Previews Spotlight #094 (Aug->Oct) Deadline: Sat AM, Aug 8

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #094 (Aug->Oct) Deadline: Sat AM, Aug 8

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, July 29th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, August 8th.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread with the full title, issue number and publisher. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

Please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3.

p###: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
Note that the "p" is lowercase. I use the name of the clip to sort the tracks in Audacity and it sorts all of lowercase letters before any of the uppercase letters. Obviously, I can fix this part of the filename if needed. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just use "p000-" instead and I'll look it up. Just use "p000-" for this part of the filename. If it is something not in Previews, use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.
M###: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews. If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

I've got some automation around the episode assembly process which uses the dashes to parse the filenames. Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

The episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.

Dark Horse: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations
DC: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations
IDW: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations
Image: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... yland-more
Marvel: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations

Archie (Dark Circle): http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... tober-2015
BOOM!/Archaia: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations

If you see online solicitations for any of the publishers that aren't linked to here in the thread, please post the link.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #094 (Aug->Oct) Deadline: Sat AM, Aug

Post by MrAloha »

Dear gang,

Marvel's October's solicitations are out.
Here is the link.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations

My pick for this Preview Spotlight:

Marvel-Squadron Sinister #4 by Marc Guggenheim(w) and Carlos Pacheco(a)
-Karnak #1 by Warren Ellis(w) and Gerardo Zaffino(a)
-Contest of Champions #1 by Al Ewing(w) and Pace Medina(a) on pages 34 & 35

DC Comics-SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN #15
Written by ADAM BEECHEN and CARLA SPEED McNEIL
Art by JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ, KEVIN NOWLAN, SCOTT HANNA
and CARLA SPEED McNEIL.

John, I hope you and Kay had a great time at Comic Con. I'm looking forward to your Comic Con episodes.

Aloha
Last edited by MrAloha on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

Dear Gang,

The solicits for October's Image Comics are out.
Here is the link:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... yland-more

Also, check out this website, the Bralinator recommended last month, for other October solicits from DC Comics and Legendary Comics to name a few.
Here's the link:
http://www.firstcomicsnews.com

Again, Bralinator, thank you for the link to this comic book website. I plan to share it with my friends, and other people I meet who loves comics.

Aloha!
Last edited by MrAloha on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP? OMNIBUS TP (BOOM!)
GRUMPY CAT #1 (DYNAMITE)
BACK TO THE FUTURE #1 (IDW)
I HATE FAIRYLAND #1 (IMAGE)
CODENAME BABOUSHKA: THE CONCLAVE OF DEATH #1 (IMAGE)
DOCTOR STRANGE #1 (MARVEL)
HOWLING COMMANDOS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 (MARVEL)
DEAD DROP TPB (VALIANT)
Last edited by bralinator on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the ComicBookPage DCBS picks:

DARK HORSE

THE ROOK #1 (OF 4)
Steven Grant (W), Paul Gulacy (A/Cover), and Jesus Aburto (C)
The Rook is back! Bill DuBay’s time-traveling adventure classic returns, penned and illustrated by comics masters Steven Grant (Two Guns) and Paul Gulacy (Jonah Hex)! Restin Dane is ready for action—anyplace, anytime!
• He’s got history in his gun sights!
• The return of the internationally acclaimed Warren Publishing classic!
FC, 32 pages SRP: $3.99

DC

TITANS HUNT #1
Written by DAN ABNETT
Art and cover by PAULO SIQUEIRA
1:25 Variant cover by TONY S. DANIEL
CONVERGENCE is over, but the ripples are still being felt, especially by a young precog named Lilith. What are these visions she’s having of a Teen Titans team the world never knew? And why does she feel compelled to seek out Dick Grayson, Roy Harper, Donna Troy and an Atlantean named Garth and warn them that something dark and sinister is coming after them? Who are Mal, Gnarrk, Hank Hall and Dawn Granger, and what is their connection to the others—and to the fate of every soul on Earth? This is the Secret History of the TEEN TITANS!
On sale OCTOBER 21 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 12, $3.99 US • RATED T

IDW

BACK TO THE FUTURE #1 (OF 4)
Bob Gale, John Barber, Erik Burnham (w) • Brent Schoonover, Dan Schoening (a) • Schoening (c)
“Untold Tales and Alternate Timelines,” part 1: BttF creator/screenwriter Bob Gale returns with all-new tales from the twisting and turning timeline that made Back to the Future a, well… TIMELESS pop-culture phenomenon! Take a trip back to 1985 and be there when Doc Brown and Marty McFly first meet, and then jump even farther back, to 1945, to witness Doc’s involvement in the super-secret Manhattan Project.
Bullet Points:
* All-new canonical stories by Bob Gale, creator and screenwriter of Back to the Future.
* Scripts by John Barber (Transformers) and Erik Burnham (Ghostbusters, TMNT), with artwork by Brent Schoonover (Batman ’66, Ant-Man) and Dan Schoening (Ghostbusters).
* Part of IDW’s Artist’s Edition Month promotion!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

STAR TREK #50—FIVE-YEAR MISSION
Mike Johnson (w) • Tony Shasteen (a & c)
Don't miss this special anniversary issue that kicks off an epic new 3-part adventure! For the first time, the crew of the new movie franchise will meet its evil Mirror counterpart! It's Enterprise vs. Enterprise, Federation vs. the Terran Empire, with the fate of two universes at stake!
Bullet Points:
* Wrap around cover by interior artist Tony Shasteen, celebrating the momentous 50th issue of IDW’S ongoing Star Trek comic!
* The kick-off of a very special 3 part story, inspired by the classic original Star Trek episode “Mirror, Mirror!”
* Bonus content including behind-the-scenes looks at the last 50 issues of Star Trek…with hints about where the series is going, and what IDW will be doing to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the series in 2016!
* Also available: Artist’s Edition cover by Rachael Stott, and a blank sketch cover!
FC • 40 pages • $4.99

SWITCH #1
STORY / ART / COVER: STJEPAN SEJIC
After millions of views on DeviantArt, this popular web comic finally gets its own series. A teenage girl gets a mighty artifact that grants her immense powers...the catch? It's a bit haunted! This self-contained “universe” includes Artifacts and characters from other series (with permission!) in a delectably STJEPAN SEJIC fashion!
OCTOBER 14 / 48 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.99

INVINCIBLE #124
STORY: ROBERT KIRKMAN
ART: RYAN OTTLEY, CLIFF RATHBURN, & JEAN-FRANCOIS BEAULIEU
COVER: RYAN OTTLEY & JEAN-FRANCOIS BEAULIEU
“REBOOT?” Part One!
This one is big, folks. We’re going back to square one. Mark suddenly finds himself without powers. BACK HOME...but aware of everything he’s lived through. What does he change, who can he save...and how will he deal with his father now that he’s knows what’s coming?
OCTOBER 21 / 24 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

BLACK MAGICK #1
STORY: GREG RUCKA
ART / COVER A: NICOLA SCOTT
COVER B: JILL THOMPSON
The hammer falls this Halloween! From New York Times bestselling and Eisner Award-winning writer GREG RUCKA (LAZARUS, Stumptown, Gotham Central) and superstar artist NICOLA SCOTT (Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Earth 2)! Detective Rowan Black works robbery/homicide for the Portsmouth PD, but her greatest mystery is the truth about herself…both who she has been, and who she will become. Yet there are others in Rowan’s world with very long memories, and the power that one person holds, another will always covet. PLUS, each issue also features an all-new work of original fiction by GREG RUCKA! A new gothic-noir ongoing series about legacy, destiny, redemption…and the price of magic.
OCTOBER 28 / 40 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

MARVEL

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 & 2
DAN SLOTT (w) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (a)
CoverS by ALEX ROSS
ISSUE #1 – DESIGN VARIANT BY ALEX ROSS
COSPLAY VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
INHUMAN 50TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVER BY TBA
SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
VARIANT COVER BY MARK BAGLEY
VARIANT COVER BY GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
BLANK COVER VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
VARIANT COVER BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
VARIANT COVER BY HUMBERTO RAMOS
HIP-HOP VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEL MUNDO
SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED GAME VARIANT COVER BY TBA
ISSUE #2 – KIRBY MONSTER VARIANT COVER BY PAOLO RIVERA
VARIANT COVER BY TBA
THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER HERO!
Spider-Man has gone global! Parker Industries is more successful than ever, with offices in New York, Shanghai, London and San Francisco and Peter Parker is racking up the frequent flyer miles with his “bodyguard” Spider-Man in tow, of course. But success breeds enemies and a reinvigorated Zodiac have also widened their scope to threaten the whole world. Join Dan Slott and Giuseppe Camuncoli as they take Spider-Man to the next level! This huge first issue also includes stories featuring Silk, Spidey 2099, Spider-Woman and much more!
ISSUE #1 - 72 PGS./Rated T…$5.99
Issue #2 - 32 PGS/RATED T...$3.99

OTHER

TITAN COMICS

DOCTOR WHO: THE EIGHTH DOCTOR #1
(W) George Mann (A) Emma Vieceli (CA) Alice X Zhang
"I'm the Doctor, and i'd very much like to know what you're doing in my house..." Get ready for an all-new season of comics adventures featuring the eighth Doctor, as played by Paul McGann in the Doctor Who movie, fan-favorite minisode "Night of the Doctor," and over fourteen years (and counting!) of astounding Big Finish audio spectaculars! Five amazing, interconnected new stories take the Doctor on a rollercoaster of threat and misadventure, as he investigates the mysteries surrounding his new companion Josie. Victorian magic shows, murderous trees, lost books, crystalline life-forms, barges in space crammed with the undead — and the grand journey all begins in a sleepy Welsh town besieged by living paintings! (STK684115)
ZHANG REGULAR COVER—32pgs, FC (1 of 5) SRP: $3.99
PHOTO SUBSCRIPTION COVER—32pgs, FC SRP: $3.99
BLANK SKETCH VARIANT—32pgs, FC SRP: $3.99
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

My October Picks

IDW
1). Empire Uprising #5

Image:
1). Paper Girls #1

DC/Vertigo
1). Art Ops #1

Marvel
1). Extraordinary X-men #1 & #2
Joe3c
Fan

Post by Joe3c »

My picks:

DC:
Superman: Lois & Clark #1
Justice League United #14

Image:
Witchblade #185

Marvel:
Astonishing Ant-Man #1
Blade #1
Marvel Super Hero Contest of Champions #1
Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens-Shattered Empire TPB
Last edited by Joe3c on Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SvenCarlson
Visitor

Post by SvenCarlson »

Blood Feud #1 by Oni press

Bad Moon Rising #1 by 451Media Group

Oniba: Swords of the Demon #0 by Aspen
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

Post by clobberin_time_bs »

Uncanny Avengers #1
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

p069- Planetes Omnibus Vol. 1 TP
p133- Twilight Children #1
p211- Satellite Sam Deluxe HC
p300- Iscariot HC
p314- Long Red Hair GN
p355- Soldier's Heart- A WII Vetran's Battle on the Homefront HC
p357- Human Body Theater HC
p391-Pablo & Jane and The Hot Air Contraption HC
p443-One Punch Man Vol. 1 & 2
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

The Humans #8 (Image)
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)