Top 5 Non-Superhero Comics

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

bralinator
Special Reviewer

Top 5 Non-Superhero Comics

Post by bralinator »

http://www.lifezette.com/popzette/top-f ... ro-comics/

Just read this article someone shared with me and I thought it might make for some good, informative discussion here. The article was pointing at Marvel and DC 'relaunching' their lines recently, and amidst all the hoopla, it discussed lesser known properties by smaller publishers that didn't feature heroes in 'capes and tights' but featured well written, interesting stories that often feature exquisite artwork.

They listed their Top 5 Non-Superhero comics as follows:

1 ) Chrononauts
2 ) Descender
3 ) Alex + Ada
4 ) The Dying & The Dead
5 ) Southern (bleeps)

Two things stood out in this list. First, these are ALL Image comics. Secondly, two of them are no longer ongoing (Chrononauts & Alex + Ada) I also like the three of these that I have either collected, read, or at least sampled. I was also surprised Walking Dead didn't make this list...

Anyone else want to list their top 5 non-superhero comics? I bet we can come up with some titles that aren't just from Image Comics, although there are several that Image publishes that are truly top shelf comics.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Re: Top 5 Non-Superhero Comics

Post by NiklasJ »

My list :-)

Lazarus
Copperhead
The Wicked + The Divine
Rachel Rising
Darth Vader

What is a superhero? Forever Carlyle is pretty superheroish in Lazarus, Darth Vader, very super and his own kind of hero. Runners-up Nailbiter, Low, Birthright and Saga...

I dont get lists with a title that only have 2 issues out (dying and dead), thats not enough to go on. Its a bogus list in all with their special-special circumstances and Image-bias.

If already finished comics is in the running you have lots of stuff, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, League of xtra gentlemen, Sandman.

If only current or recently published is up for grabs there are plenty to choose from at image. Im not reading Transformers, TMNT or GI Joe now (did 20 years ago) those should definitely be up for this kind of list. Only 2 issues of archie but even better reviews than dying and the dead if i remember correct? Sandman Overture, Fables...
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

First My List:
Hit (1957 is the current volume but 1955 is also excellent)
Simpsons Comics
Fables
Groo: (Friends and Foes is current but again any is great)
October Faction

I would also include TMNT and GI Joe for non Marvel DC but those really are super hero titles.
NiklasJ wrote: Its a bogus list in all with their special-special circumstances and Image-bias.
I agree with this statement completely. Most times I see an article title like this I read it to find the author complaining about consumers buying too many super hero books and not being "open-minded". Only to find out the list or suggestions made are just as narrowly focused and exclusionary. Full of only the pseudo intellectual indie stuff that really is all the same, with one or two trendy motifs ad nauseam. Humor comics and all-ages comics never make these type lists, and horror is either not on the list or the entirety of the list.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

bralinator wrote:They listed their Top 5 Non-Superhero comics as follows:

1 ) Chrononauts
2 ) Descender
3 ) Alex + Ada
4 ) The Dying & The Dead
5 ) Southern (bleeps)

Two things stood out in this list. First, these are ALL Image comics. Secondly, two of them are no longer ongoing (Chrononauts & Alex + Ada) I also like the three of these that I have either collected, read, or at least sampled. I was also surprised Walking Dead didn't make this list...
I'm also surprising The Walking Dead didn't make the list.

I'm not sure of the status of The Dying and The Dead. I think all of the issues in the pipeline just got cancelled with the intent to resolicit. So, it might be running late at the very least.

I'd have been tempted to include Fables which just ended with #150 (aka TP v22).

Others I'd go with:
* Long Distance
* Star Trek
* Uncle Scrooge

I'm sure I could find a few others if I give it some more thought. A lot of what I read is in the super-hero genre. What can I say? I enjoy the genre.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

My faves are all non superheroes anyway:

Saga
Walking Dead
Lazarus
the Humans
Darth Vader
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

In no particular order...

- Lady Mechanika
- Letter 44
- The Wicked + The Divine
- Manifest Destiny
- East of West
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

This is a hard one, in fact I think I could come up with my top 5 superhero comics easier! Here it goes:

Autumnlands Tooth and Claw
Velvet
Revival
The Fade Out
Saga

Many runners up, including Darth Vader, Oddly Normal, Star Trek, Ivar Timewalker, Woods, and more.
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

-The Walking Dead
-Teen Dog (funny limited series)
-United States of Murder Inc (I'm assuming this is canceled since nothing has happened this year)
-Afterlife with Archie
-Deadly Class

I left Vader off because 'the Force' is almost the best super-power in my book. But if you'd give me a Triple-Zero & BeeTee book...I'd probably put it on the top of the list.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JohnMayo wrote: I'm not sure of the status of The Dying and The Dead. I think all of the issues in the pipeline just got cancelled with the intent to resolicit. So, it might be running late at the very least.
looks like DYING AND THE DEAD #3 should come out 9/2...a January scheduled release
jacovny
Contributor

Post by jacovny »

Star Trek: New Visions
Star Trek: Ongoing
Copperhead
Spongebob

And I don't know if this book has a future, but I've really enjoyed Chuck Dixon's "Winterworld".
Joe3c
Fan

Post by Joe3c »

In no particular order:

Autumnlands
Saga
Rat Queens
Enormous
Creepy

Honorable mentions to Southern (bleeps), the Goon, and Eerie.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

drew102e wrote:
JohnMayo wrote: I'm not sure of the status of The Dying and The Dead. I think all of the issues in the pipeline just got cancelled with the intent to resolicit. So, it might be running late at the very least.
looks like DYING AND THE DEAD #3 should come out 9/2...a January scheduled release
Sometimes trade-waiting requires a LOT of patience...
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

Post by clobberin_time_bs »

The ones I love right now:

East of West
Dying and the Dead
Walking Dead
Mythic
Letter 44
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

drew102e wrote:My faves are all non superheroes anyway:

Saga
Walking Dead
Lazarus
the Humans
Darth Vader
vader dropped out:

Saga
Walking Dead
Lazarus
the Humans
Crossed