Secret Wars Selections

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

bralinator
Special Reviewer

Secret Wars Selections

Post by bralinator »

I'd be very interested to know everyone's reaction to the Secret Wars issues, crossovers, tertiary issues, etc. Would especially like to hear Drew and John's ratings on those side titles. If anyone is "all in," it's John. Maybe a special SWA ecap episode?

I've enjoyed Renew Your Vows, Weirdworld, Future Imperfect, Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, and others, but there are so many titles to try out, I wonder if I may be missing something.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Secret Wars Selections

Post by JohnMayo »

I'm still way behind on my reading so I haven't gotten to all of the titles. Once I get current, we might do a SWA recap, possibly at the end of a Weekly Comics Spotlight.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

I think the main title is fantastic. I tried a lot of the X-Men titles, but will probably only finish out Old Man Logan & Age of Apocalypse. I'm also reading Last Days of Magneto which is good, but you'd really need to read the 2014 run for it to pay off.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

JohnMayo wrote:I'm still way behind on my reading so I haven't gotten to all of the titles. Once I get current, we might do a SWA recap, possibly at the end of a Weekly Comics Spotlight.
I look forward to it John!
RowdyFromScrubs wrote:I think the main title is fantastic. I tried a lot of the X-Men titles, but will probably only finish out Old Man Logan & Age of Apocalypse. I'm also reading Last Days of Magneto which is good, but you'd really need to read the 2014 run for it to pay off.
I'd like to hear more about the AoA title
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

Post by clobberin_time_bs »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:I think the main title is fantastic. I tried a lot of the X-Men titles, but will probably only finish out Old Man Logan & Age of Apocalypse. I'm also reading Last Days of Magneto which is good, but you'd really need to read the 2014 run for it to pay off.
I also think the main series is fantastic. Besides that I am really enjoying X-Men '92, Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps, and Marvel Zombies (which is really Elsa Bloodstone book).
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

I was going to skip out of most of these SWA tie ins and save some money while enjoying the main Secret Wars title...

As of yesterdays visit to my lcs the "only" tie ins on my pull list are:
Future imperfect, Red Skull, SpiderIsland, SpiderVerse, AMS: Renew your vows, Age of apocalypse, Inferno, E for exctinction, Guardians of knowhere, Siege, Runaways, INH:Attilan rising, Cpt Marvel and carol corps, Years of future past, Squadron sinister, Civil war, Old man logan, Weirdworld, Thors, A-force, 1872, House of M, Where monsters dwell

Havent read all yet, lots of good stories and art so far.

3 issues into:
Spider-Verse, likeable and fun spidey characters, SpiderHam FTW! art is so so, not a big issue for me
FutureImperfect, for the Peter David characters Ruby, knowstuffLayla and Maestro, I kinda like Lands clean art style

added redskull, spiderisland, AoA, EforExct after checking out the first issues...
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I have sampled quite a few SWA titles but I'm only continuing Where monsters dwell and Thors...I hear good things about spidey renew your vowels but haven't read yet
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

I see what you did there Drew.

Renew your 'vowels'...?
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I'll blame it on my iPhone
spid
Special Reviewer

Post by spid »

I am enjoying both the minis and the main series. As I was being surprised with how good Marvel Zombies I was thinking if your going to do a big crossover it has to be super focused with few crossover issues or something like this that takes over the entire line. They have time to really flesh out the world and make unique stories to fill in the back ground.

I have really enjoyed

Marvel Zombies
Masters Of Kung Fu
Weirdworld
Thors
Where Monster's Dwell
Infinity Gauntlet

I have not read some of the other minis on my pile to read. I am kinda disappointed in Planet Hulk. I was expecting more from it.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

Top picks so far (imo):
Renew your vow(el)s
Civil War
Siege
Thors
Weirdworld
Where monsters dwell

Also good: SpiderIsland, Runaways, EisforExtinction, A-force, SpiderVerse, SinisterSquadron, FutureImperfect
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

I'm loving so much of the Secret Wars titles, and the main title is incredible.

Age of Apocalypse is one of my favorites, along with A-Force
Joe3c
Fan

Post by Joe3c »

I will third (or is it fourth) how good the main title is.
Love Weirdworld, enjoy 1872, Squadron Sinister and Where Monsters Dwell. I wanted to like Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos (I love Marvel's Horror characters), but the humor was not to my taste. Weirdworld and Squadron are the only two I could possibly see myself continuing with as titles.
RacerX5150
Passerby

Post by RacerX5150 »

I'm really enjoying 1872, Civil War, and Old Man Logan. I've been a fan of Sorentino's art since his run on Green Arrow, and I'm glad he'll get to continue on OML when then series reboots.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

drew102e wrote:I have sampled quite a few SWA titles but I'm only continuing Where monsters dwell and Thors...I hear good things about spidey renew your vows but haven't read yet
loved renew your vows and 1872 has been great so far