Brubakers Fade Out only 12 issues

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Brubakers Fade Out only 12 issues

Post by drew »

Bummer one of my faves looks to be ending:

THE FADE OUT #12 (OF 12)
STORY: ED BRUBAKER
ART / COVER: SEAN PHILLIPS & ELIZABETH BREITWEISER
DECEMBER 16 / 40 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99
SERIES CONCLUSION
It all ends here! The dramatic wrap-up to the mystery and to Brubaker and Phillips' bestselling and most ambitious project yet!
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
Perseus
Reviewer

Re: Brubakers Fade Out only 12 issues

Post by Perseus »

Drew, which Brubaker title would you recommend? I always liked his super hero stuff except the X-Men run. His dialogue would have a nice flow to it.

I was thinking maybe Criminal ? What do you like most ?
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

I share the pain! I was either blissfully unaware that this was only 12 issues, or just ignorant . . . But it has been fantastic! I only hope that finishing this up can move Velvet along at a faster pace. It't not that I am getting off the train, it's just that I want MORE! :)

Or, perhaps this means the next project is breaking down the door to be solicited shortly? I did hear back when he did the Criminal one shot that there might be another arc or two of that story that he wants to write.

Brubaker is a master, there is nothing else to say.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

Perseus wrote:Drew, which Brubaker title would you recommend? I always liked his super hero stuff except the X-Men run. His dialogue would have a nice flow to it.

I am not Drew, but more than happy to add my thoughts! For me the order of Brubaker books that I have read goes like this:

Velvet
Fade Out
Criminal
Fatale

If you like his superhero style, Velvet might be a good place for you. The story frames a female ex-sepcial ops agent in a James Bond style story. Truly a page burner! It comes out at an infrequent pace (~6-7 weeks I think), but has two trades out, so there is plenty to sample.

Criminal is also a great series that has interconnected stand alone trade arcs. More street level gritty, and does not hold back on violence, drug use, and language. It's not tasteless, just nothing held back. Great series.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Perseus wrote:Drew, which Brubaker title would you recommend? I always liked his super hero stuff except the X-Men run. His dialogue would have a nice flow to it.

I have loved Velvet and Fade Out
Fatale didn't grab me
Still haven't read Criminal or Scene of the Crime yet but they are next up
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)