Previews Spotlight #096 (Oct->Dec) Deadline: Sat AM, Oct 10

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #096 (Oct->Dec) Deadline: Sat AM, Oct 10

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, September 30th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, October 10th.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread with the full title, issue number and publisher. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

Please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3.

p###: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
Note that the "p" is lowercase. I use the name of the clip to sort the tracks in Audacity and it sorts all of lowercase letters before any of the uppercase letters. Obviously, I can fix this part of the filename if needed. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just use "p000-" instead and I'll look it up. Just use "p000-" for this part of the filename. If it is something not in Previews, use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.
M###: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews. If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

I've got some automation around the episode assembly process which uses the dashes to parse the filenames. Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

The episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.

Dark Horse: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=152994
DC: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=153288
IDW: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=154022
Image: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=153657
Marvel: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=153420

Archie (Dark Circle): http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=153741
BOOM!/Archaia: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=154511
Valiant: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=153937

If you see online solicitations for any of the publishers that aren't linked to here in the thread, please post the link.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #096 (Oct->Dec) Deadline: Sat AM, Oct

Post by bralinator »

Some early solicits have piqued my interest...
  • BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS – FRANK MILLER GALLERY EDITION HC
    JAMES BOND THE SPECTRE STRIPS
    JIRO KUWATA BATMANGA VOL. 3 TPB
    STAR TREK: JOHN BYRNE COLLECTION
    STAR WARS SPECIAL: C-3PO #1
    SPAWN #259
    SYMMETRY #1
    SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT #1
    WEIRDWORLD #1
Looks like all nearly all notable publisher solicits are out on this website, except IDW, BOOM!, and Dynamite (who is frequently late with their solicit postings):
http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?cat=50

For IDW, go here: http://www.newsarama.com/25922-idw-publ ... tions.html
For BOOM!, go here: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... oomdec.htm
For Dynamite, go here: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... itedec.htm

In fact, I think Comics Continuum has the most current, up to date solicits. And no pop-up ads! http://www.comicscontinuum.com
Last edited by bralinator on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

Interesting set of books this month. Here are my picks thus far:

DC - BATMAN/TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #1
DC - HARLEY’S LITTLE BLACK BOOK #1

Marvel - DAREDEVIL #1

Image - THE FADE OUT #12
Image - REVIVAL, VOL. 6: THY LOYAL SONS & DAUGHTERS TP
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

Dear Bralinator,
Thank you for posting the links for the December Solicits.

Here are my picks for this episode for now.
They are:

Marvel-The Astonishing Ant-Man #3
-Darth Vader Annual #1

Image-Image First Copperhead ($1.00)

Aloha!
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the ComicBookPage picks of the month:

DC

ROBIN WAR #1
Written by TOM KING
Art and cover by KHARY RANDOLPH
1:25 Variant cover by LEE BERMEJO
On sale DECEMBER 2 • 48 pg, FC, 1 of 2, $4.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.
THE ROBINS FACE THE COURT OF OWLS!
In part 1 of this new epic, it’s Robins vs. cops! Robins vs. Robins! Robins vs. Batman! And Robins vs. the Court of Owls?!
Damian Wayne returns to Gotham City, and he is not happy. There are kids all over the city calling themselves Robin, Bruce Wayne is no longer Batman and the GCPD, led by the new, armored-up Batman, is cracking down on anybody wearing the “R.” And things only get worse when Red Hood, Red Robin and Grayson all come back to Gotham City...

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US YEAR FOUR ANNUAL #1
Written by TOM TAYLOR
Art and cover by BRUNO REDONDO
On sale DECEMBER 30 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
Tom Taylor (EARTH 2, Superior Iron Man) returns to the series he launched for this one time special event that kicks off the story you’ll see in the upcoming INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US: YEAR 5. In his efforts to maintain world peace and wipe out crime, Superman has locked up all of Earth’s villains, as well as his enemies (including the Green Lantern Corps), in an undisclosed, impenetrable facility. Now, a surprising new prisoner may have discovered how to free himself and everyone else from this previously inescapable location.

THE PRIVATE EYE: THE CLOUDBURST EDITION HC
STORY: BRIAN K. VAUGHAN
ART: MARCOS MARTIN & MUNTSA VICENTE
COVER: MARCOS MARTIN
DECEMBER 2 / 304 PAGES / FC / M / 12 x 7.5 / $49.99
THE EISNER AWARD-WINNING "BEST DIGITAL COMIC" IS FINALLY AVAILABLE IN PRINT!
Because retailers, readers, and ROBERT KIRKMAN demanded it, the online sensation from PanelSyndicate.com’s BRIAN K. VAUGHAN (SAGA, PAPER GIRLS) and MARCOS MARTIN (The Amazing Spider-Man, Doctor Strange: The Oath) is finally coming to print with this gorgeous deluxe hardcover edition, presented in the story's original widescreen format!
Years after the digital cloud “bursts” and exposes all of our worst secrets, THE PRIVATE EYE is set in an inevitable future where everyone has a secret identity. Following an unlicensed P.I. who is thrust into the most important case of his life, this sci-fi mystery explores the nature of privacy with frightening prescience. Collects THE PRIVATE EYE #1-10

MARVEL

THE TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #1
GREG PAK (w) • FRANK CHO (a/C)
Variant cover by Frank Cho
Variant cover by Woo Cheol
Hip-Hop variant cover by Mahmud Asrar
ACTION FIGURE VARIANT BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
MARVEL ‘92 VARIANT BY DALE KEOWN
THERE’S A BRAND NEW HULK IN TOWN, AND HIS NAME IS AMADEUS CHO!
Get ready for the craziest Hulk story of the millennium as a kid genius decides he’s gonna be the best Hulk ever — and just possibly brings the entire Marvel Universe crashing down into chaos! Totally awesome beach day! Massive monster mayhem! She-Hulk and Lady Hellbender! Massive heart and ridiculous action brought to you by PLANET HULK writer Greg Pak and superstar artist Frank Cho! Is it possible for us to fit in one more exclamation point? YES!
40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

RED WOLF #1
NATHAN EDMONDSON (w) • DALIBOR TALAJIC (a)
COVER BY JEFFREY VEREGGE
VARIANT Cover by DALE KEOWN
HIP-HOP VARIANT BY MIKE DEL MUNDO
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
ONCE UPON A TIMELY IN THE WEST…
Frontier boomtown Timely has more than its share of scoundrels: it takes a hero to keep them in line. Red Wolf—the Cheyenne who crossed the desert and stood up to Mayor Wilson Fisk in Secret Wars’ 1872—is the only man who can fill fallen Sheriff Steve Rogers’ boots. As an outsider and an honest man, Red is going to need all his wits, and both his fists, to serve and protect. The tale of how Red Wolf wins the West starts in 1872, and will take him farther than he could ever imagine!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

SQUADRON SUPREME #1
They’re each the sole survivor of a lost Earth and they’ll do anything to protect this one, whether you like it or not. The Squadron Supreme — comprising Hyperion (Avengers), Nighthawk (Supreme Power), Dr. Spectrum (the Great Society), Blur (DP7) and Power Princess — are a team that doesn’t ask permission or what the rules are. To them all that matters is the safety of Earth and if you stand in the way…that’s your problem! Tell that to the Squadron’s first target — Namor, destroyer of Dr. Spectrum’s homeworld, who will have to pay for his crimes…but at what cost to the people of Atlantis.
32 PGS. (each)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (each)
JAMES ROBINSON (w) • LEONARD KIRK (a)
CoverS by ALEX ROSS
ISSUE #1 – VARIANT Cover by LEONARD KIRK
HIP-HOP VARIANT BY MIKE DEL MUNDO

OTHER PUBLISHERS

CHAPTERHOUSE COMICS

CAPTAIN CANUCK #7
(W) Kalman Andrasofszky (A) Leonard Kirk (CA) Kalman Andrasofszky
Site ALEPH is secured. Captain Canuck and his brother Michael finally have a working pact. Equilibrium is ready to explode onto the world stage and do good on a global scale. So everything's great, right? Wrong. Captain Canuck's second dynamic arc "The Gauntlet" starts here! (STK690451)
REGULAR COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99
PHOTO COVER—32pgs, FC $5.99

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

DOC SAVAGE: THE SPIDER'S WEB #1
Cover A: Wilfredo Torres
Writer: Chris Roberson
Art: Cezar Razek
While responding to a devastating earthquake in South America, Doc Savage and company discover that not only was the disaster far from natural, but that it seems to be linked to a menace that Doc faced many years before. As he begins to investigate, Doc discovers that a number of closed cases that he had considered to be isolated threats were in fact part of a larger web that he never suspected before now.
FC, 32pgs $3.99

TITAN COMICS

DOCTOR WHO: THE TWELFTH DOCTOR YEAR TWO #1
(W) Robbie Morrison (A) Rachael Stott (CA) Alice X Zhang
The Golden Years of the Doctor and Clara begin, as the twelfth Doctor comics leap into Series 9! Writer Robbie Morrison is back with a year-long extravaganza that kicks off with an excellent jumping-on point for new readers, while Rachael Stott (Star Trek) joins us as the new regular series artist! (STK689697)
RONALD REGULAR COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99
PHOTO SUBSCRIPTION COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99
STOTT VARIANT COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99
JAKE VARIANT COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99
BLANK SKETCH VARIANT COVER—32pgs, FC $3.99
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

I plan to send a clip for:

King Conan: Wolves beyond the Border #1 (of 4)
Joe3c
Fan

Post by Joe3c »

My picks are:

DC: Showcase presents Batman Vol 6
Image: Spawn #259
Action Lab: Bigfoot-Sword of the Earthman #1
Aftershock: Super Zero #1
BOOM!: Munchkin: Deck the Dungeons #1
DD/First: Warp. 30th Anniversary Edition TP
451 Media: Humbug #1
Heavy Metal: Interceptor #1
215 Ink: Enormous Volume 1 TP
Udon: Street Fighter Unlimited #1
Valiant: Ninjak #10
Z2: Allen Son of Hellcock #1
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Massive #1 -Dark Horse
Vertigo#1s -DC (feel free to replace this one if others submit vertigo #1 clips)
Humans #1 -Image (First)
Superior Iron Man TPB -Marvel
Code Monkey Save World GN -PakManProductions
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
SupermanFan
Contributor

Post by SupermanFan »

Dark Horse Comics: Rebels #9
DC Comics: Action Comics #47
Superman Annual #3
Superman #47
Superman: Lois & Clark #3
Vertigo/DC: Astro City #30
IDW: Atomic Robo And The Ring Of Fire #4 (of 5)
Image Comics: Astronauts In Trouble #7
Invincible #126
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

Post by clobberin_time_bs »

Here are my clips that I'll be sending in.

Uncanny X-men #1 from Marvel
Mythic #7 from Image
Mirror's Edge Exordium from Dark Horse