Daredevil Season 1 Discussion

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

bralinator
Special Reviewer

Daredevil Season 1 Discussion

Post by bralinator »

Podcast episode: http://comicbookpage.com/Podcast/?p=1394

Thanks for giving us your review of the Netflix Daredevil series. I really enjoyed it as well. I wanted to point out a couple of things that you may not have been aware of about the series.

Netflix added an audio description track to “Daredevil,” allowing blind and visually impaired fans an alternate way to enjoy the series without needing to see the visuals. The new feature, Netflix explained, “is a narration track that describes what is happening on-screen, including physical actions, facial expressions, costumes, settings and scene changes,” adding that viewers could access the narration “just like choosing the soundtrack in a different language.” So now I am interested in going back and just listening to it like an audio book.

Might help you with the bloodier scenes, John.

I may have misunderstood, but I think I heard you say there weren't any courtroom scenes, but episode 3 featured some. Maybe binge-watching was a hindrance to remembering everything that happened.

Evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79B7QQRCWtg

And if what you meant you'd like to see more, then I agree wholeheartedly. Of course, I may have simply misunderstood your comment.

Season 2 is set for release in 2016. Filming began in July 2015. I'd certainly like to hear anyone else's thoughts about the series.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Daredevil Season 1 Discussion

Post by JohnMayo »

bralinator wrote:Netflix added an audio description track to “Daredevil,” allowing blind and visually impaired fans an alternate way to enjoy the series without needing to see the visuals. The new feature, Netflix explained, “is a narration track that describes what is happening on-screen, including physical actions, facial expressions, costumes, settings and scene changes,” adding that viewers could access the narration “just like choosing the soundtrack in a different language.” So now I am interested in going back and just listening to it like an audio book.

That is a very interesting concept. I'm somewhat curious how they would verbally describe some of those scenes. Not sure if that would help much or not.
bralinator wrote:I may have misunderstood, but I think I heard you say there weren't any courtroom scenes, but episode 3 featured some. Maybe binge-watching was a hindrance to remembering everything that happened.

Evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79B7QQRCWtg

And if what you meant you'd like to see more, then I agree wholeheartedly. Of course, I may have simply misunderstood your comment.
If I recall correctly, we started by saying there were no courtroom scenes but quickly recalled the trial scene you pointed out from the third episode. That was really the only time we see Murdock in court as a trial lawyer. Other than that and a scene or two in a police interrogation room, he is hardly shown as being a lawyer in the first season. not a big deal but I was expecting a bit more legal drama than we got.

Binge watching does cause things to blur together with some of the details getting lost. Apparently 12 hours of television consumed within about 26 hours of time is a bit more than my brain can handle.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

JohnMayo wrote:
bralinator wrote:Netflix added an audio description track to “Daredevil,” allowing blind and visually impaired fans an alternate way to enjoy the series without needing to see the visuals. The new feature, Netflix explained, “is a narration track that describes what is happening on-screen, including physical actions, facial expressions, costumes, settings and scene changes,” adding that viewers could access the narration “just like choosing the soundtrack in a different language.” So now I am interested in going back and just listening to it like an audio book.

That is a very interesting concept. I'm somewhat curious how they would verbally describe some of those scenes. Not sure if that would help much or not.
Check out this scene. One of more gruesome (imo), and try only listening to the audio description without watching. I think it's a radical and outstanding idea, given the show's premise (blind super-hero)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4
NDHorse
Contributor

Post by NDHorse »

While not a lawyer myself, I work with a lot of them. Hardly any of them ever step foot in a court room. We have a couple that are specifically trial attorneys. If anything ever has to go to court, they take care of it.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I not a lawyer either. I was basing my expectations on legal dramas, not the reality of being a lawyer. I was thinking of things like Boston Legal and shows like that. I didn't expect it to be the main focus of the show but I was expecting more than the one case.

That having been said, I was also expecting a more episodic show than we got. Given the season probably only covered a few weeks of story time, them only having just the one trial case does make sense.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive