Previews Spotlight #098 (Dec->Feb) Deadline: Sat AM, Dec 5

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

SupermanFan
Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #098 (Dec->Feb) Deadline: Sat AM, Dec

Post by SupermanFan »

I don't know yet if I'll be getting the Neal Adams' Superman mini-series. I might because it's a bit of a light month for me so far, after looking at the online February solicits for the major publishers. It depends on what catches my interest in the back of Previews, like if Terry Moore's Rachel Rising will release an issue in February or TwoMorrows has a magazine I like.
SupermanFan
Reviewer

Post by SupermanFan »

So far here's what I have:
Dark Horse Comics:
USAGI YOJIMBO #152
DC Comics/Vertigo:
ACTION COMICS #49
ASTRO CITY #32
SUPERMAN #49
SUPERMAN: LOIS AND CLARK #5
IDW:
WYNONA EARP #1 of 6
Image:
ASTRONAUTS IN TROUBLE #9 of 11
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:I'm going to give it try this month. Hopefully it works. So I'm only going to try one...

IDW
The Payback$ #6
Dear Rowdy From Scrubs,

Have fun making the clip.

If you go to a local comic book store, give a shout out for them.

Aloha!
Jason
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

SupermanFan wrote:I don't know yet if I'll be getting the Neal Adams' Superman mini-series. I might because it's a bit of a light month for me so far, after looking at the online February solicits for the major publishers. It depends on what catches my interest in the back of Previews, like if Terry Moore's Rachel Rising will release an issue in February or TwoMorrows has a magazine I like.

Dear Superman Fan,

If you do decide, it would be cool to hear your clip on Neal Adams' Superman mini-series.

Aloha!
Jason
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

And I've finally gotten around to selecting the ComicBookPage picks of the month:

DARK HORSE

Tomb Raider #1
Mariko Tamaki (W), Phillip Sevy (A), Michael Atiyeh (C), and Agustin Alessio (Cover)
On sale Feb 17
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing
After Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara Croft's adventure continues in a new comic series by Eisner Award winning writer Mariko Tamaki (This One Summer)!
Lara Croft is pursuing a lost truth about the world that just might unlock the secret to defeating death! She becomes entangled in a search for a rare mushroom said to grant immortality and a lethal new enemy that just won't die!
• Continuing where the Rise of the Tomb Raider game left off!

DC

BATMAN #49
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Art and cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
Variant cover by NEAL ADAMS
On sale FEBRUARY 10 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
It is time. Bruce Wayne has reclaimed his true past as Batman. Now he must descend into the cave and face what he once was. Can he truly leave behind a life free from the pain and anguish of the Bat? Can he plunge once more into the madness and purpose that once consumed him? In this special, thrilling issue, watch as the fate of Bruce Wayne, and Batman, is decided once and for all.

SUPERMAN: THE COMING OF THE SUPERMEN #1
Written by NEAL ADAMS
Art and cover by NEAL ADAMS
1:25 B&W Variant cover by NEAL ADAMS
On sale FEBRUARY 3 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $3.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
From legendary writer/artist Neal Adams comes a threat so epic it will take more than one Man of Steel to handle it in this new 6-issue miniseries!
As Darkseid and the hordes of Apokolips lay waste to the world, even Superman is overwhelmed—but not for long, as three heroes from the miniaturized city of Kandor emerge at full size, armed with all the vast powers of Kal-El, ready to become the new Supermen!
This battle of titans also features the machinations of Lex Luthor, plus fan favorites Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane aiding in the fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way.

MARVEL

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #7
DAN SLOTT (W) • MATTEO BUFFAGNI (A)
CoverS by ALEX ROSS
Issue #7 – VARIANT COVER BY MICHAEL CHO
Cloak and Dagger are serving MISTER NEGATIVE in his war on Spider-Man! But how?!
Things get even worse as Mister Negative inverts Peter Parker himself!

OTHER PUBLISHERS

BOOM! STUDIOS
BILL & TED GO TO HELL #1 (of 4)
Retail Price: $3.99
Writer: Brian Joines
Artist: Bachan
Cover Artists:
Main Cover: Jamal Campbell
Subscription “Album” Cover: Logan Faerber
Incentive Cover: Sean “Cheeks” Galloway
Incentive Cover: Scott Koblish
What’s to Love:
It’s time again to be excellent to each other! We showed just how much we love Bill & Ted with 2015’s
Bill & Ted’s Most Triumphant Return, and since 2016 is the 25th anniversary of Bill & Ted’s Bogus
Journey, why not celebrate with a new mini-series that sends the lovable duo back to Hell?
What It Is:
Bill & Ted are back for a brand-new miniseries, this time with the Imagine Agents team of Brian Joines
and Bachan at the helm. Bill & Ted and the Princesses have to reunite with their historic friends to knock
down the Devil’s door and get their friend Death back. With the help of Rufus, Billy the Kid, Joan of Arc,
and more, this is the showdown that will rock the supernatural world. History vs. Hell. Too bad Hell has
some surprises up its sleeve…

KENNEL BLOCK BLUES #1 (of 4)
Retail Price: $3.99
Writer: Ryan Ferrier
Artist: Daniel Bayliss
Cover Artists:
Main Cover: Daniel Bayliss
Incentive Cover: Nick Pitarra
What’s to Love:
From Oz to Shawshank Redemption, we just love great prison dramas. But what if the prison in question
is an animal shelter? Ryan Ferrier (Curb Stomp) and Daniel Bayliss (Translucid) combine the tradition of
great anthropomorphic stories like Wild’s End and Blacksad with the madcap twists of Six-Gun Gorilla
and Chew in their new series Kennel Block Blues.
What It Is:
Oliver is a good dog. A family dog. But without warning, he’s sentenced to Jackson Kennel, where he’s
instantly placed on Death Row with the rest of his fellow inmates, awaiting a lethal appointment on The
Table if salvation doesn’t come. He’ll need help escaping the Kennel, but when the stress of prison life
builds, he starts escaping reality instead, imagining a fantasy world of cartoon friends. It’s time to break
out…into a musical number?

CHAPTERHOUSE COMICS
ALL-NEW CLASSIC CAPTAIN CANUCK #0
(W) Ed Brisson
(A) George Freeman & Various
(CA) George Freeman
Chapterhouse Comics is proud to present an all-new monthly series! All-New Classic Canuck began as 6-page back stories in the first arc of Chapterhouse’s original Captain Canuck series. These stories picked up where the original Captain Canuck left off in the 1980’s and sees him time-hopping from adventure to adventure. Now, writer Ed Brisson teams up with Canuck alumni George Freeman to bring you “All-New Classic Captain Canuck”! This 64-page issue collects the 6-page back stories from issues #0-6 of the original Canuck series, features the variant cover gallery, and includes sneak peeks of what’s to come!
Item Code: DEC151177
In Shops: 2/24/2016
SRP: $4.99

VALIANT
IMPERIUM #13 (NEW ARC! “STORMBREAK” – PART 1)
Written by JOSHUA DYSART
Art by KHARI EVANS
Cover A by ROBERT GILL
Cover B by CAFU
Valiant x CGC Replica Variant by CLAYTON HENRY
Variant Cover by RYAN LEE
Variant Cover by JUAN JOSE RYP
ALL-NEW ARC! JUMP ON BOARD HERE! “STORMBREAK” is about to bombard the front lines of the Valiant Universe!
The world’s most powerful team of mercenaries is on the defense…as an elite international kill squad led by Livewire and H.A.R.D. Corps’ Major Charlie Palmer descends to destroy Imperium’s stronghold!
Toyo Harada will save the world…if he doesn’t doom it first. The revolutionary disruption that Harada and his team have launched – by deposing tyrants, housing refugees, and feeding the poor – has come at the expense of the world’s wealthiest nations. When the planet’s leaders have had enough, it will be decided: Toyo Harada must die. Now a crack unit of operatives will stand against Harada on the global stage…with his own former pupil Livewire taking him head-on. Meanwhile, Harada’s military lieutenant Gravedog meets his match when Palmer drops into the firefight of a lifetime…H.A.R.D. Corps vs. H.A.R.D. Corps!
The war starts here as New York Times best-selling writer Joshua Dysart (HARBINGER) and chart-topping artist Robert Gill (BOOK OF DEATH) unite for an explosive new jumping-on point…pitting the Valiant Universe’s notorious team of monsters and revolutionaries against the very system they’ve sworn to overthrow!
$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On sale FEBRUARY 17

As always, if you want to do a clip on some of these, feel free to do so.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
SupermanFan
Reviewer

Post by SupermanFan »

My full list from the December Previews:

Dark Horse Comics:
USAGI YOJIMBO #152

DC Comics:
SUPERMAN: THE COMING OF THE SUPERMEN #1/6 (Because the solicit reminds me of the Superman Emergency Squad stories from my childhood in the 1960's)
ACTION COMICS #49
SUPERMAN #49
SUPERMAN: LOIS & CLARK #5

Vertigo/DC:
ASTRO CITY #32

IDW:
WYNONA EARP #1

Image:
ASTRONAUTS IN TROUBLE #9 (of 11)

Abstract Studios:
RACHEL RISING #40
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

My Picks:

King's Road #1
Dark & Bloody #1
Starve #6
ANAD Wolverine #5
Second Sight #1
Crossed Badlands #93/94
Resurrection Man #1
Tinker #1
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
Joe3c
Fan

Post by Joe3c »

My Picks are:

IDW:
Street Fighter x GI Joe #1
Airboy Archives Vol. 4

Action Lab:
Voracious #1

Devil's Due/First:
The Badger #1

Graphic India:
Shikari Force #1

Super Genius:
Mr. Hero Vol 1

Titan:
Fourth Doctor #1

Thanks!
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Kudos to all of the contributors. I decided to bow out on the Neal Adams Coming of the Supermen discussion. Maybe I will spotlight it when they collect it in trade. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

bralinator wrote:Kudos to all of the contributors. I decided to bow out on the Neal Adams Coming of the Supermen discussion. Maybe I will spotlight it when they collect it in trade. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!
Dear Bralinator,

I look forward to hearing your clip when the trade comes out.

Mele Kalikimaka!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

MrAloha wrote:Kudos to all!
Thanks for the Comics for Fun and Profit shout out Jason very cool of you
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

[/quote]

Thanks for the Comics for Fun and Profit shout out Jason very cool of you[/quote]

Dear Drew,

That's no problem giving a shout out to you and brother's podcast. I love the podcast. I still got to get around in submitting an iTunes review.

I just want to be that 25th reviewer. (Ha. Ha.) I'm joking.

Seriously, I probably submit a review soon because these are the only two (your's and John's) comic book review podcast I listen to every week.

Mele Kalikimaka!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

MrAloha wrote:
Dear Drew,

That's no problem giving a shout out to you and brother's podcast. I love the podcast. I still got to get around in submitting an iTunes review. I just want to be that 25th reviewer. (Ha. Ha.) I'm joking. Seriously, I probably submit a review soon because these are the only two (your's and John's) comic book review podcast I listen to every week.
awesome - thank you