Rate of attrition on new craft/indie titles

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

SvenCarlson
Visitor

Rate of attrition on new craft/indie titles

Post by SvenCarlson »

John,

I was wondering what the numbers tell us on the rate of attrition on new books from the big two as compared to the craft publishers.

Are the average and median rates much different between the two groups? If so, what would you theorize the reasons for those differences are?

Thanks,
Ben Truax of The Craft Comics Cast.
WWW.craft-comics.com
drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Rate of attrition on new craft/indie titles

Post by drew »

would be interesting to see if attrition varies by publisher from Issue 4 on (less interested in 1-3)
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Can you guys give me a better idea of what your are looking for?

The challenge in doing title attrition metrics is accounting for miniseries and other titles which launch with known endpoints.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
SvenCarlson
Visitor

Post by SvenCarlson »

I wasnt as concerned with weeding out mini or maxi series, especially considering those shorter series make up a large percentage of is produced by craft publishers.. I suppose you could also say the big two are moving to a maxi series model by rebooting or renumbering every 12 issues or so.

Trying to make all things even and more representative I would look at the rate between issues 1 and 3. Otherwise how would you account for all intentional or unintentional mini or maxi series.

Just my thoughts. Maybe theres more meaningful sets of data to look at to determine the general rate of attrition difference between the groups mentioned above.

My guess is that the continual reboots of the big two will be a big factor in a larger rate of attrition.