for supporting monthly comics!
John
http://www.hermespress.com/#
Last edited by jdcoates63 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Peter David's The Phantom by Hermes Press - PLEASE revie

Post by JohnMayo »

I haven't checked out either Phantom series. I've been a fan of Peter David's writing and have met him a number of times over the years. I'll try to remember to check it out after my vacation.

If there are issues in the next Previews, please send in a clip on the series as that is another great way to let other listener know about the series.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive