Questions for John

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

SvenCarlson
Visitor

Questions for John

Post by SvenCarlson »

John,

I just listened to episode 1001 and I enjoyed it very much. Congratulations on the accomplishment and thank you for all of the hard work, entertainment, education and thought provoking material.

If I might be so bold, I've been inspired by episode 1001 to ask a few questions myself.

Which of the following aspects of comics do you enjoy discussing more?:

1. The differences between the way the stories are put to market and then consumed by readers (ie. Single issues, trades, digitally, etc.)
2. The pros and cons, or the differences, in approaches different publishers take to creating comics
3. The comparisons between similar types of comics

A number of times you have mentioned having celiac disease. I understand that people with that issue have severe issues with processing gluten. How difficult have you found eating in restaurants or even shopping at the market for that matter? For anyone newly diagnosed with this or who has a loved one that has celiac, what resources would you recommend for them? Lastly, have you ever heard of or had any experience with the gluten free paleo diet?

Have you ever considered a periodic Q&A segment/mini-episode?

What do you like most about your website?

What would you most like to improve upon on your website?

If given the opportunity what business advice would you give to craft/indie comic publishers?

If you could put on your prognostication cap, what would you suspect the industry will look like in 10 years?

Where do you see the biggest disconnects between publishers, distributors, retailers and consumers?

You have briefly mentioned toying with the idea of starting a publishing group. If you were to do so, could you tell us something about what you believe your focus would be?
SvenCarlson
Visitor

Re: Questions for John

Post by SvenCarlson »

SvenCarlson wrote:John,

I just listened to episode 1001 and I enjoyed it very much. Congratulations on the accomplishment and thank you for all of the hard work, entertainment, education and thought provoking material.

If I might be so bold, I've been inspired by episode 1001 to ask a few questions myself.

Which of the following aspects of comics do you enjoy discussing more?:

1. The differences between the way the stories are put to market and then consumed by readers (ie. Single issues, trades, digitally, etc.)
2. The pros and cons, or the differences, in approaches different publishers take to creating comics
3. The comparisons between similar types of comics

A number of times you have mentioned having celiac disease. I understand that people with that issue have severe issues with processing gluten. How difficult have you found eating in restaurants or even shopping at the market for that matter? For anyone newly diagnosed with this or who has a loved one that has celiac, what resources would you recommend for them? Lastly, have you ever heard of or had any experience with the gluten free paleo diet?

Have you ever considered a periodic Q&A segment/mini-episode?

What do you like most about your website?

What would you most like to improve upon on your website?

If given the opportunity what business advice would you give to craft/indie comic publishers?

If you could put on your prognostication cap, what would you suspect the industry will look like in 10 years?

Where do you see the biggest disconnects between publishers, distributors, retailers and consumers?

You have briefly mentioned toying with the idea of starting a publishing group. If you were to do so, could you tell us something about what you believe your focus would be?
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Thanks for the questions. Those are some great questions.

I've considered a Q&A segment but was never sure if there be enough questions to make it work.

Your post alone is probably enough for a decent episode which in and of itself is enough to justify such as episode. It might take my a few weeks to get such an episode recorded, edited and released but I've added it to the list of episodes in the works. I've got a busy weekend coming up with the Previews Spotlight, the next set of sales data and a nearby convention to go to. After that, I'll sit down and record an episode answering these questions.

If other people have questions, please post them here. I'll answer as many questions as I can when I record the episode.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
HipHopHead
Reviewer

Post by HipHopHead »

I also found Episode 1001 to be VERY informative and entertaining.

In my world (616?), there is only 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week.

Are you sending your podcasts from an alternate universe; where you work 8 hours a day (I'm guessing)? which permits you to order and read ~ $500 worth of 'discounted comics' every month? Watch a slew of television shows and movies?, attend conventions? record and edit podcast for your 'hobbies"? crunch the monthly data on comics and trades every month?

:mrgreen:
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

HipHopHead wrote:I also found Episode 1001 to be VERY informative and entertaining.

In my world (616?), there is only 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week.

Are you sending your podcasts from an alternate universe; where you work 8 hours a day (I'm guessing)? which permits you to order and read ~ $500 worth of 'discounted comics' every month? Watch a slew of television shows and movies?, attend conventions? record and edit podcast for your 'hobbies"? crunch the monthly data on comics and trades every month?

:mrgreen:
I'm stuck in linear time with that annoying 24 hours in the 7 days of the week. If not for that, I'd being doing a lot more, trust me.

I've got a 9 to 5 job on the other side of Austin so add in an hour or two on every business day for the commute. I read quickly which helps on that. I watch virtually no live television which saves me nearly 15 minutes per hour of television. I'm also massively behind on my television viewing so there is that.

But, yeah, it is challenging to find the time to do everything. This weekend, for instance, I went to San Antonio for Texas Comic Con 2015 and I'm working on the Previews Spotlight and the crunching the July 2015 data.

I try to stay organized which helps a lot. Just knowing what needs to be done and when it needs to be done helps a ton. While I don't practice David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology, reading the books were a huge help in getting me more focused on how I spend my time.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive