Who is reading/loving Marvel's Star Wars Comics?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Who is reading/loving Marvel's Star Wars Comics?

Post by drew »

For me, I like all of them but if I was to rank em:

1. Darth Vader
2. Star Wars
3. Kanan
4. Lando
5. Princess Leia

#1 and #5 are locked in but 2/3/4 are pretty close
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
HipHopHead
Reviewer

Re: Who is reading/loving Marvel's Star Wars Comics?

Post by HipHopHead »

Drew, I agree with your list (although I haven't read Kanan)

1. Darth Vader - 5 Stars
2. Star Wars
3. Lando
4. Princess Leia - so far the weakest of the titles I have read

I hope Marvel does not try to make the Star Wars comics like the "X-Men", with 15 different titles.

A nice touch would be to have the Star Wars comics with 'motion/sound effects' like the IDW comics app.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

HipHopHead wrote: A nice touch would be to have the Star Wars comics with 'motion/sound effects' like the IDW comics app.
I haven't checked that out, sounds interesting
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

Only picking up Vader currently. But definitely picking up Star Wars #7 for the Kenobi story.
jacovny
Contributor

Post by jacovny »

I'm loving Star Wars. I was initially disappointed to find out that it took place between Episodes 4-5 of the movie series, but every issue has been fun and left me wanting more. I'm not reading the other SW titles, as characters like Leia and Lando have never been favorites. The Vader title may be the best of the bunch, but I'm not reading it. I just can't fully enjoy a story, no matter how well told, when I can't root for any of the characters I'm reading about. During the Vader/Jabba confrontation, which was admittedly a thrill, I found myself pulling for Jabba to get Vader into the rancor pit and finish him off. He's a bad, bad man. (Wag finger.) Villain titles just aren't my cup of tea.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

jacovny wrote:During the Vader/Jabba confrontation, which was admittedly a thrill, I found myself pulling for Jabba to get Vader into the rancor pit and finish him off. He's a bad, bad man. (Wag finger.) Villain titles just aren't my cup of tea.
I can see that, I don't mind it myself but that makes total sense
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Haven't read Kanan, so I can't speak to it, but I am enjoying the other 4. Would like to see an anthology title with 8-12 page stories featuring Wedge, Biggs, IG88, etc.

Not sure if I'm interested in a Chewbacca limited series. Groot didn't do much for me, and they seem to be similarly limited in their vocabulary.

I too was initially disappointed that they were kicking this off immediately after "A New Hope"'s conclusion, because I was a big fan of Brian Wood's run on the same timeline at Dark Horse, but I've enjoyed it immensely. Since Marvel has a good relationship with Wood, does anyone think he will get in on some of this action?
Last edited by bralinator on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote:I was a big fan of Brian Wood's run on the same timeline at Dark Horse, but I've enjoyed it immensely. Since Marvel has a good relationship with Wood, does anyone think he will get in on some of this action?
Brian Wood's run was great-too bad only 20% as many comic shops carried it compared to current iteration
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

drew102e wrote:
bralinator wrote:I was a big fan of Brian Wood's run on the same timeline at Dark Horse, but I've enjoyed it immensely. Since Marvel has a good relationship with Wood, does anyone think he will get in on some of this action?
Brian Wood's run was great-too bad only 20% as many comic shops carried it compared to current iteration
Yes indeed. Does that lower print run create any collectibility value for that title? Or has Star Wars new series generally sucked the life out of the Dark Horse line back-issue market?
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

No value that I can see bralinator...beyond the #1 ($20-ish) and the rare variants

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=23953197
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

I just read Star Wars #1-6 straight through.

OMG It was fantastic! I love it so much. I keep trying to piece it together to how it fits in the trilogy timeline.

Vader was awesome, Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie.! Wonderful book! I need to catch up on Darth Vader issues now.

This is the best stuff Marvel is putting out right now and the sales show it in my opinion.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Perseus wrote:I just read Star Wars #1-6 straight through.

OMG It was fantastic! I love it so much. I keep trying to piece it together to how it fits in the trilogy timeline.

Vader was awesome, Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie.! Wonderful book! I need to catch up on Darth Vader issues now.

This is the best stuff Marvel is putting out right now and the sales show it in my opinion.
yeah - its a great shared universe with lots of potential new series and crossovers between all the SW titles...sky's the limit...I hope they keep the superheroes out of it though (I heard rumors)
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

I've completely past on all the new Star Wars titles. I'm not a fan of the Star Wars universe and characters. But Stuart Immonen's art on issue #8 made me want to start reading it.