New DC Titles

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

New DC Titles

Post by drew »

What did you guys think of the June 3 DC new titles:

BAT MITE #1 -skip
BATMAN BEYOND #1 -maybe
BIZARRO #1 -skip
MIDNIGHTER #1 -buy
OMEGA MEN #1 - maybe

I thought Midnighter was the best of the bunch, still not great, not sure if I am picking up any of the #2s though, pretty underwhelming week 1
Last edited by drew on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Re: New DC Titles

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

Skipped all of the June 3 #1's & don't feel bad about any of them.

June 16th #1:
*Robin:Son of Batman-skip, guessing this is just a filler until Damian & a Bruce-Batman reconnect
*Prez-skip, not my thing & is a mini
*Martian Manhunter-buy, very entertaining character pre-Trinity War
*JLA-maybe, $5.99 isn't a good jumping on point & will be worth as much as my JLA #1(2013)
*Doomed-buy, picking up for an investment flyer because it is a new character & might take off like Ms Marvel or Klarion
*Dr Fate-buy, interested but art maybe a turnoff
*Black Canary-buy, but will have to be awfully good for #2 to get picked up
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:Skipped all of the June 3 #1's & don't feel bad about any of them.

June 16th #1:
*Robin:Son of Batman-skip, guessing this is just a filler until Damian & a Bruce-Batman reconnect
*JLA-maybe, $5.99 isn't a good jumping on point & will be worth as much as my JLA #1(2013)
*Doomed-buy, picking up for an investment flyer because it is a new character & might take off like Ms Marvel or Klarion
I like your skip / maybe / buy rankings and have edited mine to reflect that...gonna read the june 10 slate tonight...wish me luck
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

Rowdy, I have to tell ya that the JLA price point is ridiculous. That's not the way for people to get into a JLA book by paying 6 dollars for it. You can almost get a brand new paperback novel for that price.

Comics do not give new readers chances sometimes with their price points.

Even mangas at 10 or 11 dollars do a better job.

I will not be buying the JLA book.
jacovny
Contributor

Post by jacovny »

Perseus wrote: That's not the way for people to get into a JLA book by paying 6 dollars for it.
The solicit calls it "massive widescreen action and adventure". I'm not sure what that even means, but evidently that plus some extra pages is, in their opinions, worth another two bucks for a book with a writer I'm not familiar with. I know he wrote "Real Heroes" over at Image but I didn't read it.

Frankly, despite my questions about this title, I applaud D.C. for trying something different (if a seemingly pointless duplication of an existing title can truly be called different). Like everything else at D.C., I do WANT it to work, and I'll try it in hopes that it will.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

I picked up Midnighter and Earth 2 Society.

I plan on getting Black Canary, Justice League 3001, and Doctor Fate.

At the end of this month I will determine which books will remain on my pull list for July. After July, I will definitely know which one(s) will remain on my pull list for the foreseeable future.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

June 10 Releases

SECTION 8 #1 - terrible - skip
CONSTANTINE THE HELLBLAZER #1 - maybe, not as good as the last volume(s) so far

TBD
EARTH 2 SOCIETY #1
RED HOOD ARSENAL #1
STARFIRE #1
jacovny
Contributor

Post by jacovny »

doctormo wrote:I plan on getting Black Canary, Justice League 3001, and Doctor Fate.
I actually enjoyed the first 6-8 issues of Justice League 3000 IMMENSELY. After that, it felt like Giffen and DeMatteis were trying too hard to pull too many rabbits out of the hat in order to save the book from cancellation (and basically admitted as much in solicits). The last several issues were pretty disappointing. I'm glad to have Beetle & Booster, Fire & Ice back together again, but they cut a lot of corners with the story in order to get us to this point. I'm hoping the series can regain its earlier focus and get back to telling good stories.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

drew102e wrote:June 10 Releases

SECTION 8 #1 - terrible - skip
CONSTANTINE THE HELLBLAZER #1 - maybe, not as good as the last volume(s) so far

TBD
EARTH 2 SOCIETY #1
RED HOOD ARSENAL #1
STARFIRE #1
EARTH 2 SOCIETY #1 - buy - this was good and accessible for me having not read the futures end weekly
RED HOOD ARSENAL #1 - buy - this dynamic works a lot better without starfire, good first issue
STARFIRE #1 - maybe - wasn't bad, Kori seems dumber and sluttier than I remember but I haven't read her much
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:Skipped all of the June 3 #1's & don't feel bad about any of them.

June 16th #1:
Doomed & Black Canary won't be getting #2 picked up, neither really did anything to grab straight out. I might be actively rooting for those black things in Black Canary. Dr Fate will probably get picked up for the first arc. But if turns into another "reluctant young hero doesn't understand super-powers" book, I'll drop it quickly. Martian Manhunter will get on the pull-list.
jacovny
Contributor

Post by jacovny »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote: Dr Fate will probably get picked up for the first arc. But if turns into another "reluctant young hero doesn't understand super-powers" book, I'll drop it quickly.
And so it was. It reminded me a lot of the New 52 Blue Beetle origin story, which was in my opinion much better. This wasn't a bad introduction for Doctor Fate, although the ham-fisted foreshadowing of his superhero name was groan-inducing. George Reeves lowering his glasses and winking at the audience was subtle by comparison. Levitz did some interesting things; his use of the classic Egyptian deities was fun at times. Ultimately it was a story I felt like I've read a million times before. The title character did not appeal to me. The art didn't help it -- not my cup of tea, but I adjusted. I am normally put off by visuals based upon social media constructs (like advancing the story through characters text-messaging -- hey look kids, we understand you! We're hip!), but I thought it was used well here. I guess the jeans/hoodie look makes more sense than blue spandex with yellow underwear on the outside, but meh. I wanted to like Doctor Fate. I didn't hate it, but I'm not excited about another issue. Maybe I'll wait a few issues for a new arc or guest appearance and give Levitz time to establish the character more.
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

DC #1's for June 24th:
We Are Robin: Buy--not overly excited for it. But it is a slow week for me & I'm a sucker for BatBooks
JL 3001: Skip--JL 3000 didn't do anything for me & I'm guessing this is more of the same

Also re-picking up Gotham By Midnight at #6, Juan Ferreyra is taking over art duty from scratchy Ben Templesmith. It is on a new arc & might be a slight change in direction.