The problem with DC Comics

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

jacovny
Contributor

Re: The problem with DC Comics

Post by jacovny »

ComicTrekker wrote:I've been pleasantly surprised by the new batch of titles...
I agree. My interest in the stories D.C. is telling is definitely on the upswing. The "Truth" storyline is a great example of the lack of quality editorial oversight at D.C. which often leads me to frustration. Someone should have, at some point, mentioned that perhaps telling the story out of sequence wasn't the best way to go about it. I've liked what I've read of Yang's "Superman", but ultimately the story lacks teeth because the moment we're building toward has been spoiled. That said, I do want to focus on the positive, and there IS plenty of it.
ComicTrekker wrote:I agree with John and Drew's take on JLA #1. I was disappointed in the issue and found it somewhat bland, and am also frustrated that it doesn't tie in with current continuity.
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed JLA #1, storywise. Once again, as you pointed out, the presentation was somewhat botched. The characters very much felt to me like their early-New 52 counterparts. This story could easily have taken place during that period. The League seemed rather raw and undisciplined. With the current "Truth" arc in Superman's books, the secret identity outing provided no tension. And again, if the writers of the League titles aren't respecting the costume changes we're seeing in Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, where's my incentive to assume they could be permanent?

I also enjoyed the first issue of Jeff Parker's JLU, a title which has been very poorly treated thus far in my opinion. I would have liked a little more set-up and explanation (for instance, why Swamp Thing and Poison Ivy were specially recruited to something that obliterates flora, and why Adam Strange's disembodied spirit is playing Maxwell Lord), but it left me wanting to read the next issue.

Justice League 3001 #1 was fun, although Giffen and Dematteis unfortunately continued their string of consecutive issues introducing new characters to about 8. (At least, that's how it seems.) The book started with such great potential, but I'm concerned for its longevity.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

jacovny wrote: Someone should have, at some point, mentioned that perhaps telling the story out of sequence wasn't the best way to go about it. ..... ultimately the story lacks teeth because the moment we're building toward has been spoiled.
This is a personal pet peeve of mine. Somewhere in the last 10-15 years it was decided that telling a story out of sequential order was vital to being good, cool, whatever. I'm not sure this is a lack of editing, it might actually be over editing. I think there are editors requesting or even requiring this type of nonlinear storytelling because they think is makes it better or hipper or something. This is also not a problem unique to DC, it is found at Marvel, Image and all other publishers too. Also not only in comics; television, movies and books have all latched on to this nonsense.
NDHorse
Contributor

Post by NDHorse »

fudd71 wrote:
jacovny wrote: Someone should have, at some point, mentioned that perhaps telling the story out of sequence wasn't the best way to go about it. ..... ultimately the story lacks teeth because the moment we're building toward has been spoiled.
This is a personal pet peeve of mine. Somewhere in the last 10-15 years it was decided that telling a story out of sequential order was vital to being good, cool, whatever. I'm not sure this is a lack of editing, it might actually be over editing. I think there are editors requesting or even requiring this type of nonlinear storytelling because they think is makes it better or hipper or something. This is also not a problem unique to DC, it is found at Marvel, Image and all other publishers too. Also not only in comics; television, movies and books have all latched on to this nonsense.
Whatever anyone says about the out of sequence storytelling technique, Action Comics #42 was one of the best Superman stories in years. I loved the relevance to current real life protest situations.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

NDHorse wrote: Whatever anyone says about the out of sequence storytelling technique, Action Comics #42 was one of the best Superman stories in years. I loved the relevance to current real life protest situations.
cool I really liked supe 41 so I am gonna check out action
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

Here is a bit of insight into DC Comics courtesy of Co-Publishers Jim Lee and Dan Didio. I am curious to see what happens after things settle down in Burbank.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/3211 ... dio-part-1
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

definitely some interesting tidbits in there...I am now on board for the new Miller Dark Knight
and a dozen new Vertigo titles over 3 months...sign me up
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

I like the article. Interesting thing that Didio said about Barnes and Noble growing with graphic novels. He is very correct. I was just in Barnes and Noble the other day, and the graphic novel section is alot larger than it used to be. That's awesome to me.

Another thing that might be helping graphic novels in Barnes and Noble is manga. Manga is back as being very popular now. It's section was small not too long ago. Not anymore. Back to being really large. Barnes and Noble is smart to line the graphic novels section with the manga section. Anything to attract the audience of either genre of comics in my opinion.
jacovny
Contributor

Post by jacovny »

DIDIO: A lot of the chafing early on was because we made a lot of dramatic changes and were trying to inject a lot of new and change in the line, and a lot of people were falling back into old conceits and ideas. We were trying to force them to move forward.

When I began this thread, I was pondering why Marvel seems to crushing D.C. in acquiring and retaining top writers. Didio alludes to dissatisfaction in the ranks due to "conceits" and an inability by the talent to think big picture and take risks. It's got me curious. Any of you guys know of specific examples of this?
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Dan DiDio: Is it loose continuity or is it tight continuity? Is it going for diversity or is it going for the core line? My answer to all of that is going to be yes! We're going for it all!
can you have you cake and eat it too?
DiDio: One of the things you always hear from fans is that there are too many events, and too many things that are tied together. I have to agree that sometimes our stories get so interconnected and intertwined that it's hard to read one without reading 20. And unfortunately, it turns off as many people as it turns on.
I would say turns off twice as many...
Didio: Yeah. I think the one misconception that came out of Convergence that we didn't really get too deep into is this idea that we're going to have all these books set in various numbered worlds. That was never going to be the case.
yep just the one problem with convergence that's all...

http://www.newsarama.com/25288-infinite ... e-dcu.html